Poll: Which of these would you must want to hear about when listening to music?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which of these would you must want to hear about when listening to music?
Works of pre-20th century literature (prose)
6 9%
Works of 20th-century literature (prose)
8 12%
Works of traditional poetry
9 13%
Works of 20th century poetry
6 9%
Pre-20th century historical events
4 6%
20th century historical events
5 7%
Philosophical and/or religious ideologies
18 26%
None of these seem that interesting to me.
12 18%
Voters: 68.
Page 1 of 2
Simple question - which of the following seems the most appealing to you as a listener when listening to lyrics? Aka, which lyrical influence do you think would be the most interesting to hear about when listening to music?

Works of pre-20th century literature (prose)
Ex: Jane Eyre, Frankenstein, A Tale of Two Cities, The Awakening, Heart of Darkness

Works of 20th-century literature (prose)
Ex: Grapes of Wrath, Anthem, Catcher in the Rye, Darkness at Noon, 1984, Animal Farm, Their Eyes Were Watching God, The Great Gatsby, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, The Gulag Archipelago, Slaughterhouse-Five, A Separate Peace, The Stranger

Works of traditional poetry
Ex: The Odyssey, The Canterbury Tales, Hamlet, Macbeth, Othello

Works of 20th century poetry
Ex: The works of Stephen Crane, T. S. Eliot, E. E. Cummings, Walt Whitman, etc.

Pre-20th century historical events
Ex: The stuff you learned in world history.

20th century historical events
Ex: WWI, the Russian revolutions, WWII (trench warfare, the Rape of Nanking, Unit 731, etc), the Vietnam War (the My Lai Massacre, the psychological dehumanization of war, etc), etc.

Philosophical and/or religious ideologies
Existentialism (Dostoevsky, Nietzsche, etc), Hinduism (Atman, Dukkha, Brahman, etc), Buddhism, Social Utopianism, Christianity (the Rapture, the End Times, etc), the Machiavellian principle, etc.

Basically, I'm just curious as to what would be the most interesting influences to draw upon as a songwriter/lyricist.

(p.s. - I mean "20th century" more as the general era than the specific years.)
Last edited by yawn at Mar 10, 2007,
I'd have to say literature. But if I were to write lyrcis, wouldn't it just be based on what you feel?
Quote by ctb
I'd have to say literature. But if I were to write lyrcis, wouldn't it just be based on what you feel?
That's what I used to do, but now I've realized that it's just so damn generic, and - for the most part - somewhat trite. I want to be a little more experimental and unorthodox in my approach to lyricism (kind of like Iron Maiden).
I love the songs based on or creating their own epics, which, as far as I can tell, i the poetry one.

I like a lot more than that, but epics are really cool, and songs that can incase that vibe, and writing ability is just awesome.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Either pre-20th century poetry (Rimbaud, Baudelaire, Verlaine, that sort of thing specifically) or philosophy.
20th century poetry....sorry, but i love elliot, cunnings (whitman not so much cuz of his stlye) but i like some older stuff too.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I would like to experiment with writing lyrics based on prose but usually I write about what's real to me, or what I observe around me. I tried to write a song based on a book once...the song was called "It aint Heaven on Cloud 9 (Anymore)"...it wasn't that great...
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Works of 20th-century literature (prose). to the other person who picked it.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
You better watch what the fuck flies outta your mouth
Or Imma hijack a plane and fly it into your house.

I'm influenced and inspired by the passion and raw energy these lyrics portray.
Quote by AWA
Feelings.
You mean

Love

and

Anger

and

Hatred

and

Sadness

and

Heartbreak

and

Batman?
They asked me for some collateral and I pulled down my pants.

I want to hear about Bob Dylan's ding-dongs.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by yawn
You mean

Love

and

Anger

and

Hatred

and

Sadness

and

Heartbreak

and

Batman?

Obviously.
Wade in the water, child.
Quote by excalibur672
Pre-20th century is very very very very broad. Just saying.
Yeah, but I'm guessing most people won't really care much for the period between the classical age and the Renaissance. I probably could have distinguished the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries as well, but few people are responding enough as it is =D
I love writing about myth as well. Songs like "Freya" by the Sword are great.

Also, band names with mythological links and such are great.

My old band was actually called Dionysus for a few months, before they changed their name to Tribal Rose.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by fallenangel20
I love writing about myth as well. Songs like "Freya" by the Sword are great.

Also, band names with mythological links and such are great.

My old band was actually called Dionysus for a few months, before they changed their name to Tribal Rose.
You guys must have loved your alcohol
If by Traditional poetry you mean the Romantic era and Industrial revolution poetry then that one. Shakespere and homer were good poets but their stuff has little reference to the problems of today. The romantic era of poetry was so against the status quo and soo uplifting that when you tranfer it to lyrics it still has much of the same meaning today as it did in the 1700s. Rebellion against mistreatment by the government, lack of freedom, in touch with nature and magic.

Im checking trad poetry, but if there was an option entitled 21st century politics then i think that would probably have just as much effect on my writings.
Quote by J.R.R. Tolkein
All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.

Quote by CowboyUp
If a mute swears, does his mum wash his hands with soap?

Food for thought from AussiE
Last edited by Aussie Ghost at Jan 21, 2007,
Nah, yawn, he just loved the name, and he said it was the god of wine and it's uses (partying. ).

We also used another name I won't mention, because I love it so much, and I'm not risking it getting stolen.

Also, songs about myths, epics, or those ancient writings are usually some of the best you hear of. Like "The Odyssey"- Symphony X, "Dante's Inferno"- Iced Earth, and songs styled in those tales and such, like "The Psalm of Lydia"- Nevermore.

Saxo-Walrus

Hm, seems like no one's interested in 20-th century historical events. I personally find a shitload of interesting stuff to write about regarding World War II. There's just so much insane stuff that happened that a lot of it almost seems too grotesque to be true.
Personaly I wouldnt write about any of the above subjects.
To me, writing about poetry is writing a cover song, writing about philosophical ideals means having to give an opinion, and writing about literature is frankly... boring.
Having said that, it possibly depends on what style of music you are writing.
Oh, me as well, I just didn't prefer it over the rest.

I love learning about WWII, Vietnam, Soviet Russia, Jonestown, all of that. It's all very dark, mostly from all the scandal and corruption from that time,.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by yawn
Hm, seems like no one's interested in 20-th century historical events. I personally find a shitload of interesting stuff to write about regarding World War II. There's just so much insane stuff that happened that a lot of it almost seems too grotesque to be true.

Like One by Metallica!
I like how you included 1984 in there. Have you seen my song about it? It's in big red letters in my sig.

By the way, I picked 20th Century Historical Events, as it seemed lonely. But honestly, I'd love to hear/write songs about just about any of those topics! Also, I like to hear songs dealing with personal stuff, like despair, angst, loneliness, lost love, rejection, pain, and any sort of negative human emotion. I also like love songs.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Jan 21, 2007,
Quote by fallenangel20
Oh, me as well, I just didn't prefer it over the rest.

I love learning about WWII, Vietnam, Soviet Russia, Jonestown, all of that. It's all very dark, mostly from all the scandal and corruption from that time,.
Soviet Russia pwns

Seriously though, Arthur Koestler's Darkness at Noon (about the Old/New Guard change during the Russian Revolution) is just an amazing novel. Definitely one of my favorites.

Quote by Lightbearer
Like One by Metallica!
Well, that was inspired by WWI

Quote by Holy Katana
I like how you included 1984 in there. Have you seen my song about it? It's in big red letters in my sig.
Lol, maybe I'll check it out =)
When I think of Soviet Russia, I always think of the creation of the KGB and the Kulaks first, only because I feel it's porbably the most disgraceful act done by man.

Seriously, everyone says, "The Holocaust was sooooooooo wrong. They klilled 6 million Jews, gays, blacks, and gypsies, JUST BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T PART OF THEIR STATUS QUO!!"

Well, Stalin killed nearly 25 million peasants, just because he didn't like them.

Saxo-Walrus

for 20th century add a Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess and Naked Lunch by William S. Burroghs, they've influnced me and others

Quote by Doolittle
for 20th century add a Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess and Naked Lunch by William S. Burroghs, they've influnced me and others
Cool. Though, I probably won't edit the first post just cause I want to keep it to books I've personally read, for simplicity's sake
Political issues are good topics, too. It's a shame that metal bands these days shy away from them.

I'd love to see a song or even a concept album based on Goethe's Faust. That shit's so metal, it's malleable, ductile, conducts electricity very well, and comprises most of the Periodic Table!
Quote by Aussie Ghost
Shakespere and homer were good poets but their stuff has little reference to the problems of today..

Shakespeare's venerated for his ability to write peices that transcend time as they touch base in the human soul. This is why the settings of his plays didn't matter, because they all were written to expose human truths. I think he's relevant to today more so than almost any author.
My two biggest influences are Shakespeare and Claudio Sanchez. I'm in the process of writing a song telling the story of a paedophile in Tokyo which is heavily influenced by Shakespeare, in particular, Macbeth. And Sanchez is a massive influence on me, I love his almost narrative style of songwriting.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by Holy Katana
Political issues are good topics, too. It's a shame that metal bands these days shy away from them.

I stay away from political issues for the sole reason that they don't last in the long run. I try to be timeless, and I don't write music to spread propaganda.
Quote by cockzit
I stay away from political issues for the sole reason that they don't last in the long run. I try to be timeless, and I don't write music to spread propaganda.
Pfft, you think poo and animals are timeless?

Well, they kind of are.
Page 1 of 2