Hi everyone. I've decided that I'll apply to some music school next year. Which according to you is the best? I was thinking Berklee but I don't know much about it. Though I did a search and found a lot of threads here about Berklee, there seem to be a few users here who are giving auditions or have already passed out of Berklee. There is not much information about other music schools in the world (like Trinity School for example). I am into metal and want to get into a school where I can improve my guitaring skills in this genre. I also want to know the other styles of guitaring (like Blues, Jazz etc), just that I want to master my skills in metal. So what school do you think should I apply?

Also, I am not a very good guitarist. I can't read much music theory either. I've been reading the Berklee website all day today and I think I'll take some time before I can make it to some place like that. So I am giving it one whole year. I will apply next year (2008) and so please tell me how should I go about it? What lessons should I practice, how long should I practice each day, what would be the total expense etc etc. Thanks in advance!
If youre not a good guitarist you'll never make it at berkley.
You have to have at least 2 years of lessons before they will even look at you. Then you have to audition.
You'd be far better off not going to college and just sitting in your room for 24 hours playing guitar non-stop and masturbating. The guitar would give you dexterity in your arse-fingering hand and the masturbating would give you amazing downpicking stamina.

Ah yes, masturbating and metal guitar. Two perfect partners.
people have said that you need to be very fluent in theory, standard notation & you need to have a heavy jazz influence... i think it would be hard to get in w/ what you stated

i've heard about GTI ... check that out maybe?
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Well, if you want to go to Berklee, they have online school for it too, where they do kinda video classes with you, so it's basically the same class, just online... And you can mess around with thoses for a year (it's a bit expensive, but you cna get financing, about $500-900 per class, and each class is either 6 weeks or 12 weeks) and you can learn the main things you would need there, so when you go to audition, you might actually be quite good... But what do I know :P
Quote by treflip
You'd be far better off not going to college and just sitting in your room for 24 hours playing guitar non-stop and masturbating. The guitar would give you dexterity in your arse-fingering hand and the masturbating would give you amazing downpicking stamina.

Ah yes, masturbating and metal guitar. Two perfect partners.

it's so damn true
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
not to hijack the thread or anything but, how hard would it be to study at Berklee as a studio engineer?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

well see... you dont really have to go to a university to get your music learning fix... you can do google, get some programs or books on other styles... the reason why im saying that is you need to be like steve vai (graduate of burklee) to et in and out of there. While I still cant read sheet music that doesnt mean that i cant kick someone who can read musics ass. haha.
Lmao! Nice welcome there. Well I know what you're saying. You don't HAVE to go to Berklee in order to become a good guitarist. I don't even know if Berklee is THE best for that matter. I just think that I can't enjoy anything else besides music. I've worked for almost 3 years now and now I know that whatever work I do, its got to be something related to music, either playing it or selling it. I've always dreamt of becoming like Vai, Satriani and like, but lets not act like kids here. Everyone has dreams and passions in life. I just want to try it as an option. Its just today that I really took this thought seriously - what if I apply to some music schools? I know its going to be fuc*ing difficult, but I'm ready to work my ass off! Also, some of you who have already done their major in music, or are planning to do so, please give some advice.
Last edited by vineet666 at Jan 21, 2007,
Fair enough, but don't get your hopes up and definitely don't focus solely on music, keep your options open.

Realistically you are not going to become a versatile, competent guitarist (in the sense that these music colleges want) in the space of one year. Unless of course you're some sort of uber talented person.
Also i wouldnt go to music college unless you plan on being a pro session musician, because thats the only job a degree from a place like that will get you. Unless you study and mojor in recording arts too.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by vineet666
Also, I am not a very good guitarist. I can't read much music theory either.

Yeah, you have no chance of getting in.
Quote by codybcool
Fair enough, but don't get your hopes up and definitely don't focus solely on music, keep your options open.

Yea, I'm doing that man. I'm already a commerce graduate so atleast i can hope for a job. I had my own business which I quit recently so study further.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Also i wouldnt go to music college unless you plan on being a pro session musician, because thats the only job a degree from a place like that will get you. Unless you study and mojor in recording arts too.

But I heard from my music teacher that you get really good offers after you graduate from Berklee. I know it really depends on what you major in, but is it seriously the only job you get after you get out from there? I've also heard that you can do two specializations from Berklee, one for instrument playing, and other for recording. I need to read the website fully, but considering that its a huge website, I'll take some more time before I get that clear in my head.
Quote by vineet666
But I heard from my music teacher that you get really good offers after you graduate from Berklee. I know it really depends on what you major in, but is it seriously the only job you get after you get out from there? I've also heard that you can do two specializations from Berklee, one for instrument playing, and other for recording. I need to read the website fully, but considering that its a huge website, I'll take some more time before I get that clear in my head.

I'd imagine you only get offered lots of jobs if you're one of the best to come out of there at that time. There are already an endless supply of session musicians, so what's one more worth?
yeah youd have to be top in your class , and most of the people that get job offers from there study recording and/or electronic music and arranging and they get jobs mainly producing music for commercials and news broadcasts and whatnot.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Best guitar school? that'd be Brian's Big Sexy Guitar Academy in Westchester

honestly I'd never go to one of those schools, they just groom you to produce pretty little music they all know how to make - nothing original, just a bunch of session musicain drones
Siftings: Do you have a link to that school?

Teh Forest King: That's also a good idea dude, but no university in my country provides that option. If I end up doing my masters from US/Europe then I might use that option. I haven't decided masters in what, but if this guitar school plan doesn't work out then I'll take anthropology or something related to arts. Do you know any such good universities where I can learn guitar while I'm doing my masters?
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah youd have to be top in your class , and most of the people that get job offers from there study recording and/or electronic music and arranging and they get jobs mainly producing music for commercials and news broadcasts and whatnot.

That sucks.. I would never like to make music for broadcast channels haha! But I guess you can still work for a production company or record labels? They could offer you great job offers after you graduate. You can open your own studio or record company too?