I learned basic C, D, E, F, G and A chords, but B chord is too confusing, every site where I look up the chord, it shows different how to play it, for example in fiew places it goes octave up. can anyone please tell me which is the 'right way'? Thanks!
power chord a string 2nd fret
EDIT:
---------- ---2-------
---------- --3-------- not alighned but u get the idea
--4------- OR --4-------
--4------- --4-------
--2------- -2--------
----------- -----------
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Last edited by soul_power at Jan 20, 2007,
i lay my index finger all the way across all 6 strings on the 2nd fret.. which makes it a Barre (bar) chord.

then i lay my ring finger on the 4th frets as indicated by the tabs above.. this just gives me the extra F#s on each E string and the

i play all my barre chord like that, which is different than the other 4 guitarists that i know. i think it gives me a fuller sound... which can be taken away when i please (lift index finger completely or just hold down the high e)
When I started playing chords, the easiest way to get all major and minor was to learn the bar chord.

You simply make a bar, and for minor add the second and third string two frets from the bar, and for major keep the minor but add the fourth string one fret from the bar.
Theres no right way. Anywhere on the fretboard where u can position ur fingers to play B D# and F# simultaneously is gonna be a B chord. 799877 and x24442 are probably the most common ways though.
i play it like this
e-2
b-4
g-4
d-4
a-2

i also play it as a power chord aswell. Also i play it on the e string 7th fret as a bar chord. I prefer the one in tab.
Quote by Hell to Pay
So how do you put fingers for:

?

Like an A, but with your index barring the 2nd fret and your other three fingers on the 4th fret positions. Alternatively, you can use your index for the 2nd and your ring for the 4th frets, but you probably wont be able to let the high e ring out with that fingering. It is much easier to use at first, though.
Quote by TheLastTrueJedi
lol that is how you put your fingers

e-2
b-4
g-4
d-4
a-2

2, 4, 4, 4, 2 means frets, not fingers
I just realized how dumb you are so to clear things up...

when someone writes a column of 6 numbers refering to guitar music, it is known as tablature

this 'tab' shows where you are to place your fingers on the neck of the guitar
number 1 means that you play the first fret, etc etc

like i said before, when learning guitar, it is helpful to first master two things

1) Chords. There is a major and minor shape which can be applied to each of the 12 notes.

The minor shape is (going from high E to low E)

x
x
x
x+2
x+2
x

Where x is the 'barre'. a barre or bar is your pointer finger pressed across all 6 strings.

for example, an A minor chord looks like this, going from high E to low E:

The major shape is very similar; one note difference.

x
x
x+1
x+2
x+2
x

and the A major, for example, is

Learn where the 12 notes are on the E string, and then to play that chord simply use the barre on that note

simple shit, right

The second thing to know is the major and minor patterns, so you can really start playing guitar (single notes). The pattern is the same for all major or minor keys, as the chords, just applied at their respective spots on the neck.

W= Whole Step
H= Half Step

Major pattern: W W H W W W H

Minor pattern: W H W W H W W

Learning these two things will unlock the guitar.
Last edited by TheLastTrueJedi at Jan 23, 2007,
soul power your second chord is a b minor, not a b
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
---2------------
----------------
---2-------------
---1-------------
---2--------------
--------------

not sure if it's major or minor, but it's a b chord, and not a power chord
There's no open B major (or minor... or diminished, but there is an open B7 and it's posted right above me) so you have to use barre chords.
There are many ways to play it.

If you're new, you'll probably play it like this, becuse it's the simplest way to play it:

e|7-|
B|7-|
G|8-|
D|9-|
A|9-|
E|7-|
Barre 7 with your index finger, use your middle finger for 9 on A and your pinky for 9 on D, and your ring finger on 8.

The "best" -- most common -- way to play it, is like this:

e|2|
B|4|
G|4|
D|4|
A|2|
E|-|
Or, just the top three strings is also common.
Barre two with index and use the rest of the fingers on the 4's.