Hey,

I'm looking to get a Marshall amp. I wanted to know what everyone would recommend regarding those. I don't have much money so I was thinking of nothing over $620. I'll use it for gigs and practice. I'm looking for a clean tone, blues tone, jazz, crunch, all that. I'm mainly concerned about clean and blues tones. I was checking out the MG series but I wanted to get everyones input. I also think that 50W is the minimum amount of wattage that I want.

Thanks
Get two MG full stacks man!!!!

MG ARE TEH ROX0RZ!!!!!!!!

GET THE MG MAN, FULL STACK!

You won't regret it!
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by CodySG
Get two MG full stacks man!!!!

MG ARE TEH ROX0RZ!!!!!!!!

GET THE MG MAN, FULL STACK!

You won't regret it!
I really hope you're joking. I think you might be able to get a used JCM 800 or 900 on eBay for that... I don't know much about Marshall's though to tell you the truth, wait for some other people. Just DON'T get an MG; they sound like crap and they have sucky reliability.
used jcm 800, do NOT get an MG
Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
I noticed while playing my friends MG50DFX that it was really hard to get a good clean tone from it. I'm wondering why that is.
Quote by De Amazing Blob
^Because it sucks.

Ever played one?

Probably just going to say yes no matter what...

Don't listen to these guys! SNAG TEH MGz0RZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/Do some research...and try to play some to hear for yourself.
^Yes, I have played one, and I stand behind my statement. And honestly, for $620 you can do way better than an MG.
Quote by CodySG
Ever played one?

Probably just going to say yes no matter what...

Don't listen to these guys! SNAG TEH MGz0RZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/Do some research...and try to play some to hear for yourself.

dude.. MG's r the worst ****ing amps u can buy

EDIT: my SS 10w ibanez amp would sound better then it
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Last edited by cyclobs at Jan 21, 2007,
Quote by cyclobs
dude.. MG's r the worst ****ing amps u can buy

NAW UH!!!! A DIKTIONURY IZ!!!!!!!!!

And to the little Trivium guy, sure you have...and you got it didn't you? Or did the salesman sell you a Spider?

I kid, I kid.

I'm just trying to make the kid LOOK for something since he's willing to drop so much money and is clearly "going to use it for live shows..."

And why just Marshall????
Well, not just Marshall. I was also looking at the Fender FM series. Particularly the Fender FM 210R and 212R.
All the amps you have mentioned so far have been solid state; for $600 you could definitely manage a used tube combo, which would be much better. Amps to look at:

B-52 AT series
Carvin MTS
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Marshall JCMs

They're all tube amps, and all should be in your price range used, I think the ashdown combo is only $650 new, and the B-52 60-watt is $550 (the 100w is $750 new). eBay is your friend
He said he was mainly concerned about clean and blues tone. Why list those amps?

The carvin and marshall(800) are decent, but the other two...meh for clean and blues IMO.
If you want mainly clean and blues tones your best bet in that price range would probably be a fender hotrod. Or and AC30CC1 if you can afford it, since it'll cover crunch tones better than the fender.

And 30w valve is enough to gig with.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Alright thanks, maybe tube is the way to go. I'll have to try them all out.
It souds to me like you could do with some kinda fender valve.

Blues Junior?
Might not be enough to gig with though
The Stuff!
carvin vintage series FTW!

sounds like jsut what you need.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
^ they are only good if you get them really cheap, you can get much better than a MG or AVT for that money.

Do as I did and get a 2nd hand JCM800, mine was half the price of the TSL was new and it's a better amp than the TSL and totally out classes the MG's and AVT's.
traynor ycv40 or 50 would also be worth a look, much better overdrive than the fenders, but the fender does have the (slight) edge on cleans and blues tones.

really depends what you need.

EDIT: and don't buy a marshall mg for $600. You'd see a better increase in the quality of your tone if you used the $600 to buy a gun to use it to shoot speed holes in your guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?