How close do these amps sound to real tube amps? I need a gigging amp that can go from blues/classic rock, to things a little bit harder. I have 425 USD, would you recommend the valvetronix, peavey valveking, ashdown fallen angel, crate v15, epiphone blues standard or fender blues junior?
Last edited by Firebird7 at Jan 21, 2007,
get the 50 watt vox valvetronix. its VERY loud. trust me and i beleive me the do sound like tube anps. if you know how to work them properly. just you gotta know how to EQ and the manual teaches you everything. if i can figure this amp out then im sure you could.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
i would say blues junior. better tone, better investment.

the vox sounds good, but it gets annoying how unresponsive the eq knobs can be sometimes because of the way it tries to duplicate another sound, rather than that plus 'doing its own thing' as well.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Out of the ones you listed: Either the ValveKing or the Fallen Angel by FAR. Much louder than the Valvetronix, if thats an issue. Plus, real tube crunch is better than simulated tube crunch (in this situation anyways).
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Out of the ones you listed: Either the ValveKing or the Fallen Angel by FAR. Much louder than the Valvetronix, if thats an issue. Plus, real tube crunch is better than simulated tube crunch (in this situation anyways).

I don't think those would work as well for the blues/classic rock he plays.

The blues junior is a very nice amp, though you may need an overdrive pedal.
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
Quote by The_Okie
The blues junior is a very nice amp, though you may need an overdrive pedal.

I picked up a Crate V16 yesterday for my son. Very nice amp. Rivals the Blues Jr in every way, except maybe that the reverb is pretty weak. The amps sell for the same price new, but the Crates go for less on the used market. I got mine for less than the price of their V8 new. I'd bet you could find a V32 in your price range, and find that it does just about everything you want it to do.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Ooh...

Also, the Crate comes into the house to replace a Vox AD30VT, which I do think is a great first/practice amp, but it's just not a tube.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.