...I am having a bit of a Stones rennesance (SP?) Due to me getting a bunch of new albums by them. I am totally loving everything by them, and there are SO many great tracks that no one even realizes (or mentions, either or) They are very diverse and I salute them for it. What do you guys think is their best work?

And....

I was sparked with a bit of interest in Mick Taylor and The Stones in general, so I decided to Torrent out a bunch of albums + my dads extensive Stones vinyl, DVD and CD collection, I have just about everything, save a few, but I noticed a few things about the guitar playing in this band. And I thought I would point out a few things about the various guitarists in the band. Keith Richards, yeah, Open G tuning, rhythmic quality, its all there, but I am more so directing toward, Brian, Mick and Ron here. Brian Jones was a brilliant multi-instrumentalist, blues purist and great guitarist, and in the beginning the Stones was "his" band, but he did not want to venture out of the blues like his band mates, and became difficult to work with, so Mick and Keith gave him the boot, OK, good decision. Exit Brian, enter Mick Taylor. We all know his story, and he made some of The Stones best albums, but after a few years of not touring and being on a bit of a hiatus, he leaves. Again, great guitarist, Stones would have been even better if he would have stayed, but it was his choice, and he went on to make a great solo album afterwords. Exit Mick, enter Ron Wood. Now here is where my rant gets a bit rebellious in a way. Why is he so underappriecated??? He: 1. Played a mean bass with the early Jeff Beck Group, 2. Was mild mannered, and did not cause trouble in the band, and 3. Was just as solid (in my opinion) as Mick Taylor, yet he still stands in his shadow. Does anybody realize he has been in the band for almost 30 years now? This guy is amazing, and probably my favorite Stones guitarist in the band. Even watching the Four Flicks DVD, he pulls off all the Mick-era stuff just as good (if not better than Mick) and he is just an all around great lead guitarist. He is versatile, and he has some of the best guitar tones I have heard, yet he still is the "Guy after Mick left" I guess my whole point here is to praise Ron Wood, but I am just basically frustrated he isn't appreciated more...
Last edited by get-born at Jan 20, 2007,
It's "renaissance", and I'll read the rest of your post and actually edit in a comment tomorrow.
OK, I did the (SP?) thing though...

Didn't think you were a Stones fan, Maet.
longass post, but kudos

wouldn't it be more coherent and less confusing if you had more parapraphs?

my fav song is TIME IS ON MY SIDE!!

taylor's classic
My Spanish Hearts
Quote by rx_eb
longass post, but kudos

wouldn't it be more coherent and less confusing if you had more parapraphs?

my fav song is TIME IS ON MY SIDE!!

taylor's classic

Well, I broke up my two main points in to two paragraphs, so I think it is OK. You guys can read.
I like the Rolling Stones just find. I just like other bands more.

I'm not a religious Stones fan, so while I may know and recognize the names and members, I don't know exactly where and when they came in and what the difference is. I just like the Stones.

And proper spelling and structure.
Quote by Maet
I like the Rolling Stones just find. I just like other bands more.

I'm not a religious Stones fan, so while I may know and recognize the names and members, I don't know exactly where and when they came in and what the difference is. I just like the Stones.

And proper spelling and structure.

But you spelled fine wrong!

Thats cool though, what albums do you like best?
Ron Wood is great, but I prefer Mick. Probably cause I absolutely love Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by get-born
Exit Mick, enter Ron Wood. Now here is where my rant gets a bit rebellious in a way. Why is he so underappriecated???

My guess? He joined after the Stones had (arguably) put out their peak albums, and Keith is the guitarist who gets all the publicity these days; so everybody assumes he plays lead and Ron plays rhythm.

-Jacques
I like Sticky Fingers the most. Beggar's Banquet is pretty decent too.
Quote by jac_murphy
My guess? He joined after the Stones had (arguably) put out their peak albums, and Keith is the guitarist who gets all the publicity these days; so everybody assumes he plays lead and Ron plays rhythm.

-Jacques

You're correct in your assumption. I never really got into them, but that's what I always thought. I want to say that I've heard more than one media outlet incorrectly report that then. But then again, they might think "lead guitarist" is more of a "lead"ing the band kind of thing then playing lead.
Ron's perfect for the stones in attitude and playing. He works well with Keith's "weaving." He's not as talented as Taylor, though. Taylor played cleaner and faster and more difficult stuff. Too bad he kind of let himself go.
For me exile got me hooked on the stones. Mick Taylor is amazing but didn't mesh with keith I think. My favorite song hmmm.....I like ventilator blues from exile, but I really like Mick Taylor's solo on sway from sticky fingers
Yes good post.

I own 18 of there albums and they are my favourite band, in saying that I think Mick was the best guitarist of the three. I see what your saying about many of there songs not being well known that are classics, most of there albums didn't have one bad song on them.

Brain damage if you like get yer ya ya's out you should get there bootleg brussels affair if you don't have it. better than get yer ya ya's out IMO.
Bishop of Zeppelinism - PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by AdayTripper
If the teletubby has a vagina, I'll stick my dick in there.
Brussel's Affair is awesome!

But yeah, there are a lot of great Stones songs that go totally unnoticed. Like, Miss Amanda Jones, Little T & A, Hang Fire (I love Tattoo You, the first half at least) Sway, Moonlight Mile, I could go on all day.
Quote by BrainDamage
Ron Wood is great, but I prefer Mick. Probably cause I absolutely love Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out

+1 Ya-Ya's is one of the best live albums ever.

Didn't they kick Brian out because he was messed up on drugs? The Stones may have branched out from the Blues but it's still their main genre and sound. Atleast that's what I think.

I think Brian, Mick and Ron were all phenominal but I really see Keith as the "keystone" of the band. He holds everything together, he creates amazing riffs and unforgettable songs. People often give me shit when I talk about how much I like The Stones and Keith's playing, and they say he isn't even that good due to the open G tuning and the missing technicality of the songs. And that's where Bri, Mick and Ron come in.

In my opinion Mick is the best out of them all simply because I like his licks. He had that protegiec, blues phrasing which gave the Stone's more fuel for their machine. Although I like Mick the most, you are right in saying that Ron has been in with them for thirty years, and frankly he's the best man for the job. He's obviously talented and awesome and he also holds the band together.
The best part about the Rolling Stones is that with Keith being the rhythm guitarist that he is, and the way he plays it almost seems as though they are loose....the truth is they are as tight a band as any of them. They are incredible live and I love how raw they sound on their stuff from the late 60's and early 70's. For me, I wish they would have stayed bluesier...thats what drew me to them when I was young. But when I listened to A bigger Bang I thought that they still put out some good stuff.