I have a Fender Fat Stratocaster and I want to get the kill switch thing that Tom Morello has. Instead of buying a new guitar, how can I get another volume knob for one of my pickups so I can do that kill switch thing that he does during solos..

(Guerrilla Radio solo)
You know he has a Strat, right? I think on his Soul Power guitar he just has a switch that turns the whole guitar on and off.

On the other hand, if you want a new volume pot just try your local guitar shop and grab a 250K volume pot. You'll want a wiring schem so that you can hook it up right and everything though.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
It'll probably be a 5, with it being a Strat. Anyway, good luck dude. It shouldn't be too hard, if you've had experience with this stuff.
Quote by Lcollins1
Hmmm the easiest way would probably be to buy a "concentric pot" which is basically two pots stacked on top of eachother.

PICTURE - http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006ZRN7C.01-A1YL6JT47QH4O4._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Is it a 3 or 5 pos switch? If you let me know, I'll get you a wiring diagram

Lewis

Actually, do what he says, he's cleverer than me.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
you could bring your guitar into a shop and have them modify one of the tone knobs, but doing the killswitch effect with the strat's five way pick up selector would be kind of annoying. i had an actual killswitch put on my tele, it doesnt cost that much.
Quote by Lcollins1
Hmmm the easiest way would probably be to buy a "concentric pot" which is basically two pots stacked on top of eachother.

PICTURE - http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006ZRN7C.01-A1YL6JT47QH4O4._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Is it a 3 or 5 pos switch? If you let me know, I'll get you a wiring diagram

Lewis

You mean like the selector thing? It's a 5-way selector. It switches from the neck pickups to the bridge pickups and in-between.
Quote by rage6945
you could bring your guitar into a shop and have them modify one of the tone knobs, but doing the killswitch effect with the strat's five way pick up selector would be kind of annoying. i had an actual killswitch put on my tele, it doesnt cost that much.

The problem with that is, he'd have to either rout space, or try and find space for it,

Plus, having individual volumes is useful, if you use the gain channel on some amps and turn the volume on one of the pickups down, you have a channel switch on your guitar, as one pickup will be clean, and the other distorted

As for the wiring, i'll have to get back to you, i need to draw up a diagram!

Lewis
Last edited by Lcollins1 at Jan 21, 2007,
Right, I have to head off now, if you want to do it the way i suggested, PM me, and i'll draw up a diagram....

Lewis
Quote by Lcollins1
The problem with that is, he'd have to either rout space, or try and find space for it,

Plus, having individual volumes is useful, if you use the gain channel on some amps and turn the volume on one of the pickups down, you have a channel switch on your guitar, as one pickup will be clean, and the other distorted

As for the wiring, i'll have to get back to you, i need to draw up a diagram!

Lewis

well with the strat it would be easy to put one in without routing it, but he wants to do tom morello stuff and thats much harder to do with a five way switch, especially where it's located. i had mine routed and it only costed 70 bucks
You make a good point rage6945.......

I hadn't thought of the logistics of a 5 way switch, just get a killswitch guitarkid2113, it'll work out much easier!

Lewis
why would you want another volume pot, the strat has a master volume, having to would be redundant. a killswitch is not that hard to make. just put a spst switch in front of the output so that it is wired like this:

pups     nothing (or ground)
.....\...../
......\.../
.......\_/_____output

on the left the guitar is on, on the right the killswitch is engaged (no pun intended)
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
There's tone of topics on how to make a killswitch, now.
Here's how ya should go about doing it...
I believe this is the more popular way to do it:

Get a SPDT switch, or a DPDT switch.
Follow the diagram.
Either drill a new hole for the switch, or use the space of an existing tone knob. I recommend just making a new hole. It's easy to do, and then you can put it whereever you want on the pickguard. Provided its still in the cavity...But you can even cut out some wood on the body if you wantred to move it...but yeah.
If you do it the way the diagram shows you could use an SPST.
MG Free At Last
I see my diagram is being put to good use.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Here's an idea; why not just put the switch in the circuit before the output. Just disconnect the wire to the output jack. Buy a good looking switch that seems functional at radioshack. Attach the wire previously connected to the output jack to the flip switch, and put a wire from the switch to the output. The only hard part here would be you would have to drill a hole in your pickguard/ wood depending on the layout of the guitar for the kill switch, so pick a spot you like, clamp a peice of wood on top (for wood so you don't hurt the finish) and drill it. Now reassemble and you should have a fully functional killswitch as flipping it will be breaking the circuit and you still have all your previous circuitry intact including your stock switch.
You guys are putting way too much thought into it. Why not get a push pull and replace one of the pots with it?

I would go with a push pull or just a plain switch.
The method displayed in my diagram only needs two wires, cutting a wire, sending it nowhere.

My method sends the hot output to the ground, meaning there is no hot output going to the output jack, only two grounds.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Why not just remove one of the pickups from the switch?
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
What I did with my killswitch was just get a normally closed momentary pushbutton switch from radioshack and wire it in just before the output jack, converted to 1 master tone and used the hole that freed up for the button. Much easier that way because you don't have to hit it again for the signal to go back through. I just didn't get a very sturdy switch so it broke and I had to get a better one.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX
He actually has no tone knobs and two volume knobs. One volume knob for each pickup. the switch just switches between the two pickups. He turns the volume down on one, giving it the effect of "not being turned on" and switches back and forth between the pickup set to 10 and the pickup set to 0. John - 5 does the same thing with his telecasters
^^That's what he's got going on on 'Arm the Homeless', not on Soul Power.

Quote by bi$anz
Here's an idea; why not just put the switch in the circuit before the output. Just disconnect the wire to the output jack. Buy a good looking switch that seems functional at radioshack. Attach the wire previously connected to the output jack to the flip switch, and put a wire from the switch to the output. The only hard part here would be you would have to drill a hole in your pickguard/ wood depending on the layout of the guitar for the kill switch, so pick a spot you like, clamp a peice of wood on top (for wood so you don't hurt the finish) and drill it. Now reassemble and you should have a fully functional killswitch as flipping it will be breaking the circuit and you still have all your previous circuitry intact including your stock switch.

That method will cause hum. You need to send the signal to the ground.