WHat it says...
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
So it really doesnt matter which one i pick?
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty

Quote by ZanasCross
i don't have much knownledge concerning amps but i'd wait for more people to respond before making a choice. you probably know this already, but try before you buy.
the main difference is that the DSL sounds better to most people, although it has one less channel.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
What is the channel the dsl doesn't have?
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty

Quote by ZanasCross
Quote by AngelOfSorrow
What is the channel the dsl doesn't have?

ok..
loot at it this way..
The DSL has a Clean/Crunch channel and a Crunch/Lead channel
The Clean/Crunch channel goes from Clean to old school JCM 800,
on the Crunch/Lead channel, it goes from hotrodded JCM800 to modern tones...

The TSL has 2 Clean/Crunch, and a Crunch/Lead channels..
Essentially the same thing as the DSL, except an extra clean channel...

IMO the DSL sounds better, and quite a few people will agree, this is because the simplified signal path, compared to the TSL... or at least, 90% of articles I've read about it attribute the tone to this...

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
the ultra channel if im not mistaken.

nah, the TSL doesn't get heavier.. it only really gets cleaner...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
^ The 'high gain" one. They sound completely different, so no, the TSL isn't a DSL with "more knobs."
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
So the DSL IS better? (Tone wise) Oh yeah does it have he reverb knobs for each channel like the TSL?
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty

Quote by ZanasCross
Hmm, so simplified signal paths make amps sound better? Interesting... I guess that's why some people like old 2-channel Dual Recs over the new ones? There's also a Soldano that's supposed to copy the SLO's overdrive circuit, but only one channel instead of 2 or 3 (I don't know which), and it's only half the price; they were advertising that it had a simpler circuit so it had more punch or someting. Why would that be the case?
oh and if you are buying new, just wait till the JVM comes out, by all acounts ive heard it blows the JCM 2000s out of the water.

Last.fm
Quote by Abbott
More knobs = more options.

More knobs= more things that can go wrong with the amp......
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
oh and if you are buying new, just wait till the JVM comes out, by all acounts ive heard it blows the JCM 2000s out of the water.

When?

How Much?

How Good?

Better than JCM 800 or 900's?
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty

Quote by ZanasCross
$1500 new give or take, supposedly better than the 900s with more gain than the 2000s and its a four channel. and its already out in England dont know about the US but it will be within a few months no doubt.

Last.fm
That's just sickening. And only for $1500? Damn. Hey man do you have AIM, Kid_Thorazine?
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty

Quote by ZanasCross
Meh...

Quote by Harmony Central
The Marshall JVM Series Amplifiers are available in early 2007, with U.S. MSRPs as follows: JVM410C 100-Watt Combo — $3000.00; JVM410H 100-Watt Head — $2500.00.
Then again, that's list price, I suppose retail would be in the mid 1k's somewhere.

Looks like it has a shared EQ, though; I would have assumed it was a 1-channel if Kid hadn't stated otherwise.
Obviously, I'm a noob with this amp stuff, so dont flame me for asking this, but will prices go down for this amp just like video game systems do?
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty

Quote by ZanasCross
$1500 is what the heads are going for in england theyll be about the same here (they would be cheaper in england obviously, but england has higher taxes.) and the prices wont go down untill marshall introduces a new line, though you can expect the prices on the JCM 2000s to drop.

Last.fm
Quote by De Amazing Blob
Hmm, so simplified signal paths make amps sound better? Interesting... I guess that's why some people like old 2-channel Dual Recs over the new ones? There's also a Soldano that's supposed to copy the SLO's overdrive circuit, but only one channel instead of 2 or 3 (I don't know which), and it's only half the price; they were advertising that it had a simpler circuit so it had more punch or someting. Why would that be the case?

No, better design makes an amp sound better. An amp doesn't need to be simple to sound good, it just has to be good in the first place.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
The DSL is alot better than the TSL, the TSL is extremly muddy!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
The DSL has two channles, the TSL has three. They're very different amps really and i'd say too that the DSL is probably better tone wise, but i find the 3 channles on the TSL is easier to work with.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
There are a few Youtube vids of the JVM, but it's obviously quite hard to judge an amp based on audio as compressed as that. I've got a DSL50 and it's fantastic, I tried a couple of TSL401's and 601's too, but I never got round to trying the TSL heads, but I prefer the DSL.

The JVM's have controls for the preamp on them called 'Body' and 'Detail' I think you can also call up presets with MIDI, sounds pretty good actually, they possibly are better amps than the 2000's, but I don't' know if they're £300 better.
I'm willing to bet when the DSL's and TSL's came out there was a lot of hype then too only to fizzle when people found out that new is not always better. I'm not expecting any true Marshall vintage tone out of either the JVM or the Vintage Modern lines but who knows. Those youtube videos are the Vintage Modern too by the way not the JVM if it's the ones by the Chris George Band you're talking about Mr Songwriter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNU5LxsnSos&mode=related&search=

As for which is better, the DSL or the TSL I'd hope the DSL was better cause the TSL is nothing special. With lots of EQing you can get some good tones but it takes a lot of messing around. My 800 is miles ahead of it.
^ yep, i saw the DSL 401 for $700 in HOngkong lol
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
yeah i'd stay away from the heads to be honest. get the combo I have it and it's alot better than the head(DSL) stay away from the TSL too i find it to be rather muddy
Quote by treagar
I'm willing to bet when the DSL's and TSL's came out there was a lot of hype then too only to fizzle when people found out that new is not always better. I'm not expecting any true Marshall vintage tone out of either the JVM or the Vintage Modern lines but who knows. Those youtube videos are the Vintage Modern too by the way not the JVM if it's the ones by the Chris George Band you're talking about Mr Songwriter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNU5LxsnSos&mode=related&search=

As for which is better, the DSL or the TSL I'd hope the DSL was better cause the TSL is nothing special. With lots of EQing you can get some good tones but it takes a lot of messing around. My 800 is miles ahead of it.
The Vintage Modern I tried sounded really lacklustre at low volumes, but I didn't try it cranked - I hear it sounds AMAZING cranked.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
who said "less knobs better tone??" so you people say the less knobs you have the nicer the tone is, so DSL better than TSL..... and JVM?? it got all the covered of knobs and its the best one in line?? lol its supposed to be the worse cause of that theory.
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
^ i prefer the jvm to the dsl and tsl. As TGM said about 6 months back () the amp has to be designed well. Frequently simple amps sound amazing because of the simplicity of the circuit, but that's not to say a well-designed complicated circuit can't also sound good.

^^ mr carrot: i wouldn't say the vintage modern sounds amazing cranked. better, more like. but it's horrible at lower volumes.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by British_Steal
yeah i'd stay away from the heads to be honest. get the combo I have it and it's alot better than the head(DSL) stay away from the TSL too i find it to be rather muddy

i'd say the dsl head is nicer than the combo...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?