I am wiring my strat to drop a DiMarzio YJM into the neck but I have a problem...

When wired, there is almost no output on this pickup alone. When mixed with the middle pup (stock pickup) all I can hear is the middle pickup. What is the deal?
You ****ed up your wiring.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Double check all your solder joints. If you have a multimeter, check to see if the pickups has any resistance, it might be a faulty pickup.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Additionaly, would it be to much to ask for someone to make me a diagram of a strat with a four conductor single sized pickup in the neck and normal single coils in the middle and bridge?
Why are you putting the 'bucker into the neck and not the bridge? Strats are loved for their creamy neck tone, I'm just interested why you chose to put it here.
How is the 'bucker wired up at the moment? All you should have to do is use the diagram here, with the red being hot, the black and white soldered together and taped off(providing you're not coil splitting), and the green and bare soldered to the ground.
EDIT: Wait, I'll have to better explain what I mean, I'll post a modified diagram in a minute
EDIT 2: I just saw that Yngwie uses that pickup in the neck, I'm guessing you're a fan? Here's a diagram anyway, I'm fairly sure it's correct
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Last edited by the_random_hero at Jan 21, 2007,
I have it wired just as you mentioned, red as hot and with the black and white soldered together as well as the green and bare to ground. I could get a slight amount of sound but it's volume was tiny compared to the other pickups.

Edit: Um, a moderate fan yes but I have a full sized humbucker I will be installing soon to the bridge.

Edit2: Since I had it correctly wired and the sound was very low, how would I test the pup with a mulitmeter to see if it is working the way it is supposed to?
Last edited by ExplorerFreak at Jan 21, 2007,
I'm no multimeter expert, but I'm assuming you would set it to read ohms and measure between the red and the green first (which should be around its stated output), then between the red and the black/white (which should be around half its output) and then between the green and the black/white (again, around half the output).
Thanks for all your help.

Edit: I'm getting no readings at all.
Last edited by ExplorerFreak at Jan 21, 2007,
If you're getting no readings, you're doing something wrong.