Well I read all the stickies and everything but I have a couple questions still.

1. What is a decent soundcard i can use for recording that is a moderate price?

2. What is the major sounds difference between micing and using a direct line out?

3. And if there is eom general information i should know before i start recording what would that be?

Thx for the help.
Quote by HumBucker666
I get carrot skinned regularly by a electrified carrot skinning device

Quote by ~G{}{}BER~
MUSIC HAS NO RULES
I have a SoundBlaster Audigy, you can get an OEM version for pretty cheap, good quality audio. As far as line out vs micing it the line out is going to give you a much cleaner sound very easily. The reason alot of professionals use mics is because you can get a "live" sound out of it but also because there are some simple tricks that improve the ambience of the music, sometimes getting stronger tones or better dynamics (Foo Fighters tossed a 10 watt Marshall in a metal garbage can along with a microphone and that's how they recorded their whole album). Micing you can get better results but you have to work for it, plus you'll also notice that the sounds that come from your amp and the ones that get recorded from your line out won't sound the exact same (they can actually end up being quite different). I don't have a very good mic so I generally just stick to the line out, sounds great and alot better than anything my 2 dollar mic could pick up.
1. What is a decent soundcard i can use for recording that is a moderate price?

Check out my Home Recording Soundcard Wizard

2. What is the major sounds difference between micing and using a direct line out?

With micing, the sound will be good if you know what you are doing or crappy if you don't. With a direct line in, the sound will be terrible regardless of whether you know what you are doing or not.

3. And if there is eom general information i should know before i start recording what would that be?

Check out my http://forum.recordingreview.com/showthread.php?t=1506">Getting Started With Home Recording Guide
A decent sound card is what you already have in your PC, unless the PC is old dynasour. To step up significantly, you should just bypass the sound card and go all firewire. But I would not do that yet.

Its a bunch of crap that you can't get good quality using line in. If you connect it properly, you will record with good tone and low noise, but if you connect it wrong, you will get absolute crap. But as was said it actaully takes a lot more acoustical skills to use a mic on an amp, but if you have the nack, it is generally how its done.

In general I think if your live sound is good, then micing is definately the way to go. But if you are going to dink with it on the computer adding effects/etc then you want the signal as dry as possible and go direct as possible to the recording device.

Also to get good tone/low noise with a mic, you need some skill, one or more good mics, good mic pre-amps, multiple amps/cabinets and you have to load the amps if they have tubes to get the tone or you have to blow your ears, etc. All that is quite expensive and a lot of work.