I'm looking for an amp that's under 20 watts and will cost around £400-£500 ($800-$1000) I need it to be good at low to medium gain and have decent cleans (Cleans aren't the most important - as long as they don't suck it's cool) The Orange Tiny Terror and Hughes and Kettner Edition 20th anniversary spring to mind. Any thoughts on those and any other suggestions welcome!

I made a similar thread a few weeks ago, but there was very little response, so anyone who has any ideas please speak up!

Cheers
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
Why such low wattage? In that price range you could get the JCM401, or a lot of other nice amps.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
It's for recording purposes and the cubes aint gonna cut it, cheers so far though but the JCM401 isn't really what i'm after.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
im personally into fender amps, the fender frontman comes in 15 watts,25 watts and sounds wonderfull i had one for a year or two. its also well in the price range your looking for. it has a drive channel the sounds pretty good its deffinatly one of the best sounds you can get out of a little amp like that
I think it's a bit out of your price range...but have you looked at the Line 6 Flextones? I bet you could get one on ebay for fairly cheap, its an SS modeling amp, higher than 20 watts, but it sounds nice.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
^^ by the £400-500 price bracket, i think he's looking for more than a frontman
<20Watt Valve amps. The reason I'm after under 20W is because I want to drive the valves and still be able to record fairly easily and not have my ears bleed in the process.
Amazing looking amp moody! It's a shame it's about double the price in the UK
Quote by aliwilson27
It's for recording purposes

Do you really even need 20W? I'd be looking at stuff under 5W. Maybe save some money in the process. The Tiny Terror looks like a great choice, and you'd probably do well to have it switched to 7W mode. The Minimat from Matamps looks really cool, too. For smooth bluesy overdrive in a tiny package, the ZVex Nano makes a great recording amp.

Ceriatone and Torres Engineering make some very cool, small products.

You have a lot of options with a relatively big budget.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah I've had a look at the minimats and they are pretty good. The Nano was an option, but i want the ability to be able to maybe use it to play at friend's parties etc. Tiny Terror is looking increasingly like a winner.
Why get an amp when you can get a signal processor? I use one for all my recording, no volume at all with out your headphones. Search for "headphone amps," I think that's what they're called.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Last edited by alienboy18241 at Jan 21, 2007,
A valvestate...
Epiphone Valve Junior FTW!

Why hasn't anybody mentioned it yet?

You can get a head or a combo.

5 watts, all class A tube sound.
The combo has a little 8'' speaker, or you can get a head, which can drive 4, 8, or 16 ohm cabinets. It can even drive a 4x12'' cabinet.

And it's cheap.
And easily moddable.
Search YouTube for some sound clips.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
The Valve junior is pretty impressive but there us just something about it that just doesn't do it for me.
What amp do you currently have? Why not just get a good attenuator for around $200, then you'll be able to crank your amp at low volumes and retain the tone.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
That's the problem. My previous amp is SS and shite so an attenunator would be no use. Keep the ideas coming. Getting some good feedback here!
I've always liked the smaller Fender amps, such as the Blues Jr. or Pro Jr. well in your price range. But the gain may not do it, I found the drive to be great for Fender.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Vox ValveTronix AD15VT.

$179.99. 11 amp models. Many built in effects. Exceptional cleans. I mainly use it for nailing a Beatles tone. But then again, if your budget is that much, you could get a Vox AC30 (or 15, I forget).
Ben
I suspect the h&k will be too modern. It's worth a try though, as your definition of low to medium gain might be different to mine.

I haven't tried the tiny terror.

laney vc15 would be worth a look too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?