andersoncouncil
au psychédélique
1,271 IQ
Okay, I'm trying to pull my band together.

The drummer is new to drumming. I plan on lending him my metronome to help him out. I've jammed with him once. We seem to have excellent chemistry.

I plan on playing bass. I don't have one right now, but I will get one soon. It's just become too hard to find a competent bassist.

The guitarist and I are having some musical differences. He wants to cover songs such as "Scar Tissue" and other soft stuff. I like soft stuff. But it's very boring to play on a bass. I want to play songs with impressive bass parts. I've suggested old school RHCP and some Rage, but he doesn't like that stuff at all. He also seems to shrug off jam sessions, I've only jammed with him once.

We (at least the drummer and I) do plan on writing things, but after we have a little more experience playing together.

I've also been invited to joing a punk rock band as a drummer. At first I thought this would be good because I could have one band where I'd be the creative force, and one where I could relax and have fun. I can see a few problems here though.

1. I have zero experience playing drums, but I just changed in symphonic band from T-bone to percussion. When I told them I had zero experience with drumming they said it didn't matter because their old drummer sucked.

2. I asked the guitarist what music theory he knew and he started listing his favorite bands.

3. My drumset is being used by my drummer in my original band and these guys don't own a drumset.

Okay, so my questions are:

What do I do about the guitarist in the band I'm starting?
Is it a bad idea to join this other band?
Zuka
698 IQ
Find common ground between you and the other guitarist. Birds of a feather, I believe it is.
vantage4
299 IQ
find another guitarist, we're a dime a dozen. and if the other band doesn't sound like they have their shit together then it probably won't get very far, but if you don't mind that aspect then it might be good just for the experience.
andersoncouncil
au psychédélique
1,271 IQ
Quote by vantage4
find another guitarist, we're a dime a dozen.

Not around here.
burntfacedog
Registered Abuser
266 IQ
I'd say kick the guitarist. He sounds like a bit of an arsehole and there's heaps of them out there.
Quote by Skwisgaar Skwigelf
Fish don't gots no good metal to listens to.
maggutbrain
Banned
12 IQ
punk rock knows no theory fool, what do you think power chords are for?
civildp1
UG's resident narcoleptic
217 IQ
you think scar tissue is boring to play on bass? you must be playing it wrong.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
andersoncouncil
au psychédélique
1,271 IQ
Quote by maggutbrain
punk rock knows no theory fool, what do you think power chords are for?

I honestly don't think he even knows power chords.
Quote by civildp1
you think scar tissue is boring to play on bass? you must be playing it wrong.

Ok. But it's not near as awesome as something like Know Your Enemy or Sir Pshyco Sexy is on bass.
Shredlet
UG Fanatic
1,160 IQ
dude my band loves rage, my bassist is all like lets play calm like a bomb coz i want do the intro and we can only play one song perfectly and its Bulls on Parade. just kick out ur guitarist or try to broaden his musical taste
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
Forcemaster
874 IQ
You can't dismiss as song because the bass parts are 'boring' that's immaturity right there.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
andersoncouncil
au psychédélique
1,271 IQ
Quote by Forcemaster
You can't dismiss as song because the bass parts are 'boring' that's immaturity right there.

I didn't dismiss it. I'm fine with playing it. I just want something that's exciting to play in addition to softer songs. And everthing the guitarist suggests that is "hard-rock-ish" is pop punk.
Last edited by andersoncouncil at Jan 22, 2007,
ar73m
Fantastik Pandastik
526 IQ
If you're confident enough with your skills, you could try writing your own bass lines for songs that seem too easy to be fun for you?
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
andersoncouncil
au psychédélique
1,271 IQ
It's not that they're too easy. It's that I don't like that style of music.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear enough.
GiantRaven
UG Spammer
1,301 IQ
1. Compramise with the guitarist, you'll play his songs if he plays yours
2. The second band seems like a bit of a lost cause to me, it could become some uneeded stress

Oh and...

2. I asked the guitarist what music theory he knew and he started listing his favorite bands.

Tsunoyukami
543 IQ
Well I just want to say that even though you may not like the style of music the guitarist does doesn't always mean that he will get an really exciting progression or riff to play. It's not too often you see bass being played as more of a lead instrument (at least nowadays) and most basslines today are very simple with only a few exciting bars mixed in for variation.

Remember that whenever one instrument is playing something exciting oftentimes the rest of the band is there for support. Take turns on choosing songs you want to play but make sure the drummer is okay with these things too.