I usually hold the pick with the point of my index and with the point of my thumb. And the 'proper' way to hold the pick is with the flat of your thumb and the side of your index. When I do it my way, the pick always slips out, should i just do the 'proper' way (feels awkward) or is there any other suggestions, like experiment to see what is most comfortable

thanks
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin

Pm me and I'll give you a link to God's forum! It still needs mods

62% of teens smoke pot, put this in your profile if you like lesbians

i hold between thumb and middle and pointer with it pointing directly down most of the time, which is wrong i think, but the only thing wrong is for tremolo picking, its best to switch to pointer/thumb with the pick going kinda sideways like, cause if your like me and youre smacking power chords, that little bit of side-exposed pick aint enough to prevent cutting your hand open
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
Whatever is comfortable. I hold it with my index finger going somewhat vertically instead of horizontally.

James Hetfield holds it with 3 fingers. EVH uses his thumb and middle finger.

Don't listen to these guys. No offense. Proper pick hold is vital for strumming and picking technique. While it may seem ackward at first with the pick always sliding out, you will learn to get the feel of it. The point of it all is so that your arm or hand isn't at some wierd angle. There are other reasons that I can't explain well beyond that but let me put it this way; while your playing at a gig, the guitar puts alot of strain on your shoulders. That causes tension in the arms and that causes tension in the fingers. While at first your able to play through it, it begins to degrade your playing ability until your just trying to stay with the beat. I've seen this happen to people and their strumming sounds like krap compared to a regular style because, with proper pick holding, it is meant to relax the hand once you have the feel for it, whereas holding it at weird angle always puts different pressures on your joints of your fingers. Trust me, learn to strum correctly and it will make your playing and learning hell of a lot easier.

True. Also, Santana holds it with his thumb and 2 fingers.
hold the pick the proper way....
its uncomfortable for like a week then you get used to it
you can play alot faster if you hold it right
Just do whatever is comfortable like Kirby said. Just remember to keep your hand relaxed and not all tensed up, because THAT is what hinders your playing, not what position you are in.
I hold it with my thumb and middle finger. yea!
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
I've always held it with my thumb and the side of my index finger. Any other way just feels strange.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
Just do what feels comfortable to you. In guitar, there's not really a lot of "Right and wrong ways to do __________".

Unless you're trying to make sound using solely the tremolo arm, playing the guitar upside down, and using a stick as a pick.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Whatever is comfortable. I hold it with my index finger going somewhat vertically instead of horizontally.

R E G G A E
Quote by MusicalMinority
Just do what feels comfortable to you. In guitar, there's not really a lot of "Right and wrong ways to do __________".

Unless you're trying to make sound using solely the tremolo arm, playing the guitar upside down, and using a stick as a pick.

+666

If someone tells you, "This is wrong, you have to do it THIS way and that's the ONLY right way to do it", they're probably stupid or way too full of themselves - if you look at any of the better guitar players, you won't find two people doing things identically. My personal belief as to why so many people struggle to learn guitar is because they listen too much to other people and are afraid to try doing things the way that really feels comfortable to them. Not saying here that you shouldn't listen to anyone, but definitely take things with a grain of salt, and adopt any advice to what feels good to you, not adopt yourself to what others tell you what to do.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
I didn't know there was a "proper" way to hold a guitar and I just tried it it feels weird and I play much better using my thumb and index and middle finger so I say do what you want.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Steve Morse also uses a three fingered grip(or thumb and two fingers,whatever) and he's an insanely good picker. Guess theres no real 'right' way to hold a pick...
Oh **** I gotta do vibrato
I read somewhere that you should not hold the pick too tightly, so i started doing that. seems to be working.
Id say to go for whats comfortable. Its just like anchoring, if it works for you, then go for it.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I disagree with the whole "do what feels comfortable" thing. When you practice with discipline and with efficient techniques your playing grows MUCH faster than just being lazy and doing whats comfortable. I know that sounds like an insult of some kind but I'm talking about guitar playing; its not personal.

That being said, the way you hold your pick isn't as important as anchoring/not anchoring. When you quit being lazy and stop anchoring, your picking improves. Talk to ANY guitar player that doesn't anchor.

And I've just hijacked the thread. Sorry. But like I said, the way you hold your pick isn't as important as some other issues, although it is important, as is every facet (small or big) of a player's technique.
We're only strays.
Yes, do what you feel more comfortable. I have almost 4 years playing and since i started using a pick i have changed like 4 or 5 times my way to hold the pick, not because i was trying what others people do, but to adapt better my style of playing.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I disagree with the whole "do what feels comfortable" thing. When you practice with discipline and with efficient techniques your playing grows MUCH faster than just being lazy and doing whats comfortable. I know that sounds like an insult of some kind but I'm talking about guitar playing; its not personal.

That being said, the way you hold your pick isn't as important as anchoring/not anchoring. When you quit being lazy and stop anchoring, your picking improves. Talk to ANY guitar player that doesn't anchor.

And I've just hijacked the thread. Sorry. But like I said, the way you hold your pick isn't as important as some other issues, although it is important, as is every facet (small or big) of a player's technique.

Doing what is comfortable to you doesn't necessarily mean you're being lazy - there's simply more than one way of doing things on guitar, and for different people different things will work out best. I'm not saying discipline and efficient techniques are not needed for developing great ability on the guitar, it's just stupid to say that there should be some predefined rules and moves for everyone. You're not saying lefty guitars are better than righty, or the other way around - are you? And if not, how is that different from using different fingers to hold your pick, or fret a certain chord? Different people have different hands and developed their muscles in different ways, we're not robots - there's no efficient method that works for everyone perfectly.

And I'm not going to get into an anchoring debate here, I'm just going to say, John Petrucci, Michael Angelo Batio, Steve Vai.

And you're right, the way you hold your pick is important, just as anything else. This is why you need to find your own way of doing it, a way that will be perfect for YOU, not for someone else who thinks he knows better. Like I said above, look at any great guitarists you are inspired by - they all position their hands differently, because they're smart enough to understand there are no unified rules that work for everyone.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Well I didn't mean to say that whats comfortable automatically isn't right. But once again, talk to any guitarist who has stopped anchoring their picking hand. They'll tell you their picking got much better. And if they say it didn't, they more than likely didn't really stick with it. They probably tried it for a few days, and didn't take enough time to train their unanchored hand.

And John Petrucci has admitted that he would be better if he didn't anchor.
We're only strays.
uhh this is a bit diffrent but, whin i play the guitar standing up (which i doe a lot because i play a jackson flying V) then i dont know where to rest my palm, if tried resting it on the bridge and doesnt feel rite, i can rest on the strings when doing power chords n that but not solos.

HELP!!!!!
UP THE IRONS!!
Quote by joshua767
uhh this is a bit diffrent but, whin i play the guitar standing up (which i doe a lot because i play a jackson flying V) then i dont know where to rest my palm, if tried resting it on the bridge and doesnt feel rite, i can rest on the strings when doing power chords n that but not solos.

HELP!!!!!

Try to float your palm a bit. If you rest your hand on the bridge, it is called anchoring, and there was a big thread about it earlier last year.
Quote by joshua767

HELP!!!!!

I rest my fingers on the strings and never touch the bridge and i can play both lead and rhythm. I do anchor using my pinky (mostly lead), but almost with no pressure, something like Malmsteen's picking hand.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
lately I've been pickin with my thumb on one side of the pick, and index and middle on the other. Its weird how after 3 years of playing I just all of a sudden change it.
word on that ptftball24. I've had a few teachers. The one I work with now has broken down every fundamental element. The first thing he suggested after analyzing my playing is switching the way I hold the pick. It felt wierd the first day, but then it feels totally natural.
Kind of like the braces removal effect, when you get back from the orthodontist after getting your braces off finally. You look in the mirror the first day and say "Oh Shit, my teeth are f*#king huge, then you look the next day and you're like, oh they look fine, sweet dude, let's smoke some crack and have unprotected anal sex with my monkey chim chim, who gives me hand job like peeling a banana." Come on you know what I mean.