I have a Boss Distortion pedal and a Boss Overdrive pedal

I am planning on saving 500-600 dollars to buy a new amp

would I be better off buying an amp with a really good clean tone and using the pedals or an amp with good distortion and not really use the pedals as much

or any other suggestions would help

I play mainly Grunge, Punk, and Classic rock

so I usually use the Overdrive more

thanks
For classic rock you're better of with a tube amp that has good overdrive. Classic rock tones come from a mixture or preamp distortion and poweramp breakup.

For grunge and punk anything goes really. So I'd look for an amp that can do classic rock on it's own then use the pedals for a boost for grunge and punk.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
i would get a cheaper amp with a higher wattage, like a peavey. then use the pedals but i have a multieffects pedal and i will use it always because i l ike the versatility. a fer examples are peavey studio pro 112, peavey bandit II or peavey 110 EFX are some to check out.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Vintage
Digitech RP 100A
Kustom Quad 100 DFX
Washburn D10S Deluxe (electric acoustic)
I have an aerodyne telecaster
and a line 6 spider 2 amp

im looking to buy a better amp though

don't really like mine
Peavey Bandit 112 is great!
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
classic rock you will want a good tube amp with good classicy sounding overdrive. If you played a more varied style of music, like I do, I'd say get a guitar processor like a boss GT-8 or a Digitech GNX-1,2,3, or 4.

pepsi
Quote by pepsi_lovr
classic rock you will want a good tube amp with good classicy sounding overdrive. If you played a more varied style of music, like I do, I'd say get a guitar processor like a boss GT-8 or a Digitech GNX-1,2,3, or 4.

pepsi

Yeah, but the processors suck.

Classic Rock needs some good cleans, too. You're gonna have to look at some versatile amps.
Sent from my iPad.
you always want to have a solid amp.....Pedals shouldnt make your tone it should only highlighted them and express your tone more......Look for a good sounding amp that is reliable and verstaile, for the kind of music your talking about you should be able to get the job done by having little to no effects...Look at the new crate vx series or something like that....there pretty good for beginners and guys that cant spend allot of money to get a real amp.