Well, I've convinced my friend to learn the guitar (yay!) and he wants a guitar and and amp (as said.)

He says he's allowed to spend £150-ish on both, so any recommendations?

I was going to say a simple Stagg amp for now - or if he wants a decent amp - an orange crush 10.

Maybe a squier standard tele (I got a strat and regret it) or a Ibanez Gio...

Your suggestions please?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Obviously we should play the UG theme.

ULTIMATE GUITAR! YOO GEE!?
No dude - £150 on both, as in about 150 quid to but both of them, not 150 quid each!
Quote by Sonicxlover
Obviously we should play the UG theme.

ULTIMATE GUITAR! YOO GEE!?
Aha okay, I misread it.

Squier 51 are awesome guitars. They go for about £90.
The Standard series are decent. But overall, squier affinities and bullets are crap.

Roland Micro cubes go for around £60.
They'd make a decent begginer amp although not very loud.

It's very hard to get a decent amp in the price range.
My Squier Affinity was pretty decent, I mean doesnt compare to my MIA but still pretty playable. beckyjc's suggest looks pretty awesome for £150, the Cube is an amazing amp and way better than any other under £200.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
Amp: Vox Pathfinder 10 - It's a cute little killer. Sounds like a punier, slightly less warm AC-series amp.
Guitar: Squire 51 - Have someone who knows their way around a guitar set it up properly (file the sharp edges off the ends of the frets, adjust the truss rod & action, set the pickup height properly and unless the strings are new put on new ones and stretch them). Once you do that it'll play and sound pretty damn good, for a while. Once your friend gets sick of the sound there's always the option of upgrading the pickups, which is pretty easy and reasonibly inexpensive to do.
Id have to disagree about the VOX. The Cube is in my opinion a much better amp, Ive never really liked Vox, not even the all tube AC-30. The cube is as good as a it gets for an SS amp
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER