hi

im sure you've all heard about the windy wether over the past week or so. well theres been a huge tree outside my house(almost crushed it) thats been uprooted. ive been informed that it is beech, would this be good for a guitar body? as its beeing cut up and removed and i could possibly attain some of it.

in the thread on how to make a girl uncomfortable:

Quote by Angels Fighter
i saw this in another thread but it would work

Blow your load in your hand and slap the girl in the face while yelling "spiderman"

^
I heard beech is often used in drum sticks, though I don't know anything more about it.
yea you could make a shitload of drumsticks and sell them
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
yeah ive already considered that point. its just wether its suitable for a guitar body. is it too soft and such details?

edit: lost of drum sticks

Quote by Angels Fighter

Blow your load in your hand and slap the girl in the face while yelling "spiderman"

^
I haven't heard of its use as a guitar wood at all. Here's a good list of what are considered "tone woods" - Warmoth Body-woods. It can't be all that soft if drumsticks are made from it.

Basswood, btw, is very soft and yet Ibanez has made quite a living from building guitars out of the stuff.

Regards,

Rob
Why not atleast attempt it? What do you have to loose? Make the body, find a cheap neck on eBay and string it up.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
thanks rob.

ive had a look its mostly likely beech from what ive been told by a next door neighbour. theres tons of the stuff. infact the guys who are taking it away reckon the thing weighed nine tons. anyone had experience with beech or any further info? its not on the warmoth website but from what ive read in the internet its a hard close grained wood....

edit: to algee- sounds like a plan.

Quote by Angels Fighter

^
Beech seems to be a fairly good tonewood to me. I googled "Beech Tonewood", and a bunch of lumber dealers are selling it as a tonewood.

I also saw a guitar with a spalted Beech top when I googled it. So, I'd say go for it. You've got 9 tons of it, why not experiment?
thnx alot to everyone

Quote by Angels Fighter

^
if you have some extra, ship it my way.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
European Beech

^ I looked up a Wikipedia article on Beech. Appears that it is used a lot in furniture making. Sounds like it would also be a good tone wood, or if not, it would be cool to experiment with it.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Member #9 of the Samnung Has Crabs Club , PM Powerhouse to join

Custom Build
Quote by AlGeeEater
Why not atleast attempt it? What do you have to loose? Make the body, find a cheap neck on eBay and string it up. Chris

+1. I agree it's worth a try.

Regards,

Rob
How wide is the tree? After milling you may end up with alot less useable timber than you thought.
enough for a body blank. maybe two if i can get
im gonna have to get it kiln dried and such but it should be fine. its harder than bass wood

Quote by Angels Fighter

^