Out of those two I'd go with the B-5. If you have two omni-directional mics (like the ECM8000) you won't get as good of a stereo image as the mics will essentially pick up everything the same amount, defeating the purpose of stereo overheads. With cardioids, you get the better image because the different mics point at different sides of the kit and pick up that side better than the other, giving you a stereo image when you pan them left and right.
If you have two omni-directional mics (like the ECM8000) you won't get as good of a stereo image as the mics will essentially pick up everything the same amount, defeating the purpose of stereo overheads.

Well... sort of. This is true if you are assuming he is recording with X/Y overheads.

If he used spaced pair, there is no doubt that the mic closest to the hihat will get more hihat and the mic closer to the floor tom will get more floor tom.

Earthworks sells a $2,000 kit with 3 mics that people rave about. 2 of the mics are omni's, so it's not like omni doesn't work on drums. The need for stereo separation is debatable too. With the exception of the close mic'd stuff, I don't think drums need that much stereo width. Mono drums can be extremely powerful , if done correctly. I've done the mono overhead thing several times and then just panned the toms. Sometimes, it's awesome.

Depends on the song and music, of course.

Brandon