Page 1 of 2
Hello. I have the worst fears of all. Fear of guitar string snapping while tuning it. I just restrung my guitar and i am afraid that the strings will give way when i try to tune it up. When i tune i feel that the strings are very stressed and am afraid of it snapping and hitting my face/eyes, especailly the thicker strings which will do more damage to my face.
The first time I did that with mine, it was like I could feel the tightness myself, and I was wincing, but it really is no problem, and strings NEVER snap off and fly in peoples faces, the thing to remember is when you are tuning up, don't just go for the note immediately, you need to SLOWLY tune it up, a little bit at a time, give it a few seconds after each few twists of the machinehead.
the only time strings will snap while tuning is if they are veryyyyyy old and you do it to fast.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Well. If you're tuning the first string to E, don't tune it an octave above that
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
chill out. just make sure you strech out your guitar string alot b4 u start tunning it. i've had strings snap on me while playing b4. it snapped on my hand 2 times. it really wasnt that bad. I don't think it would ever snap on your face unless ur smelling ur soundhole.
ch.ILL
ah it happened 2 times to me. the high e broke cos i tuned it higher than e. accidentally of course. luckily they were temporary $1 strings. Not the d'addario ones.
i snapped 4 strings consecutively yesterday, they snap away from the break, which means towards the body of the guitar, not up towards your face
there's about 100lbs of pressure on your strings, they are made of steel, they can take it just don't worry.
Dreaming of freedom is easy to do
You have to fight and win but never lose.
Just make sure your strings are corectly attached to the bridge, otherwise they might just spring loose over there. I don't wanna make your fear any worse but this could happen. But don't worry to much if they are properly attached at the bridge and you don't overtune nothing can go wrong. And if you're really paranoia just wear saftety goggles
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Let's consider the direction of the tensile force on the strings... Also, consider the geographical location of your face in relation to the strings...
Nothing to worry about
Quote by lespaulcaster
Hello. I have the worst fears of all. Fear of guitar string snapping while tuning it. I just restrung my guitar and i am afraid that the strings will give way when i try to tune it up. When i tune i feel that the strings are very stressed and am afraid of it snapping and hitting my face/eyes, especailly the thicker strings which will do more damage to my face.

The scientific/medical name for this condition is : Stringbreakaphobia and it's common amoung beginner guitarists. While generally not a health threat, if not treated properly, it CAN become a dibilitating illness resulting in the need of medical attenion or even death.
One promising guitar prodigy named Steve Libowinsky became so overcome w/Stringbreakphobia that he refused to play guitar without wearing Carhart coveralls, leather gloves and a welders hood. While accepted a novelty act, he became overheated during a concert in Seattle in 1993 and died of heatstroke backstage.
Treatment of this condition generally includes having someone else perform string changes, or sexual constuctive surgery to add a pair of balls to your body.
1/2 my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.
Last edited by EL Conquestidor at Jan 21, 2007,
Save your old unwounded strings for a few therapy sessions where you actually do wind up your old strings until they break.
Also, even though it isnt neccessarcy, hold your hand over the strings when tuning up. Hows it going to slice your eyes open like that?
I'm back, you douchebags.
Quote by long gone
I don't think it would ever snap on your face unless ur smelling ur soundhole.

Or pick the strings with your teeth
i've had a high e string snap on my arm and leave a good mark before because i was tuning too fast. so just be sure to do it slowly, or get someone else to do it for you or do it under adult supervision
I have had a string strike me in the face but i was right up next to the strings so as long as your face is away from the strings you will be fine.
Quote by Panasonic3
the only time strings will snap while tuning is if they are veryyyyyy old and you do it to fast.

Or if they are Martin Strings.
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Quote by fsb_ben
WEAR SUNGLASSES. [/thread]

But wait...Sunglasses aren't ANSI rated!
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
Relax man. Strings don't go shooting upwards and gouge themselves into your eyes. They say TWANG and stick out at an odd angle to your guitar. It's REALLY no big deal. So, take a deep breath, get your pick, and tune.

~Zelly
Originally Posted by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.
I used to play violin. Fear of a guitar string is child's play compared to the possibilities with violins.
Wear safety goggles
Guitars gear
Fender Nashville Telecaster
Vox AD30 Valvetronix
Zoom 707 multi effects
i feel ya, not scared it will hit me , but it always suprises me and i jump. always the high e string, however to avoid this , i tighted it to a whole step down, loosen it , then tighten it back then loosen it, then go a half stepdown, do the same thing then finally tune to standard. havent broken one yet.
I know they sound intimidating, but really, they will only break if you have them WAY off tune. And if one breaks, they break laterally, and don't flick as a rubber band would.

Its a mind over matter type deal.

~ DJ
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
dont be a pussy dude, the chances of it hitting you in the face are slim to none and even if they do its not going to hurt. be less like raffi and more like zach wylde.
Originally posted by IlikeTheSKA
If "Skinhead" Rob is a skinhead, then Nikes are Doc Martins.
Quote by fsb_ben
when they snap, they will NOT go in the direction of ur face (no matter what mom tells you LOL)

"Mom, I want a pale yellow 1969 Fender Mustang with a huge amp!!!"
"But Ralphie, the string will poke your eye out!"
there's a guy who works with me who told once that a friend of his was tuning his bass and one of the strings snapped back and went all the way through his hand and blood went all into the bass and messed up the electronics. That man is a complete moron, and we all had a few laughs, but i still hope this little story keeps you awake tonight.
this is the stupidest thing ive ever seen, its been going on that long that if he aint tuned it by now hel have forgotten how to play. lol
chill out buddy tune it in and crank up the feeling, whos with me ??!!
I've had a string hit me in the face, whilst restringing and tunning... didnt matter much, ive had my hand bleed from a string break. but nothing bad

you should be carefull for people tunning around you however... i was tuning next to my friend Clare, and the string snapped and got her right in the eyeball,

her eye was very red you could tell it hurt alot,
Obviously you must confront your fear..........so go snap a string into your eye....it's the only solution...
Quote by Hellish_Wolf
I can see it now, in a year we will have kids walking up to girls "Hey baby, my career score on guitar hero is over 3 mill, ooooooh yeeah"

IS THAT SYRUP IN YOUR PANTS OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE ME??!!
Just string the guitar up and as you're tuning up, hold the guitar at an angle away from your face.

If I'm ever restringing an entire guitar, I always rest the headstock in my lap and string it like that. Not because of an irrational fear, just like to see what I'm doing. But hell, it might help you out.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
If anything, it should happen when you play the string AFTER you tune it....which would cause you to then fear playing guitar....you know what? forget i even said anything.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Dont listen to these guys, guitar strings are extremely dangerous and it is VERY possible that, in the highly probable event of a string breaking, the string will DECAPITATE you. I dont know about you, but I like my head and would not be pleased at all if it was sliced off by a guitar string.
i used to get that but i just faced the guitar away from me and slowly tuned it up but now im over it and just go for it however, when they snap it still comes as a shock becuase i kinda tune out and just listen to the sound but its never hit my body
Page 1 of 2