Hey guys, do you think the placebo effect is a such thing. How does one use the placebo effect to their advantage? Anyway, I was wondering if you though the Placebo was a legit theroy or total bull. Discuss.
Quote by Qazxs
I got kicked out of a Mac store when me and my friends simultaneously put on meatspin on all of the computers in the store. Some eleven or twelve year old looking girls there freaked out.
Seems reasonable.
Why not?
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
The mental effect known as placebo, not the band ^^
Quote by Qazxs
I got kicked out of a Mac store when me and my friends simultaneously put on meatspin on all of the computers in the store. Some eleven or twelve year old looking girls there freaked out.
im not so sure about it. maybe with less noticeable things it works. Like ibuprofen (advil) or something. but say, not with vikaden.
It's been scientifically proven to be effective 100% of the time if done properly.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Well if you know it's a placebo, it's not gonna, innit.
I didn't have a signature until now.
how about the programs with the wave simulators that can simulate pot or LSD or coffe or stuff like that? Is it all in your head?
Quote by Qazxs
you cant really use a placebo on yourself, as youd know it was a placebo, and it wouldn't work
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
Quote by guitar_freak333
how about the programs with the wave simulators that can simulate pot or LSD or coffe or stuff like that? Is it all in your head?

woah, i never heard about that. ellaborate please? sounds interesting.
Quote by guitar_freak333

Only if you had no idea you actually hadn't just taken the drugs. Pardon the double negative.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by guitar_freak333
Hey guys, do you think the placebo effect is a such thing. How does one use the placebo effect to their advantage? Anyway, I was wondering if you though the Placebo was a legit theroy or total bull. Discuss.

it helps even out some effects for experimental medicine. your mind tricks you in thinking that you are taking something that should help you and so it creates strong self fulfilling prophecies. people thing that the "treatment" is effecctive. but yeah, i believe its a legit theory according to psychology.
The Placebo affect is always there. If people think that a pill will cure them then their mood hieghtens, once their mood hightens then their body produces less of a specific chemical which makes people depressed and as a result they get better.

However, IMO, if someone gets cured of cancer by a natural remedy then its not a placebo, despite what the Health system and pharmaceutical companies tell us
Quote by J.R.R. Tolkein
All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.

Quote by CowboyUp
If a mute swears, does his mum wash his hands with soap?

Food for thought from AussiE
Quote by guitar_freak333
The mental effect known as placebo, not the band ^^

i know what you were talking about.
As they say, ignorance is a bliss

EDIT: Yes, placebos in som cases do work, our minds are alot more powerful than you think.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

placebo effect is definetly real... people dont give the human mind enough credit for the way the body feels and reacts under dufferant circumstances.
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
I thinkj it would be pretty cool to experiment with the effect.
Quote by Qazxs
can there be a reverse placebo effect then? like if you are actually taking real medicine but they told you its a placebo? will your mind trick you in thinking that it really will not heal you?
The is a program that has been proven to give you the effects of drugs through sound files. Called "I-Doser
The audio thing is called Brainwave Synchronisation, I've tried it actually. The first time I got really alert for a while afterwards, the next time I had a migraine for a day or two.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by synd_lv_nd_pz
can there be a reverse placebo effect then? like if you are actually taking real medicine but they told you its a placebo? will your mind trick you in thinking that it really will not heal you?

No because with proper medication, your body is being treated by the pills irrespective of what your thinking. With placebos your body is being treated by your mind thinking that your getting better.
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.
anyways.... http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3600342/I-Doser
There you go
I-doser with lots of different drug simulations. I've only tried the french roast thing that is a sample, but I think I felt a bit awake, 'couse I was kinda tired when I started listening to it.
So yeah, I believe Placebo is the shit
...And the worms ate into his brain.
There was a thread about the brainwave generator awhile back. Didn't work for me, but some people swore by it. But since sound has very little to do with brain activity, I doubt it has any real effect except the placebo effect.
i dunno about its medical uses, but you can generally think yourself drunker, or soberer than you are, and its worked to some extent for pain relief with me...I think.
The placebo effect is pretty deep. it's used for lots of things, and if you pull it off properly it WILL work.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
it depends on the person. for me i get hungry when i see other people eat. so, i almost never get hungry on my own.
Quote by Rory's_strat
Question:
If a balding man took a placebo pill being told that it was a hair growth pill, would he grow any hair??

hmm...im guessing u could convince urself u had more hair than if actually did if thats any good to u
really i beleive this thing works on certain occasions i dont know about curing people but we messed with one of my friends and gave him a advil that we had shaved the letters off and told him it was a painkiller after a while of him slurring and stuff we told him what we done and he said he really felt that way and thought we lied and it really was a painkiller so, yeah i beleive it
If you have trouble getting to sleep, and someone gives you a pill and they say it will help you sleep you believe that it won't be difficult to get to sleep, so you can.
Quote by mh400nt
Theres rats running around outside my window, one of them has an apple, he looks very happy about this.

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Oh ****

Aaaah well. It gives me an excuse to rape.

Quote by Jaymz_515
Bunnywunnywabbitywoos.
Why would someone slur their speech and stuff after a single painkiller? ...
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by JD7
What?

lol.

But yes of course the placebo effect works. You'd most likely have to not know it was fake though.
the placebo effect is real, a friend made my friends feel high+sleepy form smoking TEA LEAVES
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
Last edited by purplegreendave at Jan 25, 2007,