Hi ,

I usually tune my guitar half down ...to suite my vocal range....but use the same chord shapes as in starndard tuning...is this like ...the wrong way to play since the tuning is different? it sounds fine to me ...
As long as you know you're a half step down, you're fine. Hell, SRV played a step down all the time. Just remember that when you play with other people, have them tune down, or you tune up. Or you guys can just adjust.
It suited Hendrix and SRV fine.

EDIT: If you tune all the strings down an even amount of steps, then you should be able to use the same chord shapes, you'll just have to remember to compensate and move the chords up a fret.
Quote by inlovewithmusic
ok ...but did SRV use the same chord shapes ?

yeah.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
you can use the same chord shapes, it just wont be the same chord.
if you play what is an EMaj in standard, then tune down a half step,
then it'll be and EbMaj so
It's the exact same chord shapes. They just sound a half step lower.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
No it isnt wrong to play like that. GNR always played half step down. I don't think theyre wrong.

DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
You can use the same shapes, but they won't be the same chords.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Yes.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
It's fine to play this way and many artists play in flat tuning for most of their careers.

In standard tuning if you play an E major chord, the exact same chord will be Eb major if you tune down. You should only really have troubles when playing with people who play in standard (you could throw a capo on first fret and play normally and you'd be in standard) or when playing along to song(s) that are in standard tuning etc.

I personally think I need to play with a capo on anywhere between the second and fourth frets to suit my voice properly...blasted voice.
Guns N' Roses do that all the time.

Look where Slash is, there's a picture of him sitting in a room with about 50 Gibsons.

If he can do it so can you. Unless you don't have a top hat.
R E G G A E