Is it just me or when you put a SS amp on its back so that the speakers are facing upwards the tone suddenly changes and sounds like a pile of shit?
If this is the case if you mic up a SS amp where's the best place to put the mic? You get the best tone if you're standing above the amp so I guess right over it would be best.
That or my Cube 60 is screwed.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
I always found placing the mic in front of the speaker worked best... and I've got a Cube 60 also for recording purposes it sounds better when its quieter, but not too quiet... around 3,4.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
Does the tone get worse if you face the speaker up though?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
Is your amp open backed? In that case, it sounds 'different' because it's suddenly close backed.
the tone is probably the same, you are just hearing it differently by changing the arrangement/direction of the speaker. Try playing your amp in different rooms in your house. Try playing in the bathroom with the amp in the tub.
Quote by Gutch220
the tone is probably the same, you are just hearing it differently by changing the arrangement/direction of the speaker. Try playing your amp in different rooms in your house. Try playing in the bathroom with the amp in the tub.

Brilliant advice Gutch.

But yeah I'm thinking it's just the way the sound is reflecting off your surroundings. Not 100% sure though.
The Walking Dead
i'm guessing he means with the water off. but yeah, mess with it, just off-axis with the mic maybe 2 inches away is what i use.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
it sounds worse because that high end treble is diffused before it gets to you, but when you aim it up you aim it right at you
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Quote by Gutch220

hehe.

seriously, don't do that. you'll electrocute yourself.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
playing with your amp in the tub for recording actually sounds pretty cool if you position the mic properly, make sure theres no water in the tub though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
....I never thought about putting an amp in the tub... but I practice my violin in the bathroom.
and especially in large bathrooms, it gives a nice echo sound.

but anyway.
I think a big deal with laying your amp on its back is if its an open back.
you lay it down....you close the back.
That may have something to do with it.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
playing with your amp in the tub for recording actually sounds pretty cool if you position the mic properly, make sure theres no water in the tub though.

yes. i guess gutch, if he weren't being evil as usual, meant to play in an empty bathtub.

but make sure there's no water in there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yea, I meant with no water. the acoustics are better in a bathroom. It's really noticable with an acoustic guitar.
^ what if you get it covered in water? do you have to, like, not shower for a week beforehand?

jeez. my guitars = staying out of the bathroom, i think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't know what you mean.

Where I used to live, I had a huge bathroom upstairs with two sink, a walk-in shower, a window, etc, and it sounded really good in there.

Other times at my friends house, we would jam out in the adjacent room while keeping the mic in the bathroom and it was noticably different (not better or worse), but it sounded cool.

IMO the worst place to play is in a large unfinished basement. It kills your tone.
^ hah, ok, we have small bathrooms then. And no basements.

I was kidding too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah I read once Hendrix prefered playing in the bathroom cause of the acoustics.