so can you guys name some bands to check out?

musically, something like the Casualties or pennywise sounds good, ive been listening to a lot of them lately. high bpm, preferably something melodic.

i don't really go for stuff thats like LOL W3RE PUNX d00d CH3K my OI o1 r0flz! (like the casualties and unseen tend to do.) i also hate poppy, peppy riffs and songs in general. "competition song" by pennywise off of the fuse, and that one song by the casualties (punx unite, i think?) are a good example of what annoys the hell out of me.

but yeah, thanks.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
The Unseen - "State Of Discontent" and "Lower Class Crucifixion"- the oldest and newest album, I think they're the best ones.

Meh, now i've realised u dont like the unseen, even though they're awesome. Most people don't include Rise Against as punk but yeah I like them and I'd say listen to revolutions Per Minute.

Exit English and Change Is A Sound by Strike Anywhere. I dunno how much you're into punk but you've probably already heard these bands.
Early or Epitaph-era Agnostic Front sounds like it would be good for you. Also check out Oxymoron, the Suspicion, the Turbo A.C.'s, One Way System, and A Global Threat.
Quote by Adam_Harrison9
you've probably already heard these bands.

yup. anyone else? im kind of gonna download everything all at once, so id like to build up a pretty decent list of maybe 6-7 bands.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Last edited by aequitasveritas at Jan 22, 2007,
Quote by aequitasveritas
so can you guys name some bands to check out?

musically, something like the Casualties or pennywise sounds good, ive been listening to a lot of them lately. high bpm, preferably something melodic.

i don't really go for stuff thats like LOL W3RE PUNX d00d CH3K my OI o1 r0flz! (like the casualties and unseen tend to do.) i also hate poppy, peppy riffs and songs in general. "competition song" by pennywise off of the fuse, and that one song by the casualties (punx unite, i think?) are a good example of what annoys the hell out of me.

but yeah, thanks.

wait wait wait...do you like them or Not?
i cant tell what the hell your talking about.

you've been listening to them...but u dont like them and they annoy the hell out of you
well i like their music, right? i enjoy the music.

but i don't like how they carry around the whole atmosphere of WE ARE PUNX LOOL. what annoys me about them is when they just milk their whole H3Y LOOK OV3R HeeR Oi Oi Oi L00l R0flz w3 B s0 PunX0rz. and when that gets into the 7 or 8 songs that do exactly that, it gets really annoying.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
check out some anarcho. such as:
Subhumans-The Day the country Died or From the Cradle to the Grave
Crass-The feeding of the 5000
Conflict-ungovernable force

i suggest the day the country died out of those.

by your high bpm thing you said, maybe you'd like some hardcore punk bands?

bad brains-self-titled
dead kennedys-in god we trust inc (not my fav but more hardcore)
Black Flag-first four years, or just get circle jerks group sex. same shit
or minor threat

out of those don't get the black flag or minor threat yet. wait on those. don't get minor threat until way later into your punk adventure. i suggest no urge to get bad brains

and seems you like some street. i suggest
oxymoron-the pack is back
a global threat-what the **** will change
not much more steet that is good.

if you want any of theses cds i think i got them. so pm me if ya want.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Of all those shitty 90's pseudo-punk bands, The Vandals and, especially, Guttermouth stand out as by far the best, though the former may be 'poppy'. Bands like The Casualties, frankly, make me wish I were dead (or could kill anyone I see in a levi jacket...) Cruci****s are awesome.

Beyond that, you didn't specify much. All I gathered was that you want something you would like (and all we have to go off of for things you like are the things you mentioned you don't really want more of) and that it should be melodic rather than moronic and angst-ridden. A wide range of music fits the bill, and God only knows how much Epitaph, etc. type stuff you already know about. I mention that because I am tempted to point out bands like, say, The Dead Milkmen, but I have a feeling most people will already have heard of a band like that. (If, somehow, you haven't heard of them: Get On It!)

