As a £300 axe goes, for all styles but with a heavy emphasis on metal (Heavy metal, thrash, some metalcore and death), is a Jackson X-series Warrior a good buy?

It's going to be my second axe, my first good one, but I've been playing close on three years, and I'm pretty good. I want an axe that I can shred on, and one that has good cleans / classic rock tone, but my main criteria is that it gives an ear-crushing tone for thrash rhythms, dropped tunings, etc.

I've researched a fair bit, and overall it's seemed that:

Ibanez = nice, but a bit thin tone-wise...plus I've learned to shred on a strat copy, so I don't need an uber-thin neck.

Gibson/Epiphone = overpriced, not ideal for metal anyway

ESP/LTD = not worth looking at below £500

B C Rich = Same

Which leaves me with Schecter and Jackson. The reason I'm leaning towards Jackson is because they seem to have a more extreme edge for real heaviness, the ones I've tried (admittedly I've only tried one Schecter to compare them against) have a beautiful tone and a perfect action, and, well, they look cooler. Yes, that's an issue - I don't regard it as shallow. I want an axe first and foremost that sounds great, but also one I can show off, and that'd catch peoples eyes onstage.

So yeah, basically looking for any last-minute opinions to sway me one way or the other. BTW this is the axe - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/warrior-xt/1229

Ooh, one more question. I might be able to get a secondhand Jackson Kelly Pro series, I think a couple of years old but mint con, for the same price. Which is better?
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
you say that you play in dropped tunings, does thismean that you'd leave the guitar in one tuning, or change from standard to various droppped tunings, cos if you do, the FR wil be a real pain. also, you say that the warrior has a heavy tone, which is kinda strange considering that it is an alder body
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
i think you should look into a guitar w/ a mahogany body for the heavy rythem tones etc

the warrior has an alder body, so its brighter ... it still can get the heavt tones, but i think MAH would be more suitable for you liking

i think some MG series has MAH bodys ...

saying that Scheter (so) are MAH bodys ... they would suit well w/ rythem, but i hear all around UG that their necks tend to be a bit fat, so shreding/ fast lead work but be a bit akward.
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Last edited by TinTin8 at Jan 21, 2007,
The jackson X series are good for the money, but if you can get a Pro series for the same price, do that.

Oh, and apparently the X series King V is higher quality than the other ones.
I know about the tuning issues, but most of my changing's just standard to drop D, and though when I do go to drop C it'll be a pain, I can't afford separate ryth and lead axes, and OI really want a locking trem for lead. I'll just have to live with the annoyance of tuning.

Can you get anything decent from mahogany for £300, though? I don't know what you mean by MG series (unless you mean SS Marshalls )

Cheers Danno, what are the advantages of the Pro over the X? And why should the V be better? :S
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

Squigglymetal!
Jackson has a series of guitars between X and Pro called the MG series, they have model names like DKMG and DXMG and such. Better construction, alder bodies, EMG pickups, great intermediate guitars.

Pro series are slightly better again, tend to have Seymour Duncan pickups and Jackson trems.

Don't know why the V would be better, but Dave_Mc did a spam thread on them once and that was his conclusion.
Hm, I'll see if that second hand Pro's still around, Shame it's a Kelly shape :p (EDIT: The Kelly pro on GAK is Alder, and has similar pickup/trem specs to the Warrior X)

Looks like the MG and Pro series are out of my price range, except for maybe the Dinkys, but like I said, I want something nice looking.

Cheers for the pointers
Quote by adamrandall

Squigglymetal!
Last edited by TheUnholy at Jan 21, 2007,
Bump in search of further advice

Sorry, but £300 is a BIG outlay for me, and it's crunch time as far as decisions go.
Quote by adamrandall

Squigglymetal!