So I've been wanting to buy a good tube amp for a while now and yesterday I finally had time to stop buy my local music store (Long & Mcquade) and try out some nice amps.

I brought along my Landmine distortion pedal to try it out with different tube amps to see how it would sound and since my budget is $800 this used fender deville caught my eye for just $750. So i plugged in my Landmine and I liked what I heard. I asked the guy at the store if it would be a good idea to buy this amp and add distortion to it to make it sound heavy and to just use the amps cleans and he said yes, a lot of people do that.

So I tryed EQing my pedal and it would only go so heavy. The sound was still nice but i couldnt get those nice Vai-ish Lead tones and I couldnt get those heavy tones I could get on my Line 6 spider II with the pedal plugged in.

So basicly my question is why is this?....and what should i do because i cant really afford a nice tube amp with distortion with the money I've saved up.

The music I play is: Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, and all that shred shit, and I also play a lot of blues.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 370DX
Ibanez TS9Dx
Marshall Dsl 401

Quote by Draind
i've had my eye on the mesa boogie line, my price range is under $600.

Quote by batman123
maybe you could buy a picture of one for 600, and just pretend for awhile...

Last edited by ibanlezbians at Jan 21, 2007,
Can anyone help me please?
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 370DX
Ibanez TS9Dx
Marshall Dsl 401

Quote by Draind

Quote by batman123

you might consider peavey too. classic 50 or the windsor.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Devilles are blues amps. You want heavy, go for a Marshall DSL401 combo. Great distortion which can be made heavier with a pedal. The Marshall can do blues well, have great cleans and is pretty all round versatile.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
The thing is, you CAN afford amps with enough distortion for you. You just need to look around more.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by xifr
Don't complain if someone hasn't answered your question in the first couple hours, it's a forum, not a damn chat room.

That too. If you can't wait 17 minutes for a reply, then why are you here?
If your not gonna help you might as well not say anything.

The Marshall Dsl401 is way over my price range.

Can anyone recommend any more brand name amps that would go good with my pedal?
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 370DX
Ibanez TS9Dx
Marshall Dsl 401

Quote by Draind

Quote by batman123

A used Marshall DSL401.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
A used Marshall DSL401.

Yeh, you can get one in your budget and theyre great combos.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
my only question is that if you say you're already getting kickass tones that you love out of your line 6, why are you looking for a new amp?
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
Im not really getting kickass tones.....If I got a nice tube amp im sure my tone would sound a lot better.

O and I've been looking at some peaveys.... How would my LANDMINE distortion pedal go with a ValveKing 112 for example.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 370DX
Ibanez TS9Dx
Marshall Dsl 401

Quote by Draind

Quote by batman123

We don't know, try them out for yourself.

Try out a DSL401, then if you love it, buy one used.
Don't be afraid to care"

Where can I get a used one for $800 Canadian though? The Long & Mcquade where I live has a ton of used amps but Im pretty sure they dont have a Used Dsl 401 for that much. I've seen one there....but for about $1,000.

And I dont really trust ebay so can anyone suggest where I could possibly get one for that much?
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 370DX
Ibanez TS9Dx
Marshall Dsl 401

Quote by Draind

Quote by batman123

Ebay is very trustworthy in my experience. I've bought a bunch of things off of it. Just get a Paypal account.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
I will look into that...but for now can someone suggest maybe another amp nice Tube combo I could get for about $800.

How about a Peavey ValveKing 112? How would that amp go with my Landmine?
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 370DX
Ibanez TS9Dx
Marshall Dsl 401

Quote by Draind

Quote by batman123

$800? Try a Hot Rod Deville or used Twin Reverb.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
or you might be able to find a used JSX or XXX. JSX sounds perfect for you.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Long & Mcquade where I live doesnt carry Peaveys and other music stores have like 2 amps used at a time tops. So basicly im looking into something not Peavey used....and something Peavey used.

So how will a new Peavey ValveKing 112 sound with my Landmine?
Because when I tryed out a Fender Deville I couldnt get those nice Lead tones for shredding.

Like im basicly getting Evoltuions for my Ibanez so I need a good lead tone or else there would be really no point in buying them...
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 370DX
Ibanez TS9Dx
Marshall Dsl 401

Quote by Draind

Quote by batman123

instead of getting an amp that works well with a pedal, have you considered buying an amp then finding a pedal that will work well with it? just seems more logical to me.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
ye but I already have an expensive $200 dollar pedal that I love so theres no point of buying another one. I rather just buy a nice amplifier to go with it because no matter what im keeping the pedal.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 370DX
Ibanez TS9Dx
Marshall Dsl 401

Quote by Draind

Quote by batman123

well with all the suggestions you have turned down, im afraid ur just gonna have to decide for yourself cause i think everyone is out of ideas..... i would definitely take staticcoverdub's advice and just settle with an amp that works average with your pedal and then buy another pedal that works great with it later on.....
MY RIG!
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Stratocaster standard
Fender Toronado GT HH
Boss OS-2
BBE Sonic Maximizer

Member #31 of the Fender Armada!
Member #2 of the UG Blues Jr. Owners Club!
What are you talking about people have only suggested like 2 or 3 amps.

And still noone has answered my question....How would a Peavey ValveKing 112 go with my distortion pedal as opossed to a Fender Hot Rod Deville.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 370DX
Ibanez TS9Dx
Marshall Dsl 401

Quote by Draind

Quote by batman123

thats probably cause people can only think of 3 quality amps that sound like a good fit for you, as for whether the pedal would go good with one of the 2 amps u mentioned, thats kinda hard to say, what we think sounds good may be different from what u think, u really have to try the peavey out for yourself....
MY RIG!
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Stratocaster standard
Fender Toronado GT HH
Boss OS-2
BBE Sonic Maximizer

Member #31 of the Fender Armada!
Member #2 of the UG Blues Jr. Owners Club!
you bought your local store?

(sorry)

I'd say peavey windsor (it's aimed at those 80's tones), or maybe a traynor ycv50 with boost.

also, remember they get heavier as you turn them up. My gain on 3 sounds heavier at full volume than my gain on 10 at practice volumes. al;so, you can boost the amp's distortion with an overdrive pedal or clean boost (or treble boost, but that might not be as aimed at 80's stuff).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?