Hey guys allright heres the thing. I have been an avid EMG user for going on 4 years now but i feel a change is now nessecary. I need chord articulation with Distortion but i cant get it out of EMGs because it has so many overtones and just pushes everything. I know passives are better at things like this but passives just dont have enough power for me. The only passive i really like is the Super Distortion. So thats why im asking about BKs as an american i just dont know that much about them. I need a Bridge that is articualte with nice tight low end but still with alot of power that i can get some articulation out of when chording. and i need a Neck pickup with good cleans and a liquidy smooth solo tone.

SO UK guys lend me a helping hand
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Syn Harvest
I need a Bridge that is articualte with nice tight low end but still with alot of power that i can get some articulation out of when chording. and i need a Neck pickup with good cleans and a liquidy smooth solo tone.

From reading that, I think a Miracle Man/Cold Sweat combonation mightn't be a bad choice. I have a Miracle man and am deciding what to get for the neck soon (Really leaning towards a Cold Sweat, popular combo and sounds like what I'm looking for)

The Miracle Man has a great low end and great highs for solos. Some over at the Bareknuckle boards say it has a kinda scooped sound as far as Mids are concerned but I found quite the opposite, I like my Mids low and I found myself putting them lower than usual when I first got it. It definately has enough to cut through the mix. From the pickups you've already looked at I assume you're looking for something that's High output. I'd definately head over to the Players section on the BK boards and Have a listen to some of the Miracle man clips (There are so many brilliant ones but I particularly liked the ones done by Redwarp)

As for the Cold Sweat, While I haven't used one I'm seriously considering getting one, and it's known on the BK boards for having great cleans, an Excellent solo tone and for matching great with a bridge Miracle Man. Again, check ut the BK boards for some soundclips.

hope you find what you're looking for
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
thx alot man when you get them let me know how you feel about them. `

If your in america do you know a good online dealer
hey syn, don't know if this is useful, but I was in kind of the same boat. I've been looking for something for a long time that has the balls of an 81 in a passive. The MM is the closest I've found, but it really makes a big difference in the specific guitar, and using their recommended wiring, at least IME. I was a little dissappointed with them in a mahogany body believe it or not, it was accidental that I found they sounded better in my basswood body. Everyone else uses them in mahogany, so I dunno, personal preference I guess. I was messing around today with my RG with BK's, I was testing the sound of my GNX4 thru my BBE sonic max. It's using a basswood body with a calibrated MM set. The quality isn't great because it's using Microsoft Moviemaker, but it's straight into the soundcard "line in" with no EQ, and it sounds better live. don't mind the sloppy playing. clip

From what Genocided told me, the Full Shred is also a pretty good HO pup, but I've never used it. He swears by it though. The BK's are really nice, but super pricey if you are in the states, the exchange rate sucks for us right now. As nice as they are, I don't think I would pay the scratch for them at today's exchange rate. They just aren't far enough a leap from the EMG's to be worth double the price IMO, at least for metal. Just personal opinion. As an aside, have you tried the 89 in the neck position? Very good cleans and excellent lead tone. This was done with a podxt using the 89 in humbucking mode for both the dirty lead and clean rhythm. clip
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
the miracle man is prob the closest ull get to an emg 81/85. maybe a ceramic warpig would be good too but it sounds much different. the coldsweat would prob be a good neck match. i haven't listened to a lot of MM or CS clips since I'm kinda leaning towards a set of nailbombs but there are plentyof clips on the BK forum.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by Erock503
hey syn, don't know if this is useful, but I was in kind of the same boat. I've been looking for something for a long time that has the balls of an 81 in a passive. The MM is the closest I've found, but it really makes a big difference in the specific guitar, and using their recommended wiring, at least IME. I was a little dissappointed with them in a mahogany body believe it or not, it was accidental that I found they sounded better in my basswood body. Everyone else uses them in mahogany, so I dunno, personal preference I guess. I was messing around today with my RG with BK's, I was testing the sound of my GNX4 thru my BBE sonic max. It's using a basswood body with a calibrated MM set. The quality isn't great because it's using Microsoft Moviemaker, but it's straight into the soundcard "line in" with no EQ, and it sounds better live. don't mind the sloppy playing. clip

From what Genocided told me, the Full Shred is also a pretty good HO pup, but I've never used it. He swears by it though. The BK's are really nice, but super pricey if you are in the states, the exchange rate sucks for us right now. As nice as they are, I don't think I would pay the scratch for them at today's exchange rate. They just aren't far enough a leap from the EMG's to be worth double the price IMO, at least for metal. Just personal opinion. As an aside, have you tried the 89 in the neck position? Very good cleans and excellent lead tone. This was done with a podxt using the 89 in humbucking mode for both the dirty lead and clean rhythm. clip

Ya the first clip sounds pretty good( I wont mention the playing because i play the exact same way just slightly sloppy dont worry it adds character lol at least thats what i tell myself lol) Good tone but your right about the exchange rate thats why i was hoping to find a good US importer or something but i guess it wont happen and i dont want to shell away my first born son for the PIck ups. Looks like im in a little but of a dilema.

