Ok, i am getting frustrated because i don't see how to do this. My picking hand is like a relaxed fist, but i firm grip on the pick. I am trying to pick a stuttering rhythm like in Metallicas "Battery" or Triviums "The Deceived", where they pick the lower E/D string really quickly, almost a stutter. I don't see how to do this, and if i should change my picking hand technique

Help!
The Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Roland Cube 30x
you need to look up some tutorials on tremolo picking

at least i thinks thats what your asking for
fender strat
fender acoustic
line6 spider 2 150 watt
can of, rock your face off

..................you cant spell crap without rap.......................
i know wot ur on about. i found it reli hard to learn....i cant remember how i did....i just sort of tense a bit (most may say to relax) and just have like bursts. practise slow i suppose and then get faster...should nail it then
Quote by timeh
you need to look up some tutorials on tremolo picking

at least i thinks thats what your asking for

No, i an tremolo pick just fine, its the stuttering rhythm that i can't do. I have no idea if its my horrible sense of timing or my experience and picking technique.
The Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Roland Cube 30x
Quote by death_metaller
i know wot ur on about. i found it reli hard to learn....i cant remember how i did....i just sort of tense a bit (most may say to relax) and just have like bursts. practise slow i suppose and then get faster...should nail it then

I guess it will just come to me then, since you get what i am talking about.
The Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Roland Cube 30x
its like a really quick version of a gallop but just a little off of the gallop. The way i did it was i just listened to the song and tried to figure out how the pattern of the picking goes and then do that and then speed it up once you get it down.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
Quote by Atomic_gerbil
I guess it will just come to me then, since you get what i am talking about.

well the biggest example would probs be slayers raining blood...after the intro....jam along to that...should help....like i said the way i do it is sorta like quick little bursts and then keep practisin that
Troy Stetina, Thrash Guitar Method.

That should have the answers to your problems.

edit: to elaborate a little... That book has great description and example of uses of most techniques used in thrash guitar playing - syncopation, all sorts of galloping rhythms, shifting accents, etc etc. It's absolutely awesome and I recommend it to anyone interested in playing modern heavy metal music.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Last edited by ar73m at Jan 21, 2007,