Nope, they aren't the best pedals. It's all a matter of taste. You might really like 'em or you might find them to sound way to tinny and nasel (sp?).
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
for range then i think so, you cant really go wrong with them, nice and compact as well.

but i would prefer a BIG MUFF to one of the new boss fuzz pedals, they sound pretty shite....
.My Rig.

Ibanez GAX75
Laney LV300T
Behringer UD100 ULTRA DISTORTION [lol]
Dano Octave Metal
Dunlop Crybaby
They are definitely not 'the best'. No pedals are 'the best', just like with everything else. Generally boutique pedals are lots better, but that doesn't mean Boss pedals are bad.
there is no best, there are bad ones but there is no best for everyone. For instance, I looooove the Boss DS-1 distortion pedal but a lot of people don't like it. Its all about taste. There are some pedals that you might want to stay away from though. Most digitech stuff is bad and usually multifx pedals are no good. Also analog pedals sounds warmer than digital...but is also more expensive a lot of times. Its all about what you want.
Boss are generally speaking quite good. I think they set the standard for build quality as they are indestructible but for best tone and quality of effect it's often best just to try different things out.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
Boss pedals are massed produced. Tone freaks are generally not impressed. Some of the old discontinued 80's and 90's ones are great. As for modern stuff, for delay, in my opinion, they do pretty well. Dirt pedals are poor and some of the modulation ones are okay. That's my opinion. The vintage boss pedals (DM-2, CE-1) are great. Still my opinion.. Some consider them rare but are actually pretty easy to find. For some better brands, look at Electro Harmonix, Carl Martin, TRex, EMMA, Diamond, Guyatone, Moog, Keeley, Analogman, Roger Mayer.. The list goes on and on. This is a nice store that specializes in high end pedals.
These go to eleven...
Personally, out of mass produced pedals MXR or EHX are my favorite brands. Boss to e just sound way too tinny. But on the talk of boutique pedals, Fulldrive, Banzai, and ZVEX are my favorites. But you cant go wrong with boss if youre not completely obsessed with tone yet....
Boss is the Honda Civic of guitar pedals. they can do everything relatively well, but for any specific thing you can almost always find something that can do it better.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Quote by boardsofcanada
Boss is the Honda Civic of guitar pedals. they can do everything relatively well, but for any specific thing you can almost always find something that can do it better.

Yes. They're your average pedal.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I cant stand some of the boss pedals...I do however have their new RC-2 looper and love it but thats no FX pedal. The DS1 I used to have was too thin for my taste.

I prefer Digitech and Ibanez FX pedals
Quote by boardsofcanada

hahaha, so true! but add some mods, and tweak it a bit, and youll get something truely amazing. Boss pedals have the potential to be awesome. Compared to anything in their price range, along with their reliability, you can't go wrong with boss. Keeping yourself stuck on it would be a shame, try different pedals, not everyone likes chocolate cake.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
theyre probably one of the best made, and durable pedals. average sound.
but it all depends what you want.
if you wanted a tuner, i would get a planet waves rather than a boss.
if you wanted an overdrive, you could probably get an ibanez tube screamer instead.
noise suppressor=MXR or iSP
chorus=electro harmonix
wah....just dont get a boss wah EVER, they suck h-core.
i wouldnt consider a boss the master at anything, there's always something better.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Last edited by danzig-_- at Jan 21, 2007,
i wouldn't say they're the best, but they're pretty good. i perfer the digitech x-series though. they're way more versitle and they can imitate like 7 different rival pedals.
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor