Hey
After 3 years of playing guitar my dad said i could buy a new amp and split 50/50 with him.
I am currently split between an Orange AD30HTC Head and Orange Cabinet or Marshall Vintage Modern Head 2266 with Marshall Cabinet. (other sugguestions are welcome because these 2 are quite alot of money!!!)
I play a Fender Telecaster 60th Anniversary through a Boss ME-50.
I would get a 2x12 cabinet size because it is for practise, occasionly playing at a mates house and school performances but I am still undecided. I have tried both at my local store but still cannot decide.
I play mainly rock stuff like Red Hot Chili's but also stuff like Lostprophets, Muse etc...

I generally want some info of what the amps are like to live with cause i both know they are awesome !!!

Cheers
Do you really need a cabinet? Of courxe the sound is a lot better but if you just want to practise and play sometimes in front of a few guys it is not really worth it, it's not handy at all.
But ok, if you decided to get a cabinet with head I would get the orange or an Ibanez Thermion.
***I'm not English-speaking so sorry if there's something wrong***

Gear:

Peavey Raptor 2 (Strat cop)
Ibanez SAS-32 FMDRS
Gibson accoustic from the 50s
Aria accoustic
Peavey amp
Hughes & Kettner Matrix 100
Ibanez LowFi7
I'd say go for the Orange. An absolutely amazing amp to play through.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
I've heard amazing things about the Vintage Modern...
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
Well, out of those two, I'd pick the Orange. Far, far, far better quallity and performance. Comparing an Orange cab with a Marshall cab is like "Who took the blanket off my rig?" to me. If i was to get an ad30 head and a 2x12 and wasn't planning on a bigger cab in the future, I'd get the combo. One 2x12 combo on a box suits the indie rock image a lot better than a head and cab, IMO.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Jan 21, 2007,
Look into second hand Soldano as well. They are really really pricey but look around and you may pick up a bargain.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
Try them out, I'm guessing you don't even know what they sound like yet, hardly anyone's played the Vintage Modern yet.

And scrap the ME50 if you're getting a good amp, get some single FX.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Yeah multiFX are ok if you want loads of effects for when you start playing, but you can't beat individual stompboxes for better tone.
Dammit you found me out

Yeah i got the Boss ME-50 to try out what effects are what so yeah
But really appreciate all feedback
Where are you based?
Oh, he's tried them.

Well try them again and again and again, then you'll be able to decide. Or write a list of pros and cons, not ask a forum of people who aren't you and don't know what you're looking for.

None of the amps are "better" than one another, just different.

I've just seen your avatar and user title, and I've decided to stop being so angry haha.

I tried out an Orange AD30 a while back, nice amp, not enough gain at low volumes though, BUT the amp and guitar were new so weren't properly broken in.

If you're looking for John type sounds, he uses Marshalls so the VM may be close.

By the way, how is the vintage modern?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Last edited by R_H_C_P at Jan 21, 2007,
If you are into Orange amps, check out Matamp. They used to make the original Orange amps and are absolutely amazing. They are handmade in the UK and you can have it custom-voiced to suit your needs. You can also go and watch them make your amp if you are that way inclined.
Quote by R_H_C_P
Oh, he's tried them.

Well try them again and again and again, then you'll be able to decide. Or write a list of pros and cons, not ask a forum of people who aren't you and don't know what you're looking for.

None of the amps are "better" than one another, just different.

I've just seen your avatar and user title, and I've decided to stop being so angry haha.

I tried out an Orange AD30 a while back, nice amp, not enough gain at low volumes though, BUT the amp and guitar were new so weren't properly broken in.

If you're looking for John type sounds, he uses Marshalls so the VM may be close.

By the way, how is the vintage modern?

Awesome *cough has not tried it*

Yeah as you said i will live in my local guitar shop until i can make a decision !!!

aliwilson27 - I am based in Essex

Cheers
Quote by schwedengitarre
Do you really need a cabinet? Of courxe the sound is a lot better but if you just want to practise and play sometimes in front of a few guys it is not really worth it, it's not handy at all.

How else could you use the head? They don't have built in speakers (obviously).

Do you mean he should buy some speakers or what?