The slots should be met to match the action of the whole guitar.

Can I use an exacto knife to saw the slots?
Larrivée D-03R
US Fender Telecaster, Vox AC15
you can but it wont work on the low strings because its a lot thinner than the strings, maybe it would work on the first 3 though

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Quote by UniverseZero
you can but it wont work on the low strings because its a lot thinner than the strings, maybe it would work on the first 3 though

what kind of saw should I use then? and how wide should the slots be? I don't have access to a gent's saw, but I do have a metal hacksaw
Larrivée D-03R
im using a scissor on its edge, its working quite well i'll post a picture when im done
Larrivée D-03R
The nut slots should be differents widths and depths depending on the string guage.
I know this guitar is due soon so do it with the scissors now but make a new nut after it's graded.

If your that stuck for tools you could use some old strings as temp nut files.
i built a les paul and the nut i had needed the slots filed a bit deeper, i dont have files either, so what i did was take a set of old guitar strings, and took a real fine grit sandpaper (1000 grit) and i wrapped a bit around the string, then put it firmly into the nut slot, and held the string the way it would lay in the nut (makeing sure to aim it towards the correct tuner head.) then worked it back and fourth, and just sanded it down, worked pretty good.. Of course if your starting the slots from scratch, it would be alot of work..
Last edited by Bones420 at Jan 22, 2007,
heres how i did mine....

i had just a blank bone nut, i used an exacto knife to start all the string slots, which was good enough for the high E and almost for the B, then i used an old set of 11's which is what i play to widen out the G, D, A, and low E, the winding was rough enough to sand away the bone and made the slots perfectly sized for the strings i want to play!