i have a creative x-fi platinum and i want to hook a mic up to it, but it doesnt have a mic input.. it has one like the size for a guitar cord... someone told me they make adapters... so where can i get an adapter from?
and whats the best 8-track software? ... i want to record like vocals and guitar.. how clear will this record?
thanks
some help please.. i want to buy a mic on wednesday.. i think im going to get a shure sm57
Quote by risingson
i have a creative x-fi platinum and i want to hook a mic up to it, but it doesnt have a mic input.. it has one like the size for a guitar cord... someone told me they make adapters... so where can i get an adapter from?
and whats the best 8-track software? ... i want to record like vocals and guitar.. how clear will this record?
thanks

You're looking for an impeadance matching adapter. You can pick them up at a music store or radio shack. It's better to use a mixer / pre-amp - something that is designed for the XLR balanced input of the mic and outputs the signal at a line level to go into your 1/4" card port. The adapter is kind of heavy and will physically weigh down on the soundcard's jack causing a short list of problems. But it will work fine.

As far as sequencing software, I'm always going to recommend Cakewalk. I've heard Cubase is good too. There are some others and I think they're all decent. The thing is, you need to go with a brand that has a nice variety so you can upgrade as pro as you want. Some brands don't offer much so once you get really good at all this and want more of this and that, they don't have it. Then you have to re-learn another program that does offer these things. So, go with a good one - Cakewalk, Cubase - stay away from Pro Tools though.

I don't know how clear your soundcard will record. You can do both vocals and guitar with that mic, although get a decent windscreen for vocals. The SM57 is a directional mic, good bandwidth, but you'll need to sing straight into it. It's definitely the work horse of audio engineering. But I'd get a dedicated vocal mic as soon as you can afford one.
ok.. so with a mixer/preamp.. id plug my microphone into that.. and then plug that into the line in or mic input on my soundcard? ... and then anytime i click record on any recording program, itll go off the mic right? thanks.. that helps me alot, cuz im confuzed as hell.. thanks for that guide too, ill read it when i get a chance.
and then... all i have is an acoustic guitar.. so im just gonna put the mic up to it... so is there any good programs that i can change how the sound sounds when its recorded.. for instance, lowering the sound to mimic a bass guitar, or add distortion?
Quote by risingson
ok.. so with a mixer/preamp.. id plug my microphone into that.. and then plug that into the line in or mic input on my soundcard? ... and then anytime i click record on any recording program, itll go off the mic right? thanks.. that helps me alot, cuz im confuzed as hell.. thanks for that guide too, ill read it when i get a chance.
and then... all i have is an acoustic guitar.. so im just gonna put the mic up to it... so is there any good programs that i can change how the sound sounds when its recorded.. for instance, lowering the sound to mimic a bass guitar, or add distortion?

First question: Yes, into the line-in on your soundcard. You'll use the line in because the mixer / preamp will output what's called a "line level" signal.

Second question: Yes, it will be ready to record. Provided, of course, you have your mixer turned on...

Last question: Yes, Cakewalk. Any of these audio sequencers will do that. That's their job actually. To take the sound and do all these freaky things with it. Although, nothing sounds like a bass other than a bass, the pitch shifter effect can get your guitar to mimic one. And there are plenty of amp sims to add the distortion with.
so where can i get one of these preamps, and how much do they cost?
links would be great. thanks
Quote by risingson
so where can i get one of these preamps, and how much do they cost?
links would be great. thanks

Any music store. They cost as little as 20 bucks, up to thousands of dollars. If I were you, I'd get a mixer since they have preamps built in. Then you can set up different channels for various apps - like channel 1 is setup for vocals, channel 2 set up for mic'ing acoustic guitar, channel 3 set up for something else...etc.

Here's some preamps at musician's friend...http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?page=1&N=100001&Ntk=All&Ntt=preamp&Nty=1&Ns=P_Price%7C0

Just do a search on mixers, or whatever you decide.