im checking into Laney, ive found a dealer near here (woot)
im looking for a tube amp... that's versitile ..
pricce range varies (hopfully udner 1500CND) ...
not looking for a stack, just a combo
i play mainly rock, metal ... but i also ride on jazz & blues

so essentialy, a amp that has good eq for distortion an crisp cleans

i was looking on the website and what not

ive found:

TT50
LC30-II (or 50 if i need)

any reviews? i will be checking these out on my own, but i would like to see opions at the moment

also ide take recomendations of other amps too, i can go used also
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
The TT sounds like it's for you. If you want really hardcore metal tones, a VH100R might work, but the TT has some amazinginly sparkly cleans.
VH100R
seems like it would be out of my price range
100 watt & its a head ... i dont gig, so i dont think thats nessesary ... do they have any smaller VH sizes
Rig:

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
^yup it's the VC series are the combo versions of the VH100R (C for Combo, H for Head). You can get 15 and 30 watt variants in numerous speaker configurations. In my experience, they're not quite as gainy as the VH but they're very good!
so new list

VC - heard this wasnt a high gain amp
LC30/50
TT50

^ any info on the LC?

& how about Peavey 5150? are they just heads, or they make combos?
Rig:

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Last edited by TinTin8 at Jan 22, 2007,
The LC is certainly higher gain than the VC or TT models, but bear in mind that the 30 watt models are Class A and the LC50 is A/B (I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but just remember they will sound different!).

The Peavey 5150 does come in a 2x12 combo format, but they're very different beasts. Lots and lots of gain (seriously, ridiculous amounts!), but the cleans are pretty flat and uninspiring. They're amazing if you only want to play metal or heavy rock, but I definitely wouldn't recommend them for blues or jazz!

Here's a clip of Paul Gilbert playing through the LC50 with an extra 2x12 cab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE
It can go quite a lot heavier, but you might want a good pedal if you want uber-aggressive metal sounds.
Last edited by Nolly at Jan 22, 2007,
mhm thanks

Lc & TT seem to me the higher gains w/ good cleans

so ... one more thing that gets brought up

the Class A & Class A/B

whats the difference? i know nothing about it
Rig:

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Quote by Nolly
The LC is certainly higher gain than the VC or TT models, but bear in mind that the 30 watt models are Class A and the LC50 is A/B (I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but just remember they will sound different!).

The Peavey 5150 does come in a 2x12 combo format, but they're very different beasts. Lots and lots of gain (seriously, ridiculous amounts!), but the cleans are pretty flat and uninspiring. They're amazing if you only want to play metal or heavy rock, but I definitely wouldn't recommend them for blues or jazz!

Here's a clip of Paul Gilbert playing through the LC50 with an extra 2x12 cab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE
It can go quite a lot heavier, but you might want a good pedal if you want uber-aggressive metal sounds.

the tt has a lot more gain than the lc. and what's more, what gain there is actually sounds good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
anyone answer the question about A & A/B ?
Rig:

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
^ a puts the whole signal though all the power tubes at all times. Class A/B puts less than the whole signal (but more than half, I believe) through the power tubes at all times, splits them into pairs. Something like that. It has to do with how they're biased.

To be perfectly honest, you should judge the amps on how they sound, not whether they're class A or A/B. Half the amps that claim to be class A are class A/B under normal operating conditions (overdrive) anyway.

And class A is NOT necessarily better than A/B, the B has nothing to do with the quality.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ thanks for clearing that up
Rig:

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
^

that's a gross simplification, to be honest, but it's close enough for a casual understanding of it (i.e. like my understanding, lol).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah sorry, I wasn't trying to say one was better than the other, just that you should bear in mind the tonal differences they bring about.

In fact, forget I even mentioned it it only adds more confusion! just go with your ears.

Funny, when I tried the LC, it wasn't alongside the TT but I thought it was gainier...
I've got an LC30 Mk II, the cleans are nice and it takes pedals well, I don't really rate the OD channel - it's a bit too dark and a little bit wooly for my taste, but here's a noodley kind of instrumental I did a while ago, all the guitars (using Ebow chorus and echo) are going through the clean channel on the LC30, this is a 26 MB file, but you can stream it:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/banal.snake/Blzvbzxkyiaxia.Wav
^^ heh, I was talking about my explanation being a simplification.

I didn't try them head to head either, but I'd have thought the tt had more gain. Or at least, sounded better with higher gain.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have the LC, its deffinetly got a nice, rounded rock crunch, but on its own its not great for metal, more like an Iomi/Sabbath kind of distortion. Its a really pedal friendly amp though, any pedal ive ever put through it sounded great, even the crappy pedals lol.
[Ibanez SZ320MH
BOSS SD-1, BOSS CE-5, BOSS CS-3, Crybaby Wah
Laney LC30

Quote by WantToLearn
i was biking with my guitar and it fell in a puddle of mud, i was like OH MAN and i whent home immediately and put it in a bucket of water