So I'm looking to buy a new amp and I was wondering about the Line 6 Spider III's. Why are they considered "bad"? I play mostly metal, and they don't sound too bad to me, but I would like some more opinions on the product. Any help is greatly appreciated and please no shit like, "THEY SUCK, DON'T GET ONE OMGZORZ!!!11!!". Please. Thanks in advance.
Wait, so... you want to buy this amp, and you're looking for opinions to seal the deal, but the opinions aren't allowed to be against buying it? What the ****?
RIP RICHARD DUNN
No, no, no. I meant like saying stuff against it without any reasoning behind it, sorry for the mix-up.
Quote by Teabag of Truth
Wait, so... you want to buy this amp, and you're looking for opinions to seal the deal, but the opinions aren't allowed to be against buying it? What the ****?

I think he just doesn't want people to go off on how much they personally don't like them.

I got a spider III 30 watter for christmas, and it's pretty good; i was hoping for something better, but i do like it. They're really nice if your on a tight budget, but there are much better amps out there if you have the cash. how much do you have anyway?
Nikolas
I owned a Flextone III. That is the next step up from the spider III.
I played that thing for over a year, I looked into every tone there was, and I'll tell you, there wasn't much. Basicly everyone about the amp is poor, the distortion, the clean. It breaks up past half volume.
The cab modeling is a joke, it's just a bunch of bad tones compiled together.
The amp is also Line 6, it's like the Skion of guitars, LOTS OF GIMMICKS little goes into the product. Sure it has a lot of features, but none are even mediocore.
Also stay away from pedal boards, single pedals ftw.

I tried a tube amp, and I never went back. They can be bought comparably at the same price. I now own a crate palomino, which is what BoDiddley used to use. It has a great distortion and breaks up early, plus it has seperate conrols for the preamp and amp power, which is slightly different than master and volume. Gives you more control imo.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V16-Palomino-15W-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487826
You dont need much more than a 15w, it's plenty big to play over any set of drums with room to spare.
First off, as budget goes...I have very little. And what do you mean by the term, "breaks up"?
Quote by Schecter1277
I owned a Flextone III. That is the next step up from the spider III.
I played that thing for over a year, I looked into every tone there was, and I'll tell you, there wasn't much. Basicly everyone about the amp is poor, the distortion, the clean. It breaks up past half volume.
The cab modeling is a joke, it's just a bunch of bad tones compiled together.
The amp is also Line 6, it's like the Skion of guitars, LOTS OF GIMMICKS little goes into the product. Sure it has a lot of features, but none are even mediocore.

this man speaks the truth
Quote by Kouichi
First off, as budget goes...I have very little. And what do you mean by the term, "breaks up"?

Whatever you were playing sounds like fuzz. It's like if you took your headphones out of your ears and turned them all the way up and tried to listen.
I have a Spider III 15, and it's my first amp, so I'm happy with it, since I'm only a beginner. When I get better I'll stay away from modeling amps, definitely. Although I'm not going for tube amps, since they're very expensive. So, if you have any decent distortion pedals (a RAT, perhaps) you might want to consider a solid state amp.

Anyway, about the amp, it's good for a beginner, with it's distortion settings and all, altough I don't use the effects, just the reverb, sometimes. If it's your second amp, read the paragraph above. If you use your headphones, you'll have to turn the volume very high and you'll get static and fuzz. Without the headphones, at that "fuzzy volume", it's gonna be probably too loud, though.
Quote by Schecter1277

Pedal boards are a bunch of single effects on a board. I think multi-effects processors is what your talking about.

Spiders aren't bad for a cheap amp with good distortion in its price range. Yes you can get better amps, but you probably won't get a nice tube amp for metal until you reach the $1000+ range. Unless you go used but thats still pretty expensive.

Most low end tube amps are made for cleans or light overdrive.

And the valveking just sounds bad.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
in the end it depend what YOU want. If you've palyed it and like it, get it.

Dont let strangers convince you otherwise.

If it sounds good to you, it is good for you.

IMO, from my experience with the fiddling i did at GC, it is a pretty solid amp, (I played teh 75) and it had some pretty dead on effects.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I would stay away. My friend has a spider II and if the III isn't at least a huge improvement I would stay away.

I would go with a Roland cube. Best solid state amp I've ever played/owned.
vox have one of best amp distortions iv heard on a little practice amp
gets decently loud and the effects actually are decend go with the 15w vox
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Yer people my hate me for saying this but i played on a 150w(or summat around that size) crate (not sure exactly what each of these were), a similar size Vox and Marshall and then on a Spider 3 (4get the wattage... but about the same size) and the spider 3 was by far the f***ing best :P
I can't wait till i get the money and buy it :P lol

xxxx
Hmm, I owned a Spider III 15W for a couple hours. It was marginally better than the Marshall MG, I think it'd be nice if they put that construction cost into making a decent sounding amp instead of those gaudy effects.

I'd recommend dishing out 40-50 more dollars to get a Vox AD15VT or a Roland Cube. The best bit of advice I've ever taken here is to never skimp on an amp. A mediocre guitar (like the entry level ESP LTD I own) can sound pretty damn great when you're running it through an amp with decent build quality. I have the Vox, it sounds a million times better.
Who me? I'm not lying, I knew NOTHING about guitars and amps when I went out to buy what I wanted. I believed a bunch of stuff believing reviews that I was reading online... you know those ones that call the Marshall MG series "a great amp!" and such. I bought a Marshall MG 15W first. I didn't know any better and used it for a few days until I really caught on that it's an awful amp. I returned it for a Spider III 15W - which was about twice as expensive as the MG. The sales guy said it's an incredible amp. It sounded better, but it still had that fake-o distortion. I wanted something that actually sounds like a guitar, not some over-driven scratch sounding thing. To me, it wasn't worth two of those marshalls. I returned it and waited a while, bought a Vox AD15Vt. It's more expensive but it's amazing by comparison. It's not really fair since it's at a price point where quality starts coming in to play. You get what you pay for I guess, but it sucks when good amp companies put their names on shitty cash-in products with awful parts.

If it's any consolation, the Spider III did have a good clean channel. Hooray for that.