Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180
Ashdown MAG C115-300

The Electric Blue is cheaper, but the MAG has twice the wattage, and isn't that much more expensive. I'm not sure if I'll need 300W, but I don't want to get caught in a situation where I would need it.

If anyone has experiance with either amp, please tell me what you think.

Also, if anyone has other suggestions (my price range is around $400, but I can go somewhat higher if I need to), fill me in.
If you can stretch the extra for the MAG then go for it, the 300 watts leaves you with headroom so if you do ever need it, you have the extra wattage. Plus i would buy the 4x10 combo rather than the 1x15, its a little more expensive but IMO its better because it has more defined highs
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
youd never need a 300 watt amp really...
if your playing a venue that would require 300 watts youd be micced up usually..
300 watts for bass is not the same as 300 for guitar...

a bass needs atleast double of what the guitarist is using to be heard propely is what I have heard...
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
It's always a good idea to have more power than less though. Pro's use way more than 300 watts usually, and still get mic'd up.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
i have the MAG 300 in the 4 x 10 combo thing

sounds gd works well

everyone gets miced if the place has a pa system
Quote by indie-bassist
Plus i would buy the 4x10 combo rather than the 1x15, its a little more expensive but IMO its better because it has more defined highs

I agree, but sadly, the 4x10 is out of my price range, although I'm still considering holding out a bit until I can afford something bette

EDIT: I would like to remind people that I still haven't made a final decision, and if anyone has other amps to suggest, throw them out there.
aw but i do remember the nice bassy peavey in the shop, the big down side: NO HANDLES on the peavey!!! the ashdown MAG is worth it haggle !!!!
MAG!!!! (A little tip - the new ones are 300W and made in China or somewhere. The old ones were 400W and made in the UK. Second hand MAGs are the best)
Quote by Decdec
aw but i do remember the nice bassy peavey in the shop, the big down side: NO HANDLES on the peavey!!! the ashdown MAG is worth it haggle !!!!

If you mean side handles, the MAG doesn't have them either.

Quote by smb
MAG!!!! (A little tip - the new ones are 300W and made in China or somewhere. The old ones were 400W and made in the UK. Second hand MAGs are the best)

Thanks for the info.
Yh the 4 X 10 does, the 15 is smaller in size so thats ok

the peavey was huge nearly as big as my mag and thats big enough to be difficult to carry on your own!! (takes drummers dad to move it anywhere seriously without help!)
I have a MAG. I decided to go with it over the EB because it can use an extension cab while working as a monitor. It works great and it is loud enough for playing with two metal guitarists and a loud drummer. The only thing I disike about it is the fact that it only has one handle on the top. It weighs more than 60 pounds so it's difficult to transport on your own. I have to carry it from the bottom. Maybe you can put wheels on it
I've tried both. The Electric Blue is okay. I used it during a gig, and I felt it was underpowered. I had to ask for quite a bit of bass in my monitor. Can't say about the preamp because I bypassed it usinga Bass Pod.

The MAG is a decent amp. I've tried one which was really quiet, but tried another one and it was good. The bright and deep options are nice to sculpting your tone, especially if you're using a passive bass.

Also, the more headroom the better. Ideally you want your volume knobs nowhere near 10. Driving at max with a 150W amp doesn't make for a nice tone. I understand for gigs some venues will mic/DI you, but in my experience most venues have crap PA's so shouldn't rely on it to carry all of your sound. You'll be lucky to get even half decent monitoring. Good backline is great, if you have the back and transportation (which I don't so I'm sticking with my Bass Pod at gigs and take whatever backline comes my way if any).
I'm pretty happy with my MAG, but rather than the 115 combo, id go for the 210 seeing as the 410 is out of your price range.
I just recently bought a MAG 600 and its awesome with my Stingray as its very clear and the eq is great. I actually use both the MAG and EB as I use an ABY to split my signal and it sounds absolutely awesome. Enough headroom with my cabs and loving it. Go for the MAG. The EB is cool just it doesnt have enough juice for gigs.
Quote by SuperSnake2012
I have a MAG. I decided to go with it over the EB because it can use an extension cab while working as a monitor. It works great and it is loud enough for playing with two metal guitarists and a loud drummer. The only thing I disike about it is the fact that it only has one handle on the top. It weighs more than 60 pounds so it's difficult to transport on your own. I have to carry it from the bottom. Maybe you can put wheels on it

I plan to put wheels on it, although I still have stairs to deal with...

Quote by fatboyme
I'm pretty happy with my MAG, but rather than the 115 combo, id go for the 210 seeing as the 410 is out of your price range.

Will the 210 be able to do as much as a 410 or a 115? From what I can tell, 210's are usually used as extension cabs, not as a full amp. Plus, they're tiny, and I'm afraid I might step on it and break it or something.