Alright i'm in the process of selling off my solid state amp and i'm now looking towards a tube amp. I mainly am looking to achieve the tone of bands such as Weezer, Foo Fighters, and some punk stuff like lagwagon and alkaline trio. I'm also in a band during the summer so being able to gig with it would be a plus. Budget is $500-$800. Thanks.
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Duncan SH-6 in bridge)
Fender 50's Stratocaster (Duncan Hotrails in bridge)
Fender Standard Telecaster (Fender SCN Pickups)
Marshall JCM 900 4500
Vox DA5
Last edited by Cosmo87 at Jan 21, 2007,
I see you like the modern rock tones? I say get yourself a mesa double reticifer.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
^ youre a moron.

a dual (not double) recto does METAL well, i'm sure it does "modern rock" well too, but you don't need such a high gain amp for such a generic sound. think before you post random shit next time.

also, his budget is $800, sherlock.

TS, try a b-52 AT212 combo. supposed to be metal-oriented, but seems damn versatile from what i can tell. that, or a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
Last edited by aequitasveritas at Jan 21, 2007,
Quote by Jinskee
I see you like the modern rock tones? I say get yourself a mesa double reticifer.

Lol Id like to know where you can get a mesa dual for 500-800 dollars....

Anyways Id look into Traynors, they have tubes like the YCV40 that are pretty good amps for relatively cheap
Quote by OLP1
Lol Id like to know where you can get a mesa dual for 500-800 dollars....

Anyways Id look into Traynors, they have tubes like the YCV40 that are pretty good amps for relatively cheap

Used, combo, sorry- forgot to mention that.

Quote by aequitasveritas
^ youre a moron.

a dual (not double) recto does METAL well, i'm sure it does "modern rock" well too, but you don't need such a high gain amp for such a generic sound. think before you post random shit next time.

I'm sorry, but I"m just suggesting what I've tried. It works, doesn't it? Yes, okay.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Last edited by Jinskee at Jan 21, 2007,
I agree with recommending used. You can get some amazing amps used if you don't care about aesthetics. I've seen Mark III combos for $550. I've seen a Single Recto head used in like-new condition for $900. A Mesa/Boogie high-gain amp would definitely get you what you're looking for.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I agree with recommending used. You can get some amazing amps used if you don't care about aesthetics. I've seen Mark III combos for $550. I've seen a Single Recto head used in like-new condition for $900. A Mesa/Boogie high-gain amp would definitely get you what you're looking for.

Atleast someone agrees with me.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I would highly recommend a Carvin MTS or B-52 AT series in this case. Both extremely cheap, versatile, and all tube. I got my Carvin MTS head and Genz-Benz 2x12 for $775; new, you can get the MTS combo for 850 or the B-52 for 750. Used, you could easily get either for 5 or $600. A Marshall used JCM might be a good choice as well, if you don't play metal.
Last edited by De Amazing Blob at Jan 22, 2007,
^ I agree with the JCM recommendation (I'm not going against your B-52 or Carvin recommendation, but I have no personal experience with either of those makes). I haven't played an 800, but I was really impressed when I played the JCM 900. Really nice crunch and the cleans were bright and lively. Bit darker and fuller sounding, IMO, than the usual EL34-driven Marshalls. But those and the 800s are only available used; however, they should be right in the range you're looking for.
Hi, I'm Peter
^Meh, I wouldn't recommend a VK, they break down too often (from what I've heard) and don't sound that great.
Quote by De Amazing Blob
^Meh, I wouldn't recommend a VK, they break down too often (from what I've heard) and don't sound that great.
+1.

B-52 AT-212. That's what I got for $500-$800.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy