Hey guys,

I was lucky enough to get a ValveKing 112 for Christmas, which was great fun until about Boxing Day, when the amp began to make low-level fuzzing noise whenever it was on, which severely disrupted the playing experience. My Dad and I took it apart and found that nearly all of the solder joints were pretty much dry, and likely the cause of the problems - although we couldn't be certain. So we asked to return it for a new one.

GAK finally comes round to replace it about a week or two ago, and I get a brand spanking new one. However, two days ago, I was playing at considerably low volume when it made a very loud noise and cut out - I'm pretty sure one of the valves exploded or something, it was glowing purple even after I disconnected power anyway. And now it's almost definitely broken and needs replacing. But basically I'm fed up.

So two things - has anyone else experienced problems with the Peavey ValveKing series, and does anyone know of similarly priced valve amps I could get as a replacement that are more reliable than the ValveKings? If it helps, I usually play either an Ibanez SZ520 with Duncan pickups or my old, cheap Strat copy; I like to play pretty much any styles (although jazz has thus far confounded me... must look into that :P) , although I focus on rock/blues wth some metal and country stuff too.

Thanks very much,
Chris
mhm well alot of people say VK is unreliable ... i have had no problems w/ mine so im lucky.
now, shouldnt that still be under warrenty?

anyways, ive heard thre Ashdown Fallen Angel is a good tube amp in the same range as VK
check it out on some sites, mayeb get some recomendations form owners ... test it out
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
laney vc30 should be better too, I'd have thought. it's £300 on gak, if I remember right. the footswitch is about £15 extra, I think.

That being said, you should milk it and get them to throw something in for the bother.

it ruined your Christmas, remember!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?