We all talk about our theroy and our scales and chord progression, but it seems to me, well at least the music scene around me, the fellow musician's have forgotten their dynamics. I really think it's just the area that im in because, with the expection of a few bands, many are just doing power chords and doing penatonics up and down fast... I dont know were im going with this but is anyone else noticing thi?
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
I hear ya.

Me > Power chord bashing roaring musicians.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Yeah, I've been noticing that, too...
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
Quote by yawn
What exactly do you mean...?

The different ways you play the strings(sometimes lightly and other's louder or slightly building up) the use of slides and hammers and pull off's stuff like mainly im just disappointed in the all around lack of soul that people seem not to be into there music they just want to throw something together and get out there in play which isn't bad the fact that their trying is good but I just would like them to take some time and think about what your doing and why it works and what could make it sound better.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Like they just plug in and let it rip without any prior thought? I hear ya I think lots of times harmonies (in response to the power chord bashing) are more important and dynamics is HUGE
Quote by Izdigger
Arrrgh! The agony! Bring me a virgin and a cup of Devil's brew!

Quote by mr kipling
I can sweep with my boner.I have to use light strings, otherwise My penis will look like an emo wrist.
Its always hard to make good use of dynamics when your sound is being amplified. As most of today's music is amplified you wont hear good usage of dynamics or phrase marks (if theyre even known of these days).

I would say in respect to those bands who play powerchords all the time, let them do what they want. Maybe after time they will realise they are going nowhere and their music sounds the same, but maybe not, and theyll keep on churning out crappy music.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
I will not tolerate powerchord bashing, so no more comments on that.

With dynamics.. You just have to look at the right bands/musicians. That's really all I have to say about it.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
I was talking about the bands in my area that only use power chords, i use power chords in my songs but that's not all i use, thats what im saying. I like to use power chords they're fun to play and they help build a basic song and can have awesome harmony.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Quote by elvenkindje
I will not tolerate powerchord bashing, so no more comments on that.

With dynamics.. You just have to look at the right bands/musicians. That's really all I have to say about it.

Agreed. You just have to look in the right places. But I know what the threadstarter is saying, because you will find that todays music scene doesn't have an abundance of it.

Just throw on some Smashing Pupmpkins and you're set though.
My band director was talking about this a few days ago. He was saying that dynamics are what make classical music and if it's on the radio, you could lose that because they have to compress the sound. Then he went on talking about how modern bands have no dynamics.

I play with dynamics, sometimes I just think to myself "I'm gonna get real quiet". Maybe it's just because I play (clarinet) in a concert band.
Just what Elven said, you have to look in the right place. You can find it, maybe not in all the popular music, but it is out there.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Amp companies didn't include volume pedals with their amps.

I'm dead serious. If my amp, or any other, for that matter, came with a volume control pedal, I'd use dynamics.

As it is, it's pretty hard playing well while running back and forth from your amp adjusting volume, so the volume stays at a constant loud.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by MusicalMinority
Amp companies didn't include volume pedals with their amps.

I'm dead serious. If my amp, or any other, for that matter, came with a volume control pedal, I'd use dynamics.

As it is, it's pretty hard playing well while running back and forth from your amp adjusting volume, so the volume stays at a constant loud.

Pick softly.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
well i mean look at nirvana songs, mostly power chords but awesome songwriting. But powerchords can be repetitive if thats all your using.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Has anyone heard of a volume pedal? Hopefully...
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
I totally agree. Playing guitar is not just about noise. It's about feeling what is being played around you and picking the notes to lead them, or in the case of rythym players, picking the right chords, notes and feel to go with it.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Pick softly.

lol exactly. i was reading that thinking, couldnt you just pick softer? i do that all the time. i always vary how i pick and play a solo. i just let what ever wants to come out, come out.
^ Besides, it sounds better when you have good picking dynamics. Also a lot of people it seems are using compressors or other effects, and those just send your dynamics down the shitter. Having good dynamics is really satisfying with tube amp right on the edge of breaking up.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Abe
Agreed. You just have to look in the right places. But I know what the threadstarter is saying, because you will find that todays music scene doesn't have an abundance of it.

Just throw on some Smashing Pupmpkins and you're set though.

^ Yes. Smashing Pumpkins is one of the best dynamic bands. And not all dynamics are about volume. There is still the use of articulations such as playing notes shorter, longer, accented notes. Doing dynamics is easy, but combine it with great rhythem and it will sound even better.

Actually, I've realised with most bands dynamics come from the drummer; the rhythem section in general, but most dynamics come from the drummer, seriously, go out and get a Smashing Pumpkins CD and listen to Jimmy play, you'll pick up a lot on dynamics.

Love the Low end
Quote by Kidzelda
I think you'd be amazed at how much you can reduce the volume of your playing by turning down the volume of your guitar and picking lighter.

Besides, volume pedals were made for weird swells (like the intro to Metallica's Damge Inc.) rather than controlling dynamics through a whole song. I think controlling volume dynamics is probably harder with a volume pedal anyway.

Quote by Zeelod
And not all dynamics are about volume. There is still the use of articulations such as playing notes shorter, longer, accented notes. Doing dynamics is easy, but combine it with great rhythem and it will sound even better.

Agreed.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
lol exactly. i was reading that thinking, couldnt you just pick softer? i do that all the time. i always vary how i pick and play a solo. i just let what ever wants to come out, come out.

Well, that's a thought that never occurred to me.

Idiot I am and all.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
I agree - dynamics are one of the most importnat parts of all music. By altering dynamics slightly a songs emotion can be changed immensley. I find myself often dabbling in the creation of instrumental acoustic songs that rely heavily upon dynamics and specific feelings to actually make it sound good.

I'm personally not much a fan of the use of powerchrods anymore - I mean I used them excessivley in my first three or fourth months of playing but then I learned barre chords and mvoed on to creating different voicings for generic chords. I find powerchords can be very useful sometimes, but most bands nowadays use the too much for my liking, and therefore I do not like most of today's mainstream music.

Though I do agree that you can find incredible use of dynamics while lsitening to specific bands.