where would i find transparent stains like the ones carvin uses on their FM tops? I picked up an s470 dqxm with a dent in the top that cracked the clear coat. Going to have to strip it to fix it, was thinking about changing the color.
05 ESP LTD EC-400AT
EMG 81/85
Bone nut

05 Ibanez S470 DQXM
stock for now
u madhead im sitting hear now with me s470dxqm around me neck and i love the finish on this baby my no.1 guitar!!
it is a very nice finish, but with the crack in it, its right by the pickup, which is fugly, a pick guard would cover it, but i didnt want an RG. The top got dented, which cracked the finish, the clear coat has to be removed, and i hope the dent didnt go too deap where i cant get it out. I dont think the stain is going to survie and look as good as it does.
05 ESP LTD EC-400AT
EMG 81/85
Bone nut

05 Ibanez S470 DQXM
stock for now
it's called dye.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Check out www.woodburst.com. I know their stuff isn't technically for guitars, but it worked beautifully on my bass (mahogany). They have all kinds of colors, and the stuff is easy as anything to apply.
-PLAIDOCASTER
-Ibanez Iceman Bass (Sunburst)
-Nonack Special Mk. II (Blood Red Mahogany/ Natural Binding)
-Fretless Soundgear (Color Shift Purple/Blue/Red/Orange)
-Pearl Export 5 pc. Drumset (Black)
First of all, you're setting yourself waaaaay up for a lot of work, that honestly you're most likely not prepared for. Firstly, you're going to have to strip the poly clear off of it. You're looking at a few hours of sanding right there. Then, you're going to have to completely get all of the dye out of the top, unless you want a multi colored dye job. This probaly won't be achieved by sanding, and you'll have to bleach the maple 3 or 4 times. Then you have to apply the dye, clear coat it, let it cure and buff it out.

Anyways, if you think you can do all that, all the power to you but this is not a rookie project.

You can get dyes from WD Lockwoods, I use these dyes.

www.wdlockwood.com

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
"Then, you're going to have to completely get all of the dye out of the top, unless you want a multi colored dye job. This probaly won't be achieved by sanding, and you'll have to bleach the maple 3 or 4 times. "

That was going to be my second question, what are you using for bleach? I dont think the top is thick enough to sand it out. Do you reccamned any colors to stay away from?
05 ESP LTD EC-400AT
EMG 81/85
Bone nut

05 Ibanez S470 DQXM
stock for now
i dont think so, but i'll ask anyway, is there anyway to fill the factory clear then buff it out? I can post a pic of the dent.
05 ESP LTD EC-400AT
EMG 81/85
Bone nut

05 Ibanez S470 DQXM
stock for now
Post a picture of the dent, your best bet is to just fill the spot with lacquer, let it dry for a few days and then sand it flat. Then just buff the area out, and it's good as new.

As for the bleach, if you can get your hands on liquid bleach (the pool stuff) that will get out dyes and stain. How well it works all depends.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Last edited by AlGeeEater at Jan 21, 2007,
That dent is nothing, I would just leave it.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club