I like the full shred and the Super Distortion two of my favorite PAssive i just dont know if they are hot enough for me. Im gonna see what the deal is on the BKs probably because i get my income tax back in a couple of weeks and am gonna be using it to pay for somestuff so i might just shell out the cash. As for the 89 played it and didnt like it. 1) not a big fan of split coils just dont like them. 2) i prefer the 85 and 60 to everything it does. ill admit that the 89 has better cleans than the 85 but the 85s solo tone is much better as well as i believe the 60 beats the 89 all around.

Im just FVCKED its that simple. Im probably not gonna find the pick up i need unless i do ship from overseas because the ones in the states just dont do it for me. So im fvcked if i buy them and fvced if i dont. SOB someone buy them for me and fly to the states and give them to me ill pay ya back lol
So anyone else played any kind of BKs that might be good for me
Take a look at BK Nailbomb for the bridge. Maybe a P90 for the neck?
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
P90 will provide plenty of punch at the neck.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
no it wont i have played lots of p90s and i like them great for classic stuff no good for metal
www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

there's a forum over there and/or you could pm or email tim, the owner. you won't hear any negative things about them, lol, but you'll get the best possible advice on specific models for the tone you're after.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ya i know they are all good i just dont know what would be best for me i would also like to know the prices im not gonna give away my first born son for this. lol. but i do need something good i want to try the new Duncan custom i forgot the exact name i just know its a new custom model
the (humbucker) pickups are £90 each, uncovered, or £170 for a set of 2 uncovered.

Subtract around 15% (for the tax you can avoid paying), add £7.50 (i think) for postage, then convert that to dollars using www.xe.com .

that should get you into the ballpark.

I know I said you won't get negative impressions of the BKP's, but if you do decide to go with them, you'll get the best recommendations over there too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ya i see what your saying thx dave question as i know yoru a BK ***** which ones do you use and do you have any clips

Edit its coming out to be 350 estimated plus instillation as im horrible with a soldering iron. i might just go with something local
^ yeah, they are a lot. wolfetone, sd (not duncan, actually stephens design), wcr, lollar, high order would all be guys I'd consider if I were in the USA. Probably some others I've forgotten too. Like harmonic design.

I have a miracle man/cold sweat combo on order for a custom guitar, won't be here for a while yet, unfortunately.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
BKP's pwn. But if you read my other thread, I was desribing on how my friend's STARcaster sounded strangely better than my ec-1000 with mules (tone wise).

Then someone stated that "Single coils sound better than ALL humbuckers, even the top of the line ones."

I'm sorry, I just had to say it to get out of my system

/miny rant.

But BKP's are great, I just don't think I'm doing them justice.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
^ I'd appreciate a link to that.

I agree, though, too many bandwagon-jumpers take advice/statements meant only to apply in very specific circumstances and use them willy-nilly for ALL CASES!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I'd appreciate a link to that.

I agree, though, too many bandwagon-jumpers take advice/statements meant only to apply in very specific circumstances and use them willy-nilly for ALL CASES!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508255&highlight=mules

Second page.

Honestly, I do alot of what the mules are meant to do; rock and hard rock. I must say though, they sound amazing on the cleans, but like I said, I suck at EQ-ing...even on the distortion side.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, they are a lot. wolfetone, sd (not duncan, actually stephens design), wcr, lollar, high order would all be guys I'd consider if I were in the USA. Probably some others I've forgotten too. Like harmonic design.

I have a miracle man/cold sweat combo on order for a custom guitar, won't be here for a while yet, unfortunately.

I like the Description of the Wolfetone pickups do you know anyone who uses them or do you know where some clips are?
^ unless they're on the wolfetone homepage, unfortunately not. Sorry...

Quote by Jinskee
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508255&highlight=mules

Second page.

Honestly, I do alot of what the mules are meant to do; rock and hard rock. I must say though, they sound amazing on the cleans, but like I said, I suck at EQ-ing...even on the distortion side.

my guess is what the guys said, cut the reverb, crank the mids. I was playing a cube today, i just left all the eq at noon, no fx, and used the different amp models for differing tones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How Bass Heavy is the Bill Lawrence L-500XL does it have a nice low end chunk or is it all treble like Dimes tone. Never played one in a good set up
Haha

Cheers, Dave. I'm telling you, soon enough, I'll be getting tehz tUb3 ampz, someone already wants to be all of my xbox 360 stuff for near 400 USD now.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?