I've been writing an acoustic finger picked song (lyrics in my sig) which i think is in the key of G i was wondering how to build the chords that i have used so far i have got.

G

G A B C D E F#

and the chords i have used use the notes
Chord
1 E G E G = E minus the 5?
2 C G E B = C7?
3 D G E A = Dsus2/Dsus4?
4 C G E G = C
5 E G B B = E
6 D G B B = (1,4,5,6)?
7 C G B G = C7 minus the 5?
Thanks for any help have i used the right method for doing them in counting the intervals of the notes from the G major scale?
use any of the following chords:

G major
A minor
B minor
C major
D major
E Minor
F#diminished

Thats coz all these chords are in the key of G. which u cud out by the link given by Nautaflcl!!!
Cheers!
Enjoy ure song
1 E G E G is E minor.
2 C G E B is C maj 7
3 D G E A is Dadd9sus4.
4 C G E G is C
5 E G B B is Emin
6 D G B B is a Gmaj 2nd inversion
7 C G B G is a Gmajadd11 inversion
Quote by Vague Ideal

G

G A B C D E F#

Corrections in chord names

Chord
1 E G E G = Em (no 5th)
2 C G E B = Cadd9
3 D G E A = D11
4 C G E G = C
5 E G B B = Em
6 D G B B = D13
7 C G B G = CMaj7(no5th)

my try
Quote by brentonlatour
my try

Chord
1 E G E G = Em (no 5th)
2 C G E B = Cadd9
3 D G E A = D11
4 C G E G = C
5 E G B B = Em
6 D G B B = D13
7 C G B G = CMaj7(no5th)

Incorrect on a few of them there. For 2 to be a Cadd9 it would have to have a 9th in it. Which that doesn't, the 2nd on a C is a D, which is not in that chord.
And as for the D11 and D13, you should read up on extended chords. For a chord to be a D11, it would need to a) be dominant (otherwise you'd have to state maj or min), and b) have all the intervals up to 11. It would have to have at least 1, 3, 7, 9 and 11.
Same goes with the D13, you'd need all the intervals up to the 13, which that chord doesn't have.
Just helping you out there buddy
Thanks guys. Tom Martin how did you know that the 6 and 7th chords were Gmaj2nd inv and Gmajadd11inv because i couldnt see how to get to that, again thanks.
Quote by Vague Ideal
Thanks guys. Tom Martin how did you know that the 6 and 7th chords were Gmaj2nd inv and Gmajadd11inv because i couldnt see how to get to that, again thanks.

Well there are different ways of looking at it. If you know for a fact its not an inversion then you could look at D G B B as 1, 4 and 6. Which is a very strange chord, having no major or minor tonality, and no basic notes (most chords will have a 3rd, 5th or 7th in them somewhere) which makes me feel like this is an inversion. Seeing as these are the notes of a G chord, it's easy to assume that this is just a simple G inversion.
As for the C G B G, the intervals of that would be 1, 5 and 7. Which in fairness makes a reasonable Cmaj7 chord. However, the lack of the third in the chord makes me want to look at it as an inversion, and make it so that it has a third in it. You don't need to do that, you could easily just play this as a Cmaj7, but if you try putting the third in it sounds completely different. If you change it so that it is a Gmajadd11 you get a much more full sound.. complete with a major tonality.

Hope that helps
Quote by Tom Martin
.. have all the intervals up to 11. It would have to have at least 1, 3, 7, 9 and 11.
Same goes with the D13, you'd need all the intervals up to the 13, which that chord doesn't have.

All the tones after the seventh up to the extension can be left out. D - F# - C - G is acceptable for D11, as is D - F# - A - C - G and F# - C - G and so forth.
Quote by Johnljones7443
All the tones after the seventh up to the extension can be left out. D - F# - C - G is acceptable for D11, as is D - F# - A - C - G and F# - C - G and so forth.

Ideally you want to get all the chord tones up to the final extension. True, you don't need to have all of them when you play it (especially on guitar where what you can play is limited), but a true 11th or 13th has all of the chord tones leading up to the extension.
^meh, it can sound cloudy with all seven tones in there. honestly, it's a matter of simplicity and ease of making them on the guitar. if all the sheet music says to play is a G7, i'm gonna play the easiest voicing i can find.
Looking for my India/Django.