Hey guy's im having problems right now, because I am in a band, I'm lead guitarist, usually am rythm so this is new to me. How do I know what scale or key to solo in? for example in one song im supposed to play over
G----------------------------
D--9-9-12-12-11-11-7-7
A----------------------------
E----------------------------
sounds simple enough I'm sure, but i do not know where to start, so if anyone could help me know what scale to play in that would be incredible
Christian
well i play song that's close to that expect it goes 9-11-9-11-12-11-9-11-9-11 on D and everytime you it you hit an open A, My friend just plays the E major penatonic over it and it sounds cool.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
So....you don't know what key you're song is in?
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Lol. You're not a lead guitarist because you don't know how to play lead. You're not a rhythm guitarist because you don't understand or you can't pick out what key the song is in, or at least a general idea of what the resolving note/chord is.

My advice, instead of jumping in head first, read a book about it. The Berklee Press has some good improv books that give a very good unstanding of how to solo. We can't possible give you the knowledge you need in a single post.
well if ur friends going 9-9-12-12-11-7-7 just start with something like 9h11p9h12 and slowly work your way up to the fret board. tremelo pick. its basic stuff.
Quote by Battery.
well if ur friends going 9-9-12-12-11-7-7 just start with something like 9h11p9h12 and slowly work your way up to the fret board. tremelo pick. its basic stuff.

He wants to know which key to play lead, and solo in....

Anyways...

The notes are: B-B-D-D-C#-A-A

This could maybe be in the key of D, THEREFORE, you could use D major, or the B minor pentatonic, or C# locrian, or any of the other modes.

EDIT: I meant C# locrian
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

lol thats the reason why i stopped doing piano and taught myself guitar. to much scale remembering
Quote by modestmouse9191

Anyways...

This could maybe be in the key of D, THEREFORE, you could use D major, or the B minor pentatonic, or C# locrian, or any of the other modes.

true, you could also use B minor natural
Quote by NotAJock2Day
Go into a corner and think about what you just said.

hahahah fair enough i would still be learning but i changed teachers and well they kinda pissed me off so i quit couple of years later bought a guitar and taught myself
Quote by modestmouse9191

Anyways...

Thank you!
Christian