Page 1 of 2
Discuss the impressive tone, versitility, bang for buck and over all awesomeness of this hybrid modeling amp, And other than the input jack problem the other problems are easy to fix if you aren't completely mentally challenged, I own the ad30vt, greatest practice amp ever

Also, post your favorite amp models to mess around on, i love the uk '80s and ac30tb, and the fender models
And as the walls come down, and as I look in your eyes
my fear begins to fade, recalling all of the times
I have died, and will die.
It's all right. I don't mind.
this is a great amp if you really know how to use it. this really works like a tube amp and if you know a good bit of EQing then you can get this thing sounding great. i also have the AD30VT and the only thing i dont like about it is the speaker. if it went louder and had a new speaker i would be very happy. (which is why im getting the 50 watt version or the 100 watt and putting jensen speakers in it)
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
for dirty cleans imo, the boutique cl is the best. a strat plus that with the gain a bit high up has plenty girth but you can really control how dirty or completely clean it is by picking softer or rolling off the guitar's volume, but not really losing that warmth.

gain wise i love the UK 80's most, with US Higain as a moderate second. i love the crunchiness but at the same time the gain is high enough to pull off a lot of modern 'heavier' things.
when i really need gain i goto US Higain, turn up the treble a little bit, and that takes off where about halfway cranked UK '80s leaves off to more gain than i find a need for.
sometimes for a sound somewhat between the boutique cl and uk 80s i go for the ac15 setting. sounds nice and grainy but still has a cleanness to it, and some good old crunch.
my input jack hasnt gotten loose yet. and im considering a 10 inch jensen replacement, but im bad with money so i dont know if i ever will.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Tell me more about these jensen speakers, i havent heard much about them
Personally i love the blackface and the AC30 models. If i want more gain i'd go into the MArshall (UK 70s, 80s and modern) models. The nu-metal model is slightly too fuzzy for my liking though.
The Stuff!
I replaced the speaker in my Vox AD30VT with a Celestion G10 Vintage and it sounds so much better. It also is nearly three times louder.

I like the US High Gain, UK80s, Boutique CL and AC30TB models.
I use the US Higain primarily, UK '80s for Gn'R, UK Modern for Metallica and Slayer, and UK Blues for cleans.
Quote by Axeman99
It also is nearly three times louder.

Wow i didn't realise speaker changes had such extreme effects on volume.
The Stuff!
Last edited by thyme at Jan 22, 2007,
Quote by Axeman99
I replaced the speaker in my Vox AD30VT with a Celestion G10 Vintage and it sounds so much better. It also is nearly three times louder.

I like the US High Gain, UK80s, Boutique CL and AC30TB models.

Replacing the speaker on an ad30vt would really make it significantly louder? Can anyone verify this?
This was my first jump into real amps, and after playing a Fender Frontman 15G, you should have seen the smile on my face, when I got this.

For Pink Floydish stuff and such, I love the Boutique OD setting, with some chorus/delay, amazing tones. If I want to get a bit dirtier I put it in UK 70's and compressed. Just mess around with all the efefcts and amp models. A real bang for the buck, and the boutique clean with some reverb is amazing.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Boutique OD is one of my favorite settings, with gain pretty high. Clean, I use Tweed with a neck pickup. And just a question: has anyone found that UK 70's seems way too bassy and doesn't have that much distortion?
I bought the Vox AD15VT about 12 months ago for my first real amp (as aposed to the crappy SP-10 i got with my squier pack). I wasn't really up on amps and tones and i hadn't really discovered my true tone i was searching for. So i decided to get the Vox cos it modelled a few amps.

I am obsessed with blues music especially Eric Clapton in his Derek and the Dominos era and Blind Faith/Cream era. For me i use the UK 70's (Marshall Super Lead) for the cream like tones and i switch between the Tweed 4x12 (Fender Bassman) and Black 2x12 (Fender Twin) for my clapton tones. I like to experiment with the other amps. But i dont play on the high gain amps. I use the preset settings on the manual mode but i like to boost the gain to get a more overdriven sound. I think the Boutique amps (Dumbles) are amazing for Santana.

Mainly for effects i use the reverb, delay and the rotary speaker. I mess sometimes with the phaser or the flanger.

I am getting to the stage were i probably need to get a dedicated amp for jamming/gigging with a higher wattage.
Boutique Clean + chorus + reverb = jangle Nirvana.

I absolutely love my AD50. So did everyone who had to use it in our leavers' concert because the tech lot wanted to use the same amps for every act, so it was the choice between that and an MG for everyone else. Guess what was in high demand...
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by AndyNeeley
Replacing the speaker on an ad30vt would really make it significantly louder? Can anyone verify this?

no, but it might push more air, which would make it seem louder.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by cokeisbetter
Boutique OD is one of my favorite settings, with gain pretty high. Clean, I use Tweed with a neck pickup. And just a question: has anyone found that UK 70's seems way too bassy and doesn't have that much distortion?

i accually use the UK70's alot. i put my settings about high treble and bass with nearly no mids and a good amount a gain to give it that crunch. for clean i just pick softer but when i really want gain i use my DS-1. ive got the gain cranked on it and i get some Ozzy tones. (randy rhoads era). i love this amp and how much of a difference does the Celestion g10 make??
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Quote by tubab0y
no, but it might push more air, which would make it seem louder.

It does make it louder, speakers have something called sensitivity in their specifications. Its measured in decibels and is the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) the speaker can create at a particular wattage.

For instance, replacing a 97db sensitivity speaker with a 100db speaker will double the volume since a 3db increase is twice as loud.

This is part of the reason why valve amps sound louder than most SS amps because they usually have better quality speakers fitted. There are other reasons for this as well though.

Edit: ^ The G10 makes a noticeable difference imo, especially when you turn the amp up a bit. It gives a better bass response and seems to smooth out the treble a bit so it doesn't sound as harsh. I think it makes the UK70s and UK80s models in particular sound a lot better.

Also, don't underestimate the effect pickups have on this amp. Make sure you have hot pickups if you are looking for a high gain sound.
Last edited by Axeman99 at Jan 22, 2007,
Quote by Danno13
I use the US Higain primarily, UK '80s for Gn'R, UK Modern for Metallica and Slayer, and UK Blues for cleans.

Just out of curiosity, how well does it do for early metallica, i.e. Kill em all, ride the lightning, etc.? Considering this but I've heard it's not so great for metal. I have the pathfinder 15R now but I don't want to judge too much about it since I'm running a pacifica through it...
It does early Metallica pretty well on the UK modern model, or the UK80s if you crank the amp a bit.

You can do modern Metallica on the US High Gain mode too.
I found UK 70's or slightly past it, with a comp. effect really gives some great, dirty classic rock tones, I use the settings Gabel gave me a while back.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

i'm just jumping on the bandwagon here, my teacher had one of these babies, and i'm not gonna lie, it sounds a hell of a lot better than my 130w peavey transtube, i was blown away by the versatility, it went from black dog to stairway to heaven with a couple tweaks. needless to say, i was terrified the day i walked into his room and found a 15w crate piece of shit. he'll never replace my baby.....
Quote by Axeman99
It does make it louder, speakers have something called sensitivity in their specifications. Its measured in decibels and is the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) the speaker can create at a particular wattage.

For instance, replacing a 97db sensitivity speaker with a 100db speaker will double the volume since a 3db increase is twice as loud.

This is part of the reason why valve amps sound louder than most SS amps because they usually have better quality speakers fitted. There are other reasons for this as well though.

Edit: ^ The G10 makes a noticeable difference imo, especially when you turn the amp up a bit. It gives a better bass response and seems to smooth out the treble a bit so it doesn't sound as harsh. I think it makes the UK70s and UK80s models in particular sound a lot better.

Also, don't underestimate the effect pickups have on this amp. Make sure you have hot pickups if you are looking for a high gain sound.

Thanks for explaining speaker Specs. for me haha
Hey, im thinking about getting the 100watt head version of the valvetronix and getting a jensen loaded cab to go w/ it. Is this a good choice? If i didnt get that it would be a low end B-52 or Marshall around $400.
EDIT: http://www.valvetronix.net/ sound clips on there sound KICK ASS
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Last edited by soul_power at Jan 23, 2007,
with high gain it buzzes a bit but other than that i can get any tone i want from it and using my freinds dime pedal i can scoop it so harshly haha i love the dime tone
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by soul_power
Hey, im thinking about getting the 100watt head version of the valvetronix and getting a jensen loaded cab to go w/ it. Is this a good choice? If i didnt get that it would be a low end B-52 or Marshall around $400.
EDIT: http://www.valvetronix.net/ sound clips on there sound KICK ASS

I think it would be alright..you just have to get used to switching your channels if your gigging and having everything just right, these amps kick ass, Just a little bit on the difficult side to use compared to most, Alot of people just cant learn how to use them quickly and efficiently enough and go crazy saying they suck, Damn those poor little people
Quote by AndyNeeley
I think it would be alright..you just have to get used to switching your channels if your gigging and having everything just right, these amps kick ass, Just a little bit on the difficult side to use compared to most, Alot of people just cant learn how to use them quickly and efficiently enough and go crazy saying they suck, Damn those poor little people

Does it have a footswitch or is there one u can buy for it?
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
Does it have a footswitch or is there one u can buy for it?

You can buy it from wherever you buy your vox amp, its relatively cheap in most cases
Quote by Axeman99

Ok ok ok.. wait just a minute. a +3dB difference is equal to doubling the POWER, not the volume. +10 db is double the volume. Just because the wattage is doubled, doesn't mean the volume is. it takes 10 times the power to achives double the percieved volume. a 10 watt is only half as loud as the 100 watt.

No, that is not why tube amps sound louder, tube amps sound louder because their distortion is added linearly, not exponentially, like SS amps, and therefore, SS amps lose out on the harmonics that our ears are sensitive to. If you put a measuring device infront of a valve amp and an SS amp of same wattage, they would read the same, but your ear would disagree.

You just cannot say that speakers 30-40 years ago are louder or better than those today. In those days, the only reason we had stacks and stuff, was because 30 watts or so was the highest wattage rating available at that time, and putting them togather gave you higher wattages.
Last edited by Charso at Jan 23, 2007,
Quote by AndyNeeley
You can buy it from wherever you buy your vox amp, its relatively cheap in most cases

Is it just like a standard footswitch or does it have to be a vox?
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
There has to be a certain Vox footswtich but if a store sells the amps, they'll sell the right footswtich. Often times you get the footswitch free with the amp.

I bought a seperate one for my ad30vt, I think it was the VS002 or something like that, but anything above 50 usually comes with a footswtich.

I think I had one made for my little brother's vox, I'm not sure, but I don't think it would be too hard, would it? best bet to get one would probably be ebay.
I have the AD30, but it really annoys me how there is no effect loop. It's probably a stupid idea, but would I be able to install one into it/get it professionally done?
Quote by johnmalkin
I have the AD30, but it really annoys me how there is no effect loop. It's probably a stupid idea, but would I be able to install one into it/get it professionally done?

Well i don't think it would be that difficult to do, if you know what your doing, Otherwise find someone good and just ask around if they can haha, I'm guessing you want an effects loop for the pimped out ad30vt your making in your sig, Bad ass idea
Quote by Charso
Ok ok ok.. wait just a minute. a +3dB difference is equal to doubling the POWER, not the volume. +10 db is double the volume. Just because the wattage is doubled, doesn't mean the volume is. it takes 10 times the power to achives double the percieved volume. a 10 watt is only half as loud as the 100 watt.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking straight when I said that. You are right, 3dB increase is like double the power which is not double the volume. However in the Vox if you can percieve double the power then it is more like a 60W amp which means you are able to jam and gig with it.

I used to jam with a drummer with the original speaker and have the amp up full, whereas now I only have the master volume 1/3 of the way up and its plenty loud enough. So practically, the speaker upgrade has worked for me.

No, that is not why tube amps sound louder, tube amps sound louder because their distortion is added linearly, not exponentially, like SS amps, and therefore, SS amps lose out on the harmonics that our ears are sensitive to. If you put a measuring device infront of a valve amp and an SS amp of same wattage, they would read the same, but your ear would disagree.

I said it is part of the reason that valve amps appear louder, as generally speaking they come with decent quality speakers compared to SS amps where manufacturers quite often cut corners and fit cheaper speakers. There are exceptions to this though. There is also another reason that valve amps are usually rated up to the point where the power valves start to break up, but as we all know their is still a lot of usable volume beyond this point which actually sounds good thanks to power valve overdrive.

You just cannot say that speakers 30-40 years ago are louder or better than those today. In those days, the only reason we had stacks and stuff, was because 30 watts or so was the highest wattage rating available at that time, and putting them togather gave you higher wattages.

I wasn't saying anything about older speakers being better. In fact one of the newest speakers on the market is amongst the loudest and best sounding available, the G12 Century. It uses a neodymium magnet which is lightweight and has a sensitivity of 102dB.

Anyway, thanks for correcting me on the first point
Quote by Axeman99
Sorry, I wasn't thinking straight when I said that. You are right, 3dB increase is like double the power which is not double the volume. However in the Vox if you can percieve double the power then it is more like a 60W amp which means you are able to jam and gig with it.

I used to jam with a drummer with the original speaker and have the amp up full, whereas now I only have the master volume 1/3 of the way up and its plenty loud enough. So practically, the speaker upgrade has worked for me.

I said it is part of the reason that valve amps appear louder, as generally speaking they come with decent quality speakers compared to SS amps where manufacturers quite often cut corners and fit cheaper speakers. There are exceptions to this though. There is also another reason that valve amps are usually rated up to the point where the power valves start to break up, but as we all know their is still a lot of usable volume beyond this point which actually sounds good thanks to power valve overdrive.

I wasn't saying anything about older speakers being better. In fact one of the newest speakers on the market is amongst the loudest and best sounding available, the G12 Century. It uses a neodymium magnet which is lightweight and has a sensitivity of 102dB.

Anyway, thanks for correcting me on the first point

well, when you said tube amps were louder because they were fitted with better speakers, I believed that was wrong. but most vintage amps (actual old amps, not reissues or anything) had weak, low volume speakers compared to todays, high dB speakers, yet they were still "louder" because of the way tubes produced their sound. In the golden age of tube amps, speakers were generally ow quality compared to today's amps, which is why high db speakers are wanted for solid state amps, since it allows them to be some what loud at low volumes of the head.

Since vox valvetronix amps are hybrid, with a SS powerstage, it's not really going to cut through like an all tube amp, and 60 watts hybrid are more like 60 SS watts hybrid.
Last edited by Charso at Jan 23, 2007,
so the Celestion G10 accually makes a difference? does it go a little bit louder? does it sound better at high volumes?
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
You guys are making me think about adding a Celestion G10 in my ad30vt, About how much would this speaker cost and im guessing its easy to install
Celestion g10 should run about $80-90, and as long as its the appropriate ohm rating(matching the vox head unit) then yes it will be easy to install. It will change the characteristics of the vox amp, and it may be louder, it all depends on the efficiency (SPL) of the speakers.

if the SPL is higher, then you will be able to achieve higher volumes than before, but it really depends on the speaker difference. IE, if your speaker was originally 93 db rated, then getting an eminence lil texas will pproximately double the volume.
For anyone who wants the early Lennon rhythm tone ("All My Loving"):

Amp Model: AC30TB
Gain: right before the "G" in "Gain"
Volume: Maxed
Treble: Maxed
Middle: Lowest (none)
Bass: Lowest (none)
Effect: Bypassed
Master: However loud you want it

Edit: the tone knobs on your guitar should be maxed
Ben
Last edited by muffinman123192 at Jan 24, 2007,
Quote by Charso
Celestion g10 should run about $80-90, and as long as its the appropriate ohm rating(matching the vox head unit) then yes it will be easy to install. It will change the characteristics of the vox amp, and it may be louder, it all depends on the efficiency (SPL) of the speakers.

if the SPL is higher, then you will be able to achieve higher volumes than before, but it really depends on the speaker difference. IE, if your speaker was originally 93 db rated, then getting an eminence lil texas will pproximately double the volume.

K, too more questions, Where can i buy this speaker and i have the stock speaker for it, how much of a difference would that make
Quote by AndyNeeley
K, too more questions, Where can i buy this speaker and i have the stock speaker for it, how much of a difference would that make

just google it. Generally, you won't hear it at first, but later on, you will notice a difference. Speakers need time to break in, so for the first hour or two you won't really hear the difference that makes. Who wil really hear the difference are the people, 15-25 feet away from you.
Page 1 of 2