I imagine you's need more obscure bands, so you wont have already heard of them, but I am at a loss as to what sort of things to list. Give a bit more background about what sort of stuff you listen to and where you may want to branch out.
Quote by mike2
check out some anarcho. such as:
Subhumans-The Day the country Died or From the Cradle to the Grave
Crass-The feeding of the 5000
Conflict-ungovernable force

i suggest the day the country died out of those.

by your high bpm thing you said, maybe you'd like some hardcore punk bands?

bad brains-self-titled
dead kennedys-in god we trust inc (not my fav but more hardcore)
Black Flag-first four years, or just get circle jerks group sex. same shit
or minor threat

out of those don't get the black flag or minor threat yet. wait on those. don't get minor threat until way later into your punk adventure. i suggest no urge to get bad brains

and seems you like some street. i suggest
oxymoron-the pack is back
a global threat-what the **** will change
not much more steet that is good.

if you want any of theses cds i think i got them. so pm me if ya want.

lol i have an unbelievable load of old hardcore already, mainly minor threat, black flag, and the dead kennedys. thanks anyways, bud. everyones suggested oxymoron so far, so i definitely think ill check them out.

Quote by RyanEck
I imagine you's need more obscure bands, so you wont have already heard of them, but I am at a loss as to what sort of things to list. Give a bit more background about what sort of stuff you listen to and where you may want to branch out.

lol i think so too.

i listen to mainly just generic punk with a lot of hardcore influences, but i really lean towards the melodic side of things. so yeah, melodic hardcore FTW. some bands as an example: pennywise, earlier rise against, earlier AFI, anti-flag, only crime, strung out, thought riot.

where i want to go:

something more thought riot-y/pennywise-ey, with more street and hardcore influence. again melodic stuff FTW. example: cheap sex.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Last edited by aequitasveritas at Jan 23, 2007,
Mike's suggestion of the Subhumans was good, too. And, by extension, Citizen Fish. And if like to any extent Minor Threat, can I safely assume you already know of Fugazi and all?
edited, lol, reread please. yeah, i have plenty of earlier/80's stuff.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
i don't really like some of the bands i suggested. minor threat annoys me and so does black flag. a global threat sucks now. and i don't like conflict cause Colin looks like a big douche. but i can safely say that subhumans or maybe bad brains are ones i would buy over in that list.

i was just suggesting on what you gave me.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

the modern lovers, devo, the jam, clash, reagan youth, and the plot to blow up the eiffel tower.
peace & chemicals
Have you heard Leftover Crack? And Tsunami Bomb might fit that sometimes. The guy that pointed out Bomb The Music Industry made me laugh, but they are good. And if you don't mind stepping outside the Punk thing to get your bit of melody, try out something like The Libertines or The Dandy Warhols, or Pixies.

And, again, Cruci****s.

(I loooove Minor Threat.)

(((Whenever I listen to anything remotely punkish, I mix The Delgados in there, too, if that's relevant)))
Last edited by RyanEck at Jan 23, 2007,
im just gonna suggest some bands now...
-stiff little fingers
-adicts
-agent orange
-annihilation time
-mc5
-stooges
-angel city outcasts
-blanks 77
-bomb the music industry
-the buisness
-the buzzcocks
-dead boys
-GBH
-gang of four
-lower class brats
-new york dolls
-oi polloi
-operation ivy
-radio birdman
-reagan youth
-the scarred
-sham 69
-street brats
-total chaos (old damn it. new sucks balls)
-wednesday night heroes
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by VodkaPunk

Dont plug you shitty band.

Try--
Annihilation time
Inmates
Career suicide
Deadfall
Ds-13
Amdi petersens arme
ETA
F*cked up
No hope for the kids
Formaldehyde junkies
Los crudos
9 shocks terror
Ripcord
Tragetelo
you would hate PUNK CORE records,

listen to:
Flogging molly
the Briggs
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Slick shoes
Eight fingers down
wow, good job guys.

i kinda want some newer stuff, like 90's forward...still something Cheap Sex-ish, besides for A Global Threat and Oxymoron (both of whom i downloaded a bunch). anything there for me? i still gotta look into all of these other bands too, so i might find some stuff but hey, more is always good.

thanks folks
Quote by SeveralSpecies