I usually hang out at the Acoustic Guitar forum, but whilst doing some research on Acoustic guitars, I stumbled upon this, and thought you guys might find it interesting, I sure did.

It shows that Gibson were the forerunners of Electric Guitars, as the man who actually invented this guitar did not Patent his idea, as it was more of a College Physics Project than anything else. And no one thought it would become as popular as it did.

Check it out:

The World's First Guitar

At the NC State Engineering Fair in 1940, first prize went to NCSU physics professor Sidney Wilson for his invention of the world's first fully electric guitar. The instrument was also the first to have single-string pick-up. Clearly the sensation of the fair, the guitar was played by physicist Mickey May.

Gibson Corporation had introduced a converted acoustic guitar - the ES-150 - in 1937 that used a single bar to pick up the signal from all strings. The instrument achieved some popularity, but was plagued by unequal loudness across the six strings.

Professor Wilson reasoned that: I) individual pick-ups could remedy the unequal loudness problem, and II) the acoustical body was not necessary for a fully electric instrument.

He developed the guitar shown in the figure and entered it in the annual engineering fair. The highlight of the fair was the playing of the guitar bay Mickey May, and the invention won the fair's first prize.

Patents from academia were quite unusual in the 1940s, so it is not unexpected that Professor Wilson did not patent his invention. Had he done so, it would have been one of the first patents granted to NC State faculty.

In 1949 Gibson incorporated both the individual string pick-up and the cut-away body in its model ES-175. The design was attributed to Ted McCarthy of Gibson Corporation, but the features were first conceived and implemented by NC State physicists.

Please note that some say In 1931 George Beauchamp and engineer Adolph Rickenbacker designed and built the world's first electric guitar, known as the "Rickenbaker Frypan" due to its shape. But I question that
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Last edited by DJaye at Jan 21, 2007,
Pretty cool. It would be funny to see someone shred on it.
Xbox 360 Gamertag - TheTacoDoctor
Just send a message saying your from UG.
CoD4 anyone?
I saw old pictures of Les Paul holding "broomstick" guitars like that in the '40s on TV.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Last edited by jthm_guitarist at Jan 21, 2007,
Quote by Defaulted
Pretty cool. It would be funny to see someone shred on it.

Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
I think it may have been the first solid body electric, but not the first electric.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~