Once a year I play a band gig in a remote city. I fly there and bring my own guitar and effects and rent an amp. I usually play in hotel ballrooms. Usually I rent a Fender Twin Reverb (85watt tube 2x12 combo amp).

This year, I'm playing a two-day house party instead of the usual ballroom setup. I think the Twin Reverb would be a bit overpowered, so I'm looking to rent something smaller (30-50 watt combo). One night will be an acoustic set, the next night a rock set. I'm the rhythm guitarist.

I like a simple amp that has a real good clean tone. I don't have a lot of time to experiment with the amp ahead of time, so I like to use my multi-effects pedal to get the distortion, chorus /etc.

Here is a list of amps from the rental place I'm looking at. I already pulled out the Fender Twin Reverb, JC-120, Marshall Stack. Any suggestions on an amp that might fit my needs?

VOX AC30 (212) -- expensive
Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb
Fender 65' Super Reverb
Peavey Classic 30 (12")
Fender Blues Jr.
Peavey Stereo Chorus (212)
Peavey Nashville 400 (15")
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Hot Rod Dev
Peavey Classic 50
Marshall JCM900 50 watt
Fender The Twin (212)
Peavey Ecoustic (12")
SWR California Blonde -- acoustic amp?
SWR Strawberry Blonde -- acoustic amp?
Fender Acoustasonic JR. -- acoustic amp?

Also, does anyone have experience renting in Portland, OR? Any suggestions on what rental place to use?
Guitars: Carvin TL-60T, Carvin C750 Acoustic, Squier Strat w/Carvin C22B & AP11's, Alvarez-Yairi DY76 12-string, Eastman MD-605 Mandolin, Fender Mandocaster, Ibanez UKS-10 Ukulele
peavey classics have sweet cleans, i have the 50 tho it might be slightly too big for what u want, perhaps get the 30? the dist channels not much use without an OD but that wont be a problem if ure using full pedal distortion, its a real blues amp. They're very much a mid driven amp tho, so if ure into trebely fenders i dont think ull dig the tone.
If your looking for good cleans, the AC-30 would be one of the best. i tested it compared to a Peavey Classic 50 and the AC-30 made the Peavey sound rubbish, also, the cleans on the JCM900 wouldn't be great
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Bossman123
If your looking for good cleans, the AC-30 would be one of the best. i tested it compared to a Peavey Classic 50 and the AC-30 made the Peavey sound rubbish, also, the cleans on the JCM900 wouldn't be great

lol i hated ac30 but there ya go :P
Quote by Atreideslegend
lol i hated ac30 but there ya go :P

I guess that just goes to show how important it is to test an amp yourself instead of going by what other people say
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Why ditch the JC-120? It's a SS amp that's reputed as one of the best clean amps ever. If you're looking for a good clean at any volume, that should be your go to.

I think the main thing people have against the JC-120 is tha fact that it's ss
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
The reason I crossed the JC-120 off the list is that it's 120 watts. (Well, 2x60 but you get the idea.) That's a bit loud for a house party.

The AC-30 is pricey ($75 a day compared to $50 for most of the others).

I'll be using a Carvin TL-60 which is a pretty treble-y guitar and I like a lot of low-end if that helps clarify what I'm looking for.

I guess maybe I should take my list to the local guitar store and try them out. They should have at least some of them. Still, if anybody plays these amps, I'd love to get your opinion of them.

Oh yeah, two channels with a footswitch would be nice. The old Fender Twin Reverbs I usually play don't have that.
Guitars: Carvin TL-60T, Carvin C750 Acoustic, Squier Strat w/Carvin C22B & AP11's, Alvarez-Yairi DY76 12-string, Eastman MD-605 Mandolin, Fender Mandocaster, Ibanez UKS-10 Ukulele
Go for the biggest mofo available, in the end you'll just plug the cd player into it and crank the ****er sideways.

Get a tranny, less chance of you blowing yourself a new one.

One love

x