Poll: Which Active Pickups Are Better?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Active Pickups Are Better?
Emg
22 69%
Seymour Duncan
10 31%
Voters: 32.
Which Brand of Active Pickups are better ?
Emg 81 and 85 or Seymour Duncan KH-LiveWire Pickups
Last edited by dartz_master at Jan 21, 2007,
EMG's are for no humming. David Gilmour used them. They have great cleans and good sustain.

Seymour Duncan has about 100 models of pickups.
Actully this is a question ive been wondering for a fair while now, would be cool to see other peoples opinions tho. I know the Livewire is a higher output pickup but if u listen to the soundbites on SD's website you may notcie the clean tone sucks balls lol it just dosnt do clean full stop, not that the EMG does much better tho from what i hear but saying that, its hardly what those pickups are designed for lol
wellDaves pick ups are more designed for his tone trebly while emgs have alot of bass i have not played the livewires but from what i hear are pretty compareable to EMGs
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
emgs flag ship81 85 set up is nowhere near as verstale as seynoursflagship set up the sh 2 sh4
^ that may be true, but at least the EMG's excel at something.

the TS is talking about the actives, though, and I haven't tried the SD actives, so I can't comment.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I agree with Dave besides one or two pick ups Duncan is subpar i Like the Custom and '59 and i like the Alnico Pros in hollows but thats it most of there pick ups are trebly and fizzy
^ +1

a couple of the duncans aren't bad ('59 springs to mind), but by and large, from all the ones I've tried, I can take 'em or leave 'em.

EMG's are horribly unversatile (perhaps bar the singles, and I admit i haven't tried the 60 which might be better), but at least they do what they're aimed at (modern metal) well. IMO.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The 81/85 combo is indeed geared for metal. I use the 81 for riffage and the 85 for solos and it excels at that. But the 85 can't really pull off cleans. I imagine the livewires are no better at cleans, but having the Emgs I can tell you that they are great for high gain anything. If you're playing requires a lot of cleans you might want to use passive pickups.
That loser shit's right out the window!
Quote by outlaw metaler
I pearsonoly think passives are better then actives

You, my friend. Know your shit!
Schecter C-1 XXX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa MarkIII green stripe
Randall RM100
Park 412
Ive got The EMG Zakk set in one les paul and Seymour invaders in the other. The EMG's have loads more definition and note clarity along with really big bottom end. The Invaders are a lot more muddier than the emg's, but have massive bottom end and IMO a little better tone especially when you back of the gain a bit. For all out metal, I prefer the EMG's.
Not sure about active Seymours though.
OK jonny i agree with you because EMGs are good but you cant compare them to invaders i mean invaders are bottom rung in Duncans line up i consider them worse than the dimebucker and thats hard. So EMGs compared to something similar to themselves would be better for analyzes reasons
Quote by Syn Harvest
OK jonny i agree with you because EMGs are good but you cant compare them to invaders i mean invaders are bottom rung in Duncans line up i consider them worse than the dimebucker and thats hard. So EMGs compared to something similar to themselves would be better for analyzes reasons

+1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?