My Epi LP sounds like it's out of tune around fret 1 - 3 when chords are strummed. I'm guessing this is the action or intonation. Am i correct. What would the best way to change this?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
Last time something like that happened to me, the nut was too high.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Intonation usually only effects higher frets. Check your general tuning.
Either that or the neck might be bent
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Check your intonation first. Use a tuner to see if the 12th fret of a tuned open string sounds exactly one octave higer. If this is not the case you need to adjust your intonation at the bridge. If the intonation is good but you still have this problem I'd recommend you take your guitar to a pro because the nut might need some work.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Make sure you have fresh/not too old strings and the battery on your tuner is ok
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Make sure you have fresh/not too old strings and the battery on your tuner is ok

My strings are fine and i'm using the tuner on my amp.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
Then do you know the proper intonation method?
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
One way to fix this problem is to install an Earvana nut.

www.earvana.com

Not only are they compensated for better intonation, they're also designed to be lower profiled so tuning on the first few frets are always perfect.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Did the gutar get setup when you first got it? Coz' when I got my Epi, it gone out of tune too, but the guy at the store set it up, and it's fine now.
Quote by Eggmond
the truss rod might need resetting

No, not at all.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
It could be the truss rod, but only if the neck is bent really really really much. That also causes intonation problems.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com