Hey fellow dudes and dudettes! I have a Fender Jazz Bass and an old Fender Sidekick 65 bass amp, and I really want to find a good punk sounding tone similar to that of tone of Mark Hoppus in Blink-182. Can anyone help me out, and please if you're gonna do the whole, "just make your bass sound crappy cuz blink sux" just don't write anything at all. It would be awesome if anyone could actually help out.
Fender Jazz Bass (lefty)
Epiphone Les Paul (lefty)
I can't believe so many people ask this question....

For the 100000th time: Crank the mids and treble up, add a bit of bass, and play with a pick. It would also help to reduce the volume on your neck pickup a bit.
Using a pick will get you most of the way there already. Keeping your tone wide open helps.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Charlatan_001
I can't believe so many people ask this question....

For the 100000th time: Crank the mids and treble up, add a bit of bass, and play with a pick. It would also help to reduce the volume on your neck pickup a bit.

I've found having less treble and even more mids gives a much more "plunkplunkplunk" tone that suits pop-punk style music pretty well.

Also a little more gain than you'd normally use helps give it some dirt and drive for some of the more "aggressive" pop-punk bands (Green Day et cetera).
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Thanks I guess I need to turn the mids up more.
Fender Jazz Bass (lefty)
Epiphone Les Paul (lefty)
make your EQ frown, then dime the highest frequency. Play with a pick, and on your Fender just turn up all the knobs then back off the neck pickup about 1/8th of a turn or more.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by SuperSnake2012
If you have a P, Quarter Pounders will help too. I'm not sure how the Jazz 1/4 pounders are though.

+ mother f'n 1 to that. P Quarter Pounders are sweet as sin.

But as said, he's got a J. He should lean on his neck pickup and roll the tone back.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Put your low end at around 2 o'clock, mids at about 8-9 o'clock, and crank the treble. Voila, pop-punk tone.
What my band does for bass is have lots and lots of lows, to add lots of presence so the guitars can noodle around a bit more. I put the mids at a little less than half, and the highs around 9 o' clock so you can really hear that pretty picked bass sound.
Using this setup is not only beautiful for a pick, but will give you lots of bass for clean breaks and any other place you'd use half or whole notes with your fingers.
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
^ This thread is almost 4 years old, I'm not even sure how you dug it up.

Repo'd for the necropost.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass