So I might be comming accross some money, and I decided to plan out my potentional dream rig, should I actually get the cash. Let's follow this plan through the signal path, starting with the guitar. The budget is no more than $2000 USD, but hopefully closer to $1500.

Guitar(s)
Fender MIM Sunburst Telecaster - $350 (at a local shop)
Ibanez rg321 7-string (already owned)
Squire Trans Fat Strat HH (already owned)

Effects
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Analog Chorus pedal - $80
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb - $100
Electro Harmonix Muff Nano Overdrive - $45
Maxon TS-9 Overdrive - $150
Fender PT-10 Pedal Tuner (already owned)

Amp Head(s!)
TWO (2) Epiphone Valve Junior All-Tube Heads - $200 (for both)
A pre-wired 2x12" cabnet enclousure without speakers, shipped from ebay - $120
Two Celestion Vintage 30 speakers - $220 (for both)

Misc: more cables, straps, patch cables - $50

Total = $1615

I want to play lots of rock. Hard, soft, lead, rythm, old, new, Towenshend, Petrucci. I don't need to play ultra screamo metal grind hard core, and I don't need to play Stevie Wonder. I don't want any flanging or phasing, but if anyone has any good ideas for other chorusesssesesss or reverbs or overdrives, I'm open.

So, UG, what do you think? Different tubes for the amps? Other speakers? Alternative effects? Even possible? I want to hear from you!

Cheers, and thanks.
Wow. That's a pretty elaborate plan.

If you break it down by genres, that's a pretty versatile rig. The valve jr. (reportedly) excels at bluesy/classic rock tones, and the Maxon is an excellent choice for an OD, as long as you don't want TOO much gain.

You've obviously done some research.

Telecasters are wonderful guitars. Maybe not the most versatile, but great for what they do. Maple or rosewood fretboard?

I honestly dunno how the two heads thing will work into a 2x12... i guess maybe it'll be kinda like 2 1x12s? It would seem that there are tonal possibilities there.

The effects all look top notch, though I haven't tried any of the "nano" effects yet. Is that the fuzz you are speaking of?

Vintage 30s are classic. Can't argue with that.

Sounds great, but I'm interested in seeing what other UG-ers have to say about it. Particularly people like Jenny who have more knowledge of the VJs.

Might have to look into a compressor for things like petrucci.

Peace.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
I think the Tele is a maple fretboard...yea, it is. Beautiful thing, she is.

I'm not sure how to connect two amp heads to a 2x12" cab either. Someone help.

Yup, gotta love the muff fuzz. I bought one for a friend and tried it for a while, and almost ended up keeping the thing.
^Um, use 1?

At $2000 from scratch I would so buy a Vox AC30 CC1 as my amp. I'm happy with my mod-rodded tele and my "Indiana" fat strat (with all it's mods), so I don't think I'd worry about guitars which leaves effects. Which I would get (and route) as follows:

-True Bypass of some kind (one input goes to Y-cable into amp and the other...) -> Boss Tuner/Cut-off petal -> Digitech Whammy (already own) -> Crybaby Wah (already own) -> Ibanez Tubescreamer -> Zvex Fuzz Probe -> Zvex Machine -> Boss Compressor/Sustainer -> Amp.

I suppose I might want a dely as well... Maybe a Line 6 DL4...

I suppose I'd want an interesting set up with the whammy that'd cost me a little extra as well... hmmm... That's about $750 in petals that I don't already have + the AC30.
I'd save some money on the pedals by getting them used on eBay. I love all the E-H stuff, so I can't complain about your choices.

I'd also do more on the amp with that kind of money. Maybe the Orange Tiny Terror head with that cab.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I'll sell you a small clone for $60. PM me if interested.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
if youre thinking of two 5w VJs then maybe also look at a THD UniValve, and less of everything else, but i dont think theres really anything a univalve cant handle just about single handedly.

a univalve for cheap, 'homemade' 2x12 cab, mim tele, and a couple choice effects is something i would look into. i wouldnt feel right playing through 5 pedals that cost more than 2 amps from a budget of 1500.

also dont forget an aby switch
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
I considered getting a nice Vox amp (I'm a big Vox fan), meaning an AC30 or an AC15 with a Celection Blue, but I'd really rather have a cab and head instead of a combo, so I can use the cab with another head or the head with another cab down the road.

So I'm rather set on getting an Epi Valvee Junior, and I wanted more power out of it, which is the only reason I went for two. If there's a way to kick up the Epi's wattage to 10 or 15, somone tell me. Also, I'd like to find a way to custom-wire the cab to let me power each speaker with a seperate head through seperate inputs, and then flip a switch to let me power both speakers with one head through a single seperate input. Possibble?
Personally, I find little point in the 2 valve juniors.....especially if it's running into the same cab....you might as well just run one.

Also, with such a big budget, I would skimp a little on the pedals, and get a high end amp....not a $100 one
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I considered getting a nice Vox amp (I'm a big Vox fan), meaning an AC30 or an AC15 with a Celection Blue, but I'd really rather have a cab and head instead of a combo, so I can use the cab with another head or the head with another cab down the road.

So I'm rather set on getting an Epi Valvee Junior, and I wanted more power out of it, which is the only reason I went for two. If there's a way to kick up the Epi's wattage to 10 or 15, somone tell me. Also, I'd like to find a way to custom-wire the cab to let me power each speaker with a seperate head through seperate inputs, and then flip a switch to let me power both speakers with one head through a single seperate input. Possibble?

Eeeh...you could use an A/B/Y box to change between the heads, and then on the cab have three inputs: left, right, both. I guess you could make some sort of A/B/Y box for head to cab as well.
Also, I'd like to find a way to custom-wire the cab to let me power each speaker with a seperate head through seperate inputs, and then flip a switch to let me power both speakers with one head through a single seperate input. Possibble?

Eee...not sure. You'd have to have each head plugged it to the cab at all times though. You need a speaker load or you'll damage the head.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
you cant switch one head off with an ABy. like said u need a $200 splitter to keep a dummy load, or ull fry the head not running to the cab.

you can run two heads to a cab. yeah it'll sound good. but with all the BRAND NEW 2007 small tube amps coming out id hold off a bit. check out the new line of fenders.

maybe even try a peavy windsor tube stack.

also, when going for a 2x12, ill suggest u check out avatar speakers. because basically at those prices ur just paying for the speakers, almost like they are tossing in a free cab. gonna be as good as anything ull get off ebay for $150.

i like the tele idea, just make sure u check out pup upgrades too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Vox AC30CCH(it's a head)-$850(has tremolo and reverb-both quite nice)
Fulltone OCD-$160
Tele-$350
Big Muff-$80(I saw one for that, but not sure if it's universal)
Small Clone-$80

Total-$1728

WAY better for the money you asked, considering the versatility you wanted. AC30's are suprisingly versatile. The OCD would make it capable of most music. If you take anything out, take the Small Clone, in my opinion, chorus isn't that great. Most rock doesn't use chorus. If anyone uses it, they use it to make cleans sound better(I know that's a generalization, but it's pretty true). The AC30's cleans are magnificent, so you won't have to worry about that. If anything, trade the Small Clone for an AB(you can get a Radial AB for about $80). An AB would be much more useful to change from the normal to top boost channel. If you don't want to, just roll off the volume.
More thought has led me to screw the two Valve Junior head idea, I just want one. So can I mod it to deliever a touch more power? Just up to 10 or 15 watts is`all I'd want. Possibble?

Yea, I was thinking noisless pu's for the tele, but do they still have the "twang"?
i'm not a fan of v30's with a VJ, though a lot of the guys over at 18 watt seem to like it.

I dunno if I'd buy two VJ's if I had $1500, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?