Flying V
15 26%
Explorer
30 52%
Les Paul
13 22%
Voters: 58.
Page 1 of 2
Ok so im thinking about building my own guitar sometime this summer, but im hesitating between three body styles, Flying V, Explorer and Les paul.

Well the V, i like its look alot, but would the way the neck dosnt have much wood around it affect sustain in a bad way? I would do a Jackson RR kind of flying V.

The Les Paul, i like the V's look much better but this is cool too, and i think neck sustain would be much better. But it would be alot harder to build i think, since i dont want a flat top LP. No LP without carved top for me.

The explorer, it would be a pretty good "inbetween" since i think it has more wood around the neck (not sure), and also it would be better then the V for sitting down.

Im lying towards the V, since i like its look better, it would be easier to do and all, but im just unsure about the neck sustain.

so long thread for so few

BTW i play alot of metal, a tad bit of classic rock and hard rock.
I hate the way V's look, they always seem cheap, and like the person is just trying to be "metal"

I'd do a les paul myself, it will be more work, but you can say you did it, and the sustain should be much better.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
explorer all the way, and it doesnt have to be a straight forward one either, I mean look at what jared leto did to his explorer, so you can mess around with it a bit more unlike the others, but it still kicks so much ass!
Founder of the Trombone>Sax>all club, pm me my fellow 'boners!!

we hit harder than anyone else. Ug's lacrosse club, pm me or hrdcorelaxplaya to join!
I don't doubt you could. But I was just saying, a Les Paul build looks like serious pain in the ass. Probably more trouble than it's worth.

But, do what appeals to you most.
V or Explorer. don't build the most popular guitar in the world! that would be totally commercial. i personally like explorers, check out this thread:

Mike's Explorer Build

i didn't build it, but it is a sexy explorer, and one reason to build one.

EDIT: a mahogany V should get good sustain. maybe a little less, since it lacks upper bouts, but the tailpiece should preserve sustain, and the mahogany should help. if you're still worried, make a maple neck or a neck-through, though neck-thru would be loads of work.

edit2: build a gibson V, that will sustain better than an RR V. or build an explorer.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Last edited by woodenbandman at Jan 21, 2007,
Quote by Pacifica112J
I don't doubt you could. But I was just saying, a Les Paul build looks like serious pain in the ass. Probably more trouble than it's worth.

But, do what appeals to you most.

i wasnt talking to you specifically, i agree with you that it would be a pain in the ass

and to the guy up there ^, if i would build i LP (wich i will do sometime but not this build) i would mod the body shape.

So yea its either V or explorer, i'll list the stats i'd like to put

Mahog body
Maple Neck
Ebony Fretboard
24 frets
EMG's prolly (not sure wich) or maybe SD's, in a H/H combination
Floyd rose, but not sure, they look like a pain in the ass and they're pricey
1 volume, 1 tone, 1 three way switch
Some ordinary tuners, prolly grovers, im too poor for locking stuff
If i get a FR, well i'll get a FR locking nut

thats what im thinking about

holy crap i never typed so much in 15 mins
Last edited by flyingsquirrel at Jan 21, 2007,
Do the V, but the gibson-style flying V. Paint it white, and get gold hardware. yummz
I hate with the V that you really cant play with it sitting down. Every1 already has a les paul, so I have to go with the explorer. Its cool lookin, and it functions well. It also gives you alotta room to paint stuff on it. Overall, do the Explorer, they're easy to make.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
specify whut classical position is to those who do not no
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
^ yeah i knew that, but i tought it could get uncomfortable, but whatever, i play standing alot too.

so what i'd like to know is: do the explorer has more sustain then the V? or is it the same (or similar), cuz i saw a couple explorers and they have just the neck joint standing out alone (if you get what i mean), like a v.
Do a Gibson style V. Failing that, a Gibson style Xplorer.

And do them in Korina, not Mahogany.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Dude I want a V too do and an RR at that build the V!! Build the V that way you can get a V just how you like because I haven't found a V I totally like and this could be your chance!!
^ yea thats the idea i like the most

and unfortunately for all the gibson style V lovers, i dont like them

and what are korina tonal properties compared to mahogany?

price diferences too...
explorer without a doubt, how much does it cost to built a guitar, im thinking of doing one myself.
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
i've been told in another thread that with 700$ US you can do a pretty good guitar

ill try and get a summer job so maybe i'll have 2 builds.

So i think what i'll do is

1st build: Flying V RR style

2nd build (only if i get a job and enough money): Explorer my own style.

but i cant garantee that 2nd build since im just 14, and its hard to get a job at 14.
Quote by MrCarrot
Do a Gibson style V. Failing that, a Gibson style Xplorer.

And do them in Korina, not Mahogany.

Mmmmm... I forgot about Korina.

Yeah, do Korina!!
explorer is the way to go. easier builld than a Les Paul, better more comfortable and more sustain than a V.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Threadstarter - get a paper round. I get £20 pocket money per month, and £10 a week paper round money. That = £60 a month. It satisfies my needs. And with my birthday approaching soon, and me saving all money from now till then (Haha - £20 paper money saved by my birthday lol") I'll have about £90.

So just think dude, save up money + money from special celebrations = the shizzle.
Quote by SG thrasher
What a dumb thing to say.

alright, let me put it this way.

IMO, les pauls are better than Vs in every way, they have better pickups (however, that's not necessarily true if he's building his own), more sustain, and are more comfortable.

It seems like the only reason you would buy a V would be for the looks.

Yes, I have played many V's and Les Pauls, I am the proud owner of a real opinion.

However, if there is some big secret that makes flying Vs amazing, feel free to share.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Last edited by hamish5178 at Jan 21, 2007,
Quote by flyingsquirrel
^ yea thats the idea i like the most

and unfortunately for all the gibson style V lovers, i dont like them

and what are korina tonal properties compared to mahogany?

price diferences too...

From Warmoth.com:

Korina, White (Terminalia superba):
Its true name is Limba from Africa. White Korina is a medium to heavy weight wood Korina has a naturally waxy feel to it. The tone is very similar to Mahogany with added mids. An excellent tonal choice for hollow chambered bodies. With a Vintage Tint Gloss on it, it resembles the famous Korina Flying Vs of the late 50s.

Mahogany (Khaya ivorensis):
We use African Mahogany in our body production. It is a medium to heavy weight wood with a Strat® body averaging 5 lbs. or more. Mahogany is a fine grained wood with great musical properties. The tone is warm and full with good sustain. The favorite tone wood of the Gibson® brand name; associated with some of the most famous rock music of our time. The grain is easy to fill. Looks good with clear or transparent red finish.
Quote by flyingsquirrel
Ok so im thinking about building my own guitar sometime this summer, but im hesitating between three body styles, Flying V, Explorer and Les paul.

Well the V, i like its look alot, but would the way the neck dosnt have much wood around it affect sustain in a bad way? I would do a Jackson RR kind of flying V.

The Les Paul, i like the V's look much better but this is cool too, and i think neck sustain would be much better. But it would be alot harder to build i think, since i dont want a flat top LP. No LP without carved top for me.

The explorer, it would be a pretty good "inbetween" since i think it has more wood around the neck (not sure), and also it would be better then the V for sitting down.

Im lying towards the V, since i like its look better, it would be easier to do and all, but im just unsure about the neck sustain.

so long thread for so few

BTW i play alot of metal, a tad bit of classic rock and hard rock.

Dude i go for the V or Ex dont come near the LP i dunno thats my opinion..
if you're gonna do a metal-type V, do a neck-through; you almost have to. and that'll solve your sustain problems.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by hamish5178

However, if there is some big secret that makes flying Vs amazing, feel free to share.

Well, personally, i love the feel, i love the way it balances, i love how light it is and the awesome tone it has, when i use the neck pickup and roll the tone off it sounds like an Lp, seriously, mine has buckets of sustain too.

/Fanboy.
Quote by tubab0y
if you're gonna do a metal-type V, do a neck-through; you almost have to. and that'll solve your sustain problems.

kk, just to make sure, neck through's are like a huge neck with two halfs of the body pasted on each side?

edit: nvm i found it

but where can i find a neck blank long enough for a neck-thru??

also neck thrus seem WAYYYYY WAYYYYY WAYYYYY WAYYYYY WAYYYYY way easier then a set neck, i think.
neck throughs are easier, and you could just buy the neck, completely done. if you want to do that, use carvin- 24 frets, ebony fretboard, maple neck, just over $200.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
i want to do it all myself

if i would want to save work, i'd just buy a guitar at the store.

also i wanna be a luthier later so the more experience i can get, the better it is

and if i buy one, there will be no challenge except routing the body and painting. Ill be like prouder if i do the neck myself.

oh, and i think alder is a good wood too, wich would be the best between korina and alder?
^ thanks alot, but assuming this is in the US, and im in canada, would it cost alot to make it pass the line?

and to adamdk: what the hell is a paper round (sorry im french so maybe its stupid)

and i only get 5$ a week in pocket money =(
Buid a traditional flying V.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
its alot of work start with something easier maybe just a strat, also you have to have access to alot of tools to do this. make sure you plan everything before you build.
Quote by carousel182
its alot of work start with something easier maybe just a strat, also you have to have access to alot of tools to do this. make sure you plan everything before you build.

not true.

and i'm thinking shipping wouldn't be too much more, and the actual price wouldn't rise.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
^ cool, thank you

and to carousel, i dont think a strat would in any way be easier than a V. Also i'll have all the tools needed this summer since my grandfather's moving right beside me. He's very good at woodworking too so im sure he'll help me.

So this is what im gonna do (im pretty sure):

Body: Alder or Korina Flying V (ill just do my own V shape i guess)
Neck: Maple Neck Thru
Fingerboard: Ebony
24 frets
Floyd Rose (either an OFR or a schaller, im not going cheap)
EMG 81/85 set or maybe 81/60
3 way switch
1 volume 1 tone
Locking FR nut
not sure on tuners yet, but they'll be normal one
Custom headstock design
Ill try doing inlays that are like jackson's
All the control cavities and the pickups battery cavity will be back routed, cuz there wont be any pickguard.

For the paint, i'll do some design in white and/or grey on a black background.

So im pretty sure what you'll see this summer is gonna look like that
Page 1 of 2