how do you learn to recognise the sounds of different intervals effectively?
i need to get a better signature.
at school they taught us how to recognise them by comparing them to the first 2 notes of nursery rhymes.

major:
second - frere jacques
third - once in royal david's city
fourth - london's burning
fifth- twinkle twinkle little star
sixth - my bonnie lies over the ocean

i can't remember seventh and octave, but they're quite easy to recognise as 1 - 7 is one of those evil dissonant ones and 1 - 8 is the same note except an octave higher.

i'm not too hot on minor/augmented/diminished etc. sorry :S
Heres what I learnt:

Maj/m 2nd=harsh
maj/m 3rd=smooth
per 4th=bare
aug4/dim5=strange
per 5=bare
maj/m 6th=smooth(ish)
maj/m 7th=harsh
per 8ve=bare/smooth

Its a bit vague, but it helps you get the idea.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Super easy. Im in my schools choir and band (it's actually cool where I go, isn't thatweird) and our teacher will give us 3 intervals on the piano, a song they sound like, and what their actual name is (like perfect 5th = Star Wars) then she mixes them all up and asks us what they are. We all caught on really fast.
The Only member of the "I hate people with huge sigs club." Don't PM me to join.
When I started learning them, I related them to theme songs.
Minor 2nd=Jaws
Perfect 4th=Perfect Strangers
Etc...
That's somewhat of the technique they use at my college.

m2 = Jaws
M2 = listen for the next scale degree
m3 = sad
M3 = happy
P4 = Here Comes the Bride
b5 = very dissonant
P5 = Star Wars

In my high school theory class, we didn't use any silly method for learning intervals. It was an AP class, and I learned alot more there than I did in the first two years of college music theory. It's kind of frustrating.