Alright, I'm at that point where I need to make a decision. I want to buy either a Fender Mexican Strat or an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I've been looking around the gear picture thread and noticed that a lot of people like the Epi LP. What does everyone think. I play almost any kind of music except metal.
My Gear:
• Fender MIA Olympic White Maple Strat
• Gibson Les Paul Studio (Cherry)
• Epiphone 1966 G400 SG (Cherry)
• Fender Twin Reverb
• Marshall JCM800 (coming soon)
I'm personally partial to the Strat myself. I love the sound, I love the feel, I love the look, I'm a strat kind of guy. LPs are too heavy, but I assume you already know all this. My vote is for the strat either way though.
Weight was an issue. I haven't had any weight problems with my MIA strat. I might go with that but I was really impressed with the comparison between the Epiphone and my Gibson.
My Gear:
• Fender MIA Olympic White Maple Strat
• Gibson Les Paul Studio (Cherry)
• Epiphone 1966 G400 SG (Cherry)
• Fender Twin Reverb
• Marshall JCM800 (coming soon)
You're going to get VERY different tones out of a Strat and a Les Paul...

What it comes down to is really whether you prefer the humbucker or single coil tone.
Unless you get an H-S-S strat, lol.

EDIT: For the most part, a Stratocaster sounds like a Stratocaster and a Les Paul sounds like a Les Paul. The two are pretty much polar opposites.

That's why we buy Custom 22's with coil tapping
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100
Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume Pedal

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King
'69 Fender Super Bassman
Last edited by WayToSuck at Jan 22, 2007,
um if you compare them both, objectivly, I find that the epiphone is a better overall instrument but in my personal case I prefer Stratocasters and as such, the stratocaster sound so even though I realaize that the Epiphone is a better overall instrument because I would want a strat sound I'd get the strat.

It all depends on what you want to play.
as much as i love gibsons i would have to go with the strat...the les pauls are far too heavy imo. both guitars have nice tone tho :P
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
Wait.. You own an MIA strat and a Gibson Les Paul Studio. Why are you buying an Epiphone or a Mexican Fender?
Chips, that's exactly what I was thinking. Out of the two I'm saying strat all the way (I have one and my bro has the epi lp custom) I LOVE my strat, so very very sexual.

Having said that, why do you want either if you already have a better version of both?

Conclusion: BUY A TELE!
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Maybe he's doing some sort of tour and doesn't want to take his better guitars on the road with him? anything can happen.

It all depends on what sound you are going for because they are 2 VERY different guitars, play them both and see.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
as I always say, get a plain top les paul, so it has no alder
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
The Strat is better than an Epi LP in most ways unless you play metal which is why you should get the Strat