Hi guys, I recently just bought an Epiphone Les Paul 100. I am pleased with the sound. but am looking to improve on it. I am thinking of putting in some new pickups. I am unsure of which ones to get. I am looking for a classic kind of tone. I mostly play rock, a bit of metal, and some blues. Right now I am thinking of the Gibson 490T or 490R. Could you guys please suggest mostly Gibson products, becuase I am leaning towards them right now. I heard dimarzio is good to. Also, I was wondering what is the difference between the 490R and 490T? Also, are they sold seperately, or do they come in packs of 2.(neck and bridge) They are about $120 Canadian. If that is each, bye bye money.
Last edited by thedude051 at Jan 21, 2007,
Depends on your amp really, although I wouldn't personally buy Gibson pickups as replacements - they seem fairly expensive compared to other companies (that price you have is per pickup). Duncans are a lot cheaper...Pearly Gates combo has a nice, hotter than vintage sound - good if you want a bit more power without losing youre classic Les Paul sound, or a Custom/59 combo if you want the bridge to hit harder for when you do play metal but still want classic tines from the neck. Like i said though, depends on the amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Depends on your amp really, although I wouldn't personally buy Gibson pickups as replacements - they seem fairly expensive compared to other companies (that price you have is per pickup). Duncans are a lot cheaper...Pearly Gates combo has a nice, hotter than vintage sound - good if you want a bit more power without losing youre classic Les Paul sound, or a Custom/59 combo if you want the bridge to hit harder for when you do play metal but still want classic tines from the neck. Like i said though, depends on the amp.

Thanks for the help. I will look into the other one. But I am still wondering, what is the difference between the 490T and 490R? Thanks,
490T is the bridge pickup, 490R is the neck pickup, that's all.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
490T is the bridge pickup, 490R is the neck pickup, that's all.

oh, ok. Thanks.
The T stands for Treble the R stands for Rythm
